Thread: Covid camera!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Covid camera!
    Ive been going for my daily walk and also bumped into stuff like Banksys upgraded artwork (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...01584527747328)

Im thinking about finding a better camera to film some of this stuff. Ive been doing a few shots with my EX1.

Basically Im looking to replace my EX1 with something with similar capabilities to my EX1.. but 25% of the mass and size. I might want to shoot ultra low prfile or had the camera off to another party (maybe a care worke, nurse or who ever)

I would not expect to deliver in higher than HD but find compressed '4k' is a good route to HD. Ideally Id like some chunk in the codec to build a look in post.

I need ND, compose in the sun, half decent audio, the widest lens, the images to be in focus.

My list is open, varied and wide. Maybe $1500

-Canon XC15 - cheap and I like the posture looking down the chimney - worries.. old AF
    -Canon XA 50, 55 - wide lens, I guess DPAF is the best AF (max budget) - probably great
    -SOny z90, we like this kind of (having one in the office) personally I dont like the lack of wide lens and dont like the single ring layout at all. Also its overbudget

All of the above cams have ND

No ND..
    Nikon z50 and used 16-80 lens - worries - no ND - hard to hold without a rig.
    I like nikon and have loads of glass to make use of this camera for other work

Phone.
    Shooting on a phone makes me feel ill, but maybe the iphone11 or something should be thrown in the mix

Go pro
    Again they make me feel ill but maybe the latest is worth a consider - worries no telephoto option (maybe) or ND option.

I will downvote anyone who says P4k - well maybe I wont given a good argument.

I have an FS7 for other jobs.

Any thoughts?????

2. Collapse Details
    The Sony ZV-1 is supposed to have internal ND (electronic i imagine?) Supposedly it will be announced May 26. Something like a 24-70 equivalent fixed lens, dont know if that's enough range for you. We'll know more soon

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-...youtube-camera

3. Collapse Details
    Interesting. Kind of. All of this stuff makes me feel ill!

Yep 70 is OK for a long end. 100 would be better.

Reminds me I should get out my nex5 which I quite like with the 18-55 kit lens. At least with a zoom you only have to put on ND once.

4. Collapse Details
    If the XA50/55 are considered then the G60 should be too (for your purpose).

Pretty much the exact same camera for less money: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_g60_uhd.html (IS is nice)

Not many great small choices with ND...you'd have many more options without.

And that ZV-1 will have a 1" sensor (regarding the reach).

5. Collapse Details
    If the XA50/55 are considered then the G60 should too

Whats the catch? No Handle/XLR?

Also there is a canon 405 seems to be same price as XA55 ??

To me the appeal of the canons is I guess thier DPAF focus is the best?

--

Dunno what I think of no XLR, I have an old Rode and also have a SDevices recorder that could come out of the bag. I could even Lav a talent and leave the recorder on the side or on my belt.

6. Collapse Details
    No ND (and never needed it so far.) but very low profile and light. Panasonic G7. Wide range in lenses I mostly use 14-60mm
    microphone rodevideomic pro flimsy but does work ok.
    I use it for my youtube channel, 1.200.000 views, not one complaint about quality. Best camera I ever had!

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, the 50/55 have the XLR handle and XF-AVC (8-bit).

The G60 only has a 3.5mm mic input and 150mbps H.264 (no slouch and truly would never notice a difference).

Canon's DPAF works great (all three above have face-tracking), but Sony mirrorless cameras like the a6400 are just as good (and has a larger sensor).

Canon's 400/405 are older models with DPAF and 4K/60p. (A prime example of Canon's meticulous evil...omitting 60p on the newer ones for whatever reason.)

I had the G60 and used a Rode VideoMic Pro. Turned the gain down in the camera, +20dB in the mic, and only the best-of-the-best would hear a difference. Sounded excellent.

___

If I had to pick a small travel camera from the current choices then it would be a Pocket.

The way I see it (I guess my argument) is that if no one wants to provide us an ideal camera with a larger sensor, IBIS, great AF, and ND filters then I might as well not have any of them and just go for the absolute best quality possible (and for a very reasonable price).

Runner-up would be an a6400 (a6600 has IBIS but Sony's IBIS stinks). World class AF with a large sensor. A lot of E-mount glass.
    Last edited by NorBro; 05-24-2020 at 10:28 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Why do the Sony’s not float my boat? I even have the nex5n it’s the same with worse codec - I just never used it apart from car mount.

9. Collapse Details
    Same with BM I have a micro and worked on jobs with bm4k ursa and silver BM - all great on a set but horrid as walkabouts I think it’s the non flex screens and u can’t do gut cam

10. Collapse Details
    The NEX-5N would look extremely dated side-by-side when looking at the a6400's best 4K quality captured by someone who knows what they are doing, but besides that (and AF), not much difference. [BM's Micro with its 1080p sensor is dated too at this point.]

And the a6400 also has a terrible rolling shutter, no IBIS and no 4K/60p.

A dark horse for you may be the new full-frame Nikon D780. Started shipping two months ago or so.

Not many features but does have a full-frame sensor, great AF, electronic IS, and pretty Nikon colors. 10-bit LOG via output for future work if you can use it.

EDIT: Actually the D780 is more expensive than I remembered.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast