Thread: Covid camera!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Seems funny to me that you're concerned about ergonomics and leaning towards a standard video camera body - but you would still entertain the notion of an iPhone? I would think that the ergonomics alone would disqualify the iPhone.

But if you don't want to look like a pro, you can't do better than an iPhone. Why not use a DSLR/DSLM? You can shoot with camera-to-face like a stills photographer and not look pro, and the EVF lets you shoot in daylight. You said you don't need to do fancy camera moves, so the unrigged body probably won't impede you. You won't get a servo zoom (or a good one at least) but again, you said moving photos. With a flippy screen, you can shoot from the waist. You can put a mic on top when you need to.

I think all the current Canon and Sony bodies have very good AF. Sony even has eye AF (does Canon have that anyone?) Sony SOOC color seems to have improved lately. Don't know if either brand has good codecs in the lower-end and fixed-lens bodies though.

I think you may look pro with any dedicated video camera with a top handle and a servo zoom. But I don't know where you're shooting and what degree of discretion you require.
    Well I look pro because I stand with my legs in a positive solid pose and support the camera against my body somehow - unlike mums with palm cams and kiddies with BM pokets I dont wave the camera around in front of me.

iPhone was not my idea - but it has value for looking amateur and not being something you leave at home. My Mrs vixia sony phone does a really good 35mm equiv interview shot. The iPhone can do that with narrow DOF?

DSLR - I have GH4, nikon D600, BM micro, Sony NEX5n - again they never gelled as hendheld cams.. great for car mounting and 'fridge cam' for sure but for handheld, ive never enjoyed. I used to enjoy (in 2010) my 5d2 with 24-105, rvm, and an eye loup on the back - in fact one of the setups I really enjoyed.

5d2.. https://vimeo.com/15051688 one of my first videos. here it was all hheld with 24-105 and I also had a 400 2.8 on a tripod which I could put the camera onto the back of - a mild cheat!
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 05-24-2020 at 10:32 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Could it be that it is 25.5mm with IS off and 28mm with IS on?

3. Collapse Details
    I doubt it, but I'm not sure. (At least for the 'standard' IS.)

But maybe for the more intense ones although I don't know what the crop would work out to.

The G60 had three different kinds. Very effective.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Seems like the Canons are calling your name. You really don't have other choices with reliable AF and ND filters.
    Thats what I think, because the funtionality is basically EX1, but in a smaller package. I do like the EX1 for the zoom (compared to the FS7) I find myself using it more in these unscripted situations.

5. Collapse Details
    I looked it up...it crops in the 'dynamic' IS mode, but appears to be a regular 25.5 mm in the others.

Canon Note.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Isn't the Canon 400/405 in the $2-3k range? I thought the target budget was lower

7. Collapse Details
    Well the above mentioned 'g60' is $1400 or something - ultimately it doesnt matter $500 each way if its gonna last a few years, my ex1 has been good for a decade which is not many $ per year.

Its about having some docu fun - a camera that is a joy to have in a satchel - close at all times.

8. Collapse Details
    The XF400/405 60p models should get an update very soon if Canon is still planning on making those kind of cameras. They are going on about 3 years now.

The XA50/55 and G60 30p ones are from last summer.

9. Collapse Details
    The 400 is marked down $500 but doesn't look there are used copies available yet, so the price rests at $2500. ($2380 at abes of Maine, although probably still cheaper at b&h with the payboo card - https://www.abesofmaine.com/Canon_XF...RoCP-4QAvD_BwE). Looks like the right tool though.

Xa50 clocks in at $2k but you're limited to 4k30p. Same lens though

10. Collapse Details
    THe speed I need to 'draw' I guess Icould not find the slo mo button ? Unless it is right there so 60 (50 in pal) might not be that handy

Im in the UK so would not buy from USA.

I was really just canvassing a mode of camera.. iphone, gopro, handycam?

And use experience.

I see xf400 for 1500uk with v low hours or hf 60 for same, new.

Exact cost is not of interest

There is a a XC15 for less than a grand though (new!) should I be considering that? (the fat codec of the XC series has always interested me)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast