Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Star Trek: Picard & Discovery
    Did anyone else catch the new Star Trek: Picard series on CBS? I'm curious to hear reactions.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 05-26-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    I really enjoyed it. Main dude is great and I really enjoyed some of the secondary characters (even though they killed one that I felt particularly happy to see). Quite looking forwards to a second season.

It is not a traditional Star Trek vibe (no monster/mystery of the week) if that is what you want/expect. Also, does not particularly engage with matters set up in DS9, which I guess some may criticize, but I was not particularly bothered by that either. There was a bit of what I would consider fan service, but I enjoyed it (even though I am not a massive fan).

3. Collapse Details
    Patrick Stewart is such a good actor, outclassing basically everyone else on the show.

<SPOILERS>
    Who were you happy to see? Hugh?
    </SPOILERS>

Yeah it wasn't traditional trek I think mostly because there was an overarching plot to the whole season, which I found very satisfying. I rewatched the 2-part episode of TNG where Picard is assimilated by the Borg (best of both worlds) with my wife recently. It was very well written on some ways, not in others, but it was kind of shocking how quickly the whole thing was tied up and he was back at the helm of the Enterprise. But you have to get back to normal by the next episode!

I don't remember what happened at the end of DS9. I didn't mind the direction the plot took, though. Yeah, there was a lot of fan service...which I enjoyed although it sometimes weakened the writing
    Last edited by ahalpert; 05-26-2020 at 07:20 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    PS did you check out Discovery yet?

5. Collapse Details
    <SPOILERS> Yeah, I have a sweet spot for Hugh.</SPOILERS>

I have enjoyed Discovery but I find it more irregular and less satisfying. When Picard finished, I felt it had been worth watching the whole thing and the arch was satisfying. With Disco I do not have the same level of satisfaction. I feel like it is still trying to find what it wants to be.

6. Collapse Details
    I really, really loved Picard. I like Discovery too, a lot, but I grew up watching Next Generation with my Dad, who was a grizzled old Captain himself and would have loved Picard.
    Stuart Hooper

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aram View Post
    <SPOILERS> Yeah, I have a sweet spot for Hugh.</SPOILERS>

I have enjoyed Discovery but I find it more irregular and less satisfying. When Picard finished, I felt it had been worth watching the whole thing and the arch was satisfying. With Disco I do not have the same level of satisfaction. I feel like it is still trying to find what it wants to be.
    Yeah Discovery is very different, I'm only 3 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. It's much more gritty and realist than any other Trek I've seen, so I don't get that same utopian feeling which I love. It feels a bit more Battlestar Galactica. But that's ok. Variety is nice. (In the wikipedia article, they said that the writers - who were like an all-star assembly of past films and series - chose to sitch Roddenberry's longstanding rule that they should minimize conflict between the crew. The thinking is that this series is a bridge between now and the ideals of TOS.)

I showed up to CBS to watch Picard and now I've started on Discovery. It's almost like come for Picard and stay for Discovery because you already have the relationships with the TNG characters. (Though I know they produced Disco first.)

<SPOILERS>
    It was kind of crazy that they killed Picard and had all these emotional grieving scenes and then brought him back 10 minutes later. Gave me emotional whiplash. As for Data dying - it was a nice coda to his life - but why couldn't they have given him a fresh body??? If he wants to be human - hey - all humans want to live forever, right?

As for Discovery - I'm only 3 episodes in and I actually LOVE the writing in the first few episodes. It's so tight and clever and memorable. My god - do you remember the scene where Michael Burnham is trapped in the brig after the hull has been breached and the only thing keeping her alive is the force field? And she has to negotiate with the computer to release her by the ethical protocol by coming up with a survivable escape plan? I loved it. My wife says the writing gets worse later in the season, maybe that's what you mean by the arc being less satisfying. But so far it feels like movie-quality writing to me. </SPOILERS>
    Last edited by ahalpert; 05-26-2020 at 07:30 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellar42 View Post
    I really, really loved Picard. I like Discovery too, a lot, but I grew up watching Next Generation with my Dad, who was a grizzled old Captain himself and would have loved Picard.
    That's so awesome that you watched TNG with your dad. I can't wait for the next season of Picard. I'm getting really into Discovery as well but I'm only like 3 episodes in. It has a very different feel from other Trek series, but variety is the spice of life, right?

9. Collapse Details
    My god I just watched Discovery season 1 episode 3 (I'm going slow). The writing is so good, and they do a great job of making me want to BE Burnham, even though she's a woman. I never felt that way about Captain Janeway, I always had a more maternal relation to her. Burnham is so badass. And Lucius Malfoy is a fricking great actor.

[SPOILER] the scene where she's crawling through the Jeffries tube to escape the monster and starts quoting the passage about shrinking oneself from Alice in wonderland in order to calm her fear...genius [/SPOILER]

10. Collapse Details
    Wow I just finished Discovery season 2 - this show got SO bad. I can see why y'all were downplaying my excitement.

Man, the first 6 episodes of Season 1 were so good, some of the best Trek writing ever. Then the tone, characters, and narrative momentum lost their way suddenly.

Y'all agree?

I watched to the end because I was attached to the characters, but there was only like 1 scene in season 2 I found memorable.

[SPOILER] the scene where Pike sees his future and accepts it. That was dope [SPOILER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast