Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    JJ makes me mad. I think he's a brilliant producer in the sense that he understands what people think they want and how to put together an excitement-generating production. But his mystery boxes never think through the whole plot and always disappoint in the end.

PS did you see the South Park where they ask JJ to reboot the national anthem? "We know you've been asked to reboot a lot. We know you're tired."

https://southpark.cc.com/clips/2mtdj...-to-be-updated

2. Collapse Details
    Did anyone catch the pilot of ST: Lower Decks?

What did you think? Is it even still Trek? Is it just a lesser Futurama? I got some laughs, although they really seemed to HAMMER home the point of how unimportant these people are (we get it - show, don't tell)

3. Collapse Details
    Discovery was a disgrace.

I only got three episodes into Picard before the sheer boredom set in and I bailed on it. It was what appears to be a 3-hour plot puffed out to 10, a plot I had no interest in. I don't have the fascination with Data or his background that many seem to, so I didn't care.

I don't see anything appealing about Lower Decks.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Discovery was a disgrace.

I only got three episodes into Picard before the sheer boredom set in and I bailed on it. It was what appears to be a 3-hour plot puffed out to 10, a plot I had no interest in. I don't have the fascination with Data or his background that many seem to, so I didn't care.

I don't see anything appealing about Lower Decks.
    Discovery wasn't a disgrace - the first several episodes were gold. It only got disgraceful after that.

Picard picked up the pace towards the end of the season.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Did anyone else catch the new Star Trek: Picard series on CBS? I'm curious to hear reactions.
    Didn't see it. I like Patrick Stewart and think he is a great actor. Never really liked Star Trek Next Generation. I'm not a fan of techno babble. The show as a whole was too techie and Stewart too prim, proper and grandiose. Seemed like he should be on stage reciting Shakespeare instead of the Enterprise. I prefer my scifi like the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 08-14-2020 at 10:11 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Didn't see it. I like Patrick Stewart and think he is a great actor. Never really liked Star Trek Next Generation, the whole show was too techie and Stewart to prim and proper. I prefer the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. I'm not a fan of techno babble.
    yeah BSG has a much more grim, gritty and analog vibe

I recommend the first season of star trek discovery - it has some of that dark energy and less techno babble than TNG

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    yeah BSG has a much more grim, gritty and analog vibe

I recommend the first season of star trek discovery - it has some of that dark energy and less techno babble than TNG
    I'd admit BSG got a little too grim but still liked it. I also enjoy SG1. To me I like more character driven plots, not some complex techie thing to solve a problem. I have to do enough of that for my work don't need to see it in my leisure time. :-)

8. Collapse Details
    Did anyone watch the premiere of the new season of Discovery?

The VFX are goooorgeous (and apparently all done remotely at home by the team) and the cinematography is great. It feels a lot like Altered Carbon or other current sci-fi shows, though.

The scene/dialogue writing...ranges from passable to horrible. And the premise/allegory is definitely overwrought.

Whatever. I'll still watch it. Plus I'm a sucker for stories that revolve around system of government/good governance haha.

9. Collapse Details
    I like Next Gen and DS9 more than any of the other series. Discovery S1 was pretty solid, I thought. I dug the darker vibe and some eps had a more classic trek feel. S2, however, was very disappointing. When it wasn't things chasing or exploding it was tedious emo dialogue. Want to root for this show 'cause it's Trek and it's new, but there's just something severely lacking about it...plots, characters (for the most part) compared to older shows. Haven't seen Picard yet. Seems to be pretty polarizing.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    I like Next Gen and DS9 more than any of the other series. Discovery S1 was pretty solid, I thought. I dug the darker vibe and some eps had a more classic trek feel. S2, however, was very disappointing. When it wasn't things chasing or exploding it was tedious emo dialogue. Want to root for this show 'cause it's Trek and it's new, but there's just something severely lacking about it...plots, characters (for the most part) compared to older shows. Haven't seen Picard yet. Seems to be pretty polarizing.
    Yeah i thought the first half of s1 was amazing, then downhill. S2 crappy.

S3 is still pretty emo. Lots of weepy dialogue. (It doesnt feel like a show targeted at dudes.) But generally better plot.

Theres some nice wild west vibes in episode 2.

SPOILER ALERT vvvvv

The interesting thing for me about S3 is the sort or dark ages vibe - the idea of societal regression, which has happened numerous times throughout our history. That theme combined with the crew being amazed by new technology from a thousand years beyond their time make for some interesting dynamics.

END SPOILERS

Honestly, im most excited for the upcoming series Strange New Worlds because i think its going back to standalone episodic space adventures, which i feel like has so far worked better for Trek than season-long arcs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast