1. Collapse Details
    Seven Samurai Kurosawa Night Exterior.
    Decided to watch Seven Samurai for the first time for a class. Does anyone know how they lit the night exteriors?I tried looking around online but I couldnt find any information. Its crazy what they achieved cinematography wise with this movie.

2. Collapse Details
    It's a masterpiece. And they didn't have the fast film stocks back then. I have to watch it again and pay attention to the source for the night exteriors... BTW if you haven't seen Ikiru or Rashamon I highly recommend them...

3. Collapse Details
    Ikiru devastated me emotionally. Yojimbo is my personal favourite Kurosawa, but every one of his movies I've seen so far has been a flat out masterpiece.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Ikiru was his most emotionally complex film I think. I would say that Rashomon is his most intellectually complex...

5. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Dear Lord... Kurosawa! What a gift to the world - his filmography... like Batutta says, masterpieces after masterpieces! Have you guys seen Stray Dog (1949)? A small movie compared to ones like Seven Samurai, but what a pleasure! The thing about Kurosawa movies, is that you can watch them over and over and over again - I can't even count how many times I've seen Rashomon, Yojimbo, Sanjuro... because there are so many aspects to it - the cinematography (there's a very interesting documentary about the DP who did Rashomon, and how he used huge mirrors to reflect the sun), but also the staging - just fabulous staging - framing, editing, often music and so on. There's so very much purely technically that's you can watch over and over again, and still get something out of it. Kurosawa is one of those directors who really make CINEMA - humanity is lucky to have had him.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    masterpieces after masterpieces!
    And if that's not enough, he also painted storyboards: "Akira Kurosawa’s spectacular hand-painted storyboards", Far Out magazine.

These videos are also fun, from the defunct channel Every Frame a Painting:

1. Akira Kurosawa - Composing Movement
    2. The Bad Sleep Well (1960) - The Geometry of a Scene