Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Half Off on smallHD Focus 5 Wireless Monitors *Today Only/B&H Deal Zone*
    Smokin’ deal. $749 or $1399 for a combo kit.

Monitor w/built-in Rx
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._rx_field.html

Monitor w/built-in Tx

Combo: one monitor/Rx & one monitor/Tx

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I nearly jumped, but given the reviews and my experience with Smallhd falling apart, i am hesitant. Still, crazy deal.

You have experience with that monitor? Seems there are some that work flawlessly, which makes the deal very tempting.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I nearly jumped, but given the reviews and my experience with Smallhd falling apart, i am hesitant. Still, crazy deal.

You have experience with that monitor? Seems there are some that work flawlessly, which makes the deal very tempting.
    I have not used the wireless Focus, but I have, I believe, seven smallHD monitors, including three Focus 5's that I love(2x SDI OLED's and 1x HDMI OLED), so I did jump on the wireless Rx model. I have a Teradek 500 XT Tx/Rx set, already.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I have not used the wireless Focus, but I have, I believe, seven smallHD monitors, including three Focus 5's that I love(2x SDI OLED's and 1x HDMI OLED), so I did jump on the wireless Rx model. I have a Teradek 500 XT Tx/Rx set, already.
    Makes a ton of sense if you already have the 500 XT.

Iím gonna reach out to a director friend and see if he likes it.

How is the 5Ē real estate for you?

5. Collapse Details
    A super handy piece of kit, however the middling 720p resolution, small 5" screen and underwhelming brightness make it hard to jump on. A 2000 Nit 703 version would absolutely be useful though.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    A super handy piece of kit, however the middling 720p resolution, small 5" screen and underwhelming brightness make it hard to jump on. A 2000 Nit 703 version would absolutely be useful though.
    The Cine 7 Rx and Tx units are on sale too. Just not 50%

Directly on the Smallhd website.

I had been eyeing the Red/Arri control kits. Which are also on sale.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Makes a ton of sense if you already have the 500 XT.

I’m gonna reach out to a director friend and see if he likes it.

How is the 5” real estate for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    My go-to on-cam monitor used to be my DP7Pro OLED's, but after using the Focus 5 the first time, it became my go-to, mostly because of it's smaller size and easier/more elegant mounting and powering solution(the OLED's are 1080P, though)(and I still carry BOTH in my cam support bag). Yes, the Rx model is 720P and LCD, BUT this is a small, light-weight and streamlined one-piece producer/director/client type wireless monitor. I think it will be perfectly fine for its intended purpose. It's brighter than my OLED's and I've used them outside. Critical technical decisions probably aren't going to be made off of it. Although this may give me something that I've wanted for well over 15 years: a small wireless monitor that I could walk around with and adjust lights or objects in the shot when you can't or can't easily see your main production monitor.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    How well do the focus 5’s callibrate or out of box look? I’ve only seen the 702HB, Cine7, and 503HB, of the more recent offerings.

Cine7 seems like it could calibrate nicely, but i hadn’t the chance yet. And the 503 i use more like a framing device when operating and only making very general judgements on exposure and colour. I suppose we could get use to it, but that takes weeks of constant use.

9. Collapse Details
    Out of the box with the factory calibration LUT on, they(the OLED versions) look good, if maybe just a little dark. You are supposed to be able to auto calibrate them with a proprietary version of an Xrite probe, but I don't have one and apparently they have been discontinued(not sure what that means, exactly. Did it not work well or did just no one buy it?).

*edit* After looking at B&H, apparently the system didn't work well. Out of the nine reviews, six were either 1 or 2 star reviews and the majority of those were 1 star.
    Last edited by Run&Gun; 06-01-2020 at 09:13 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Out of the box with the factory calibration LUT on, they(the OLED versions) look good, if maybe just a little dark. You are supposed to be able to auto calibrate them with a proprietary version of an Xrite probe, but I don't have one and apparently they have been discontinued(not sure what that means, exactly. Did it not work well or did just no one buy it?).
    All i know is the monitors would often crash when trying to calibrate, and some people complained there wasnít enough colour patches to get a good result.

Cool, well, i think i got my buddy to buy one, iíll hit him up and see if he bit. Seems like a great tool to stay on top of the action. There is always a bigger 1080 or 4K monitor available for more crucial decisions. This thing is so light weight. It seems awesome.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast