Thread: mic for C300?

1. Collapse Details
    mic for C300?
    A friend of mine just pick up a C300 and was wondering what kind of mic should he get for it? He was looking at the Sennheiser MKH 60 and was wondering what if USED would be okay?

I ask him what type of filming is he going to do and he said just some basic filming, local commercials, interview and short films.

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    I find on short bodied cameras like the C300 and mirroless or red, that a short shotgun tends to be a little long and flops around in the shock mount.

I prefer the MKH50 if handheld and 35mm focal length is the typical fov. The MKH50 seems to handle panning handheld more naturally than the average shotgun (save for the Schoeps CMIT5). It also seems to be less sensitive to camera operator noise. The rear lobe on the shotguns is longer than the mkh50 and the C300 handheld often puts the operator directly behind the mic’s rear lobe. Ymmv.

Mkh8060 might be an option for longer lens, if using 50mm or longer typically.

Really depends on what kind of lens and sound they want. I like a 35mm and a but more room sound, yet the MKH50 still has a ton of reach. The shorter mic allows getting closer to people without feeling like this long shotgun mic is going to poke them. Some people dislike seeing that approach them.

But if at a distance, i remember guys strapping an MKH816 along their ENG cams and using the longer end of the zoom in noisy environments.

Audio technica is the biggest bang for buck, and if budget is a concern, a used AT goes for cheap. On camera mics are never perfect, so one could save there and then put some extra money into a wireless pack or wind protection, good earphones, idk. Just a thought. The better microphones tend to have better off axis sound, so, even on camera they do sound better. But again, ymmv.

Hope that helps.

3. Collapse Details
    Is he looking for a mic to capture actual dialog or is he just looking for a "nat mic"?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I think actual dialog. I will have to ask him. I will cut and paste your guys info to him for his reply.

5. Collapse Details
    Are you talking camera mounted or boom pole mounted? If camera mounted, I am of the opinion that few situations or people should be using $1,500.00 + microphones as ambient mics mounted on a camera, IMHO, it's a huge waste of money.

If it's on a boom, the MKH 60 is a fine mic but we are kind of in the golden age of shotun/cardioid variant mics, so many great ones to choose from. Nothing wrong with the MKH 60 but nothing wrong with the MKH 8060, MKH-416,
    Sanken CS3e, DPA 4017/18, even the Røde NTG5 has impressed the hell out of me and it's cheap. If I was in the market for new mic today, I would be overwhelmed with how many GREAT mics are available.

If its for camera mounting, just buy the Audio Technica AT-875r and be done with it. It's actually designed as an on camera mic, is super cheap, sounds great, is impervious to handling noise. Done and done. Just stick a Rycote dead cat on it.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    THANKS - I will pass that info on.