Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I dont know if you have bought your lights yet but it is worth considering different deigns.

For example skypanels and thier sisters are heavy whereas an open face and 3.3 diff can be softer and lighter. (as where kinos heavhy too)

Vlocks on the bottom of the stand can stand in for a sand bag if clamped onto the stand not on the floor

Lite cloth things are of course the lightest

A big surface area will catch wind.

My next purchases will not by 2.2panels or suchlike but aptures or similar with power sorted at the bottom to be used with a 4.4 diff or bounced off a poly.

Ive even used my 1.1 panels on the floor pointing up towards poly.

2. Collapse Details
    I went for this stand a few weeks ago: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...eling_leg.html

Feels really solid with my 2x1 and 3' octa box. I'm only doing interviews so the 6.5' max height doesn't bother me at all. The price is nice too.

3. Collapse Details
    I use a Norms steel three riser for 1x2 lights, especially if you are going to affix a softbox or something big.
    I've been using the Lite Panels Gemini which is a pretty hefty light, but if you were using something smaller and lighter
    like the Luxli Taiko, you wouldn't need such a heavy stand.

I like Matthews and Norms gear but my favorite stand I own is an American Grip. Their stuff is, without a doubt, the best built
    grip gear on the market, the tie downs just function and feel so nice and the lack of flex and build quality is superb.
    Ask any pro grip what they like and at least in the U.S., the answer will be American Grip. Wheels are handy but when
    you start talking combo stands with wheels, you are getting into grip truck territory, they are too
    long, bulky and heavy to easily transport in a normal car and even a challenge in SUVs and Mini Vans.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ericsanpablo View Post
    I was looking at those, too. Are the legs square? I wonder if the Mathews casters will work on them.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I like Matthews and Norms gear but my favorite stand I own is an American Grip. Their stuff is, without a doubt, the best built
    grip gear on the market, the tie downs just function and feel so nice and the lack of flex and build quality is superb.
    Ask any pro grip what they like and at least in the U.S., the answer will be American Grip. Wheels are handy but when
    you start talking combo stands with wheels, you are getting into grip truck territory, they are too
    long, bulky and heavy to easily transport in a normal car and even a challenge in SUVs and Mini Vans.
    You guys are lucky to be so close to American Grip. Here it's only avenger, matthews and kupo.

I think the matthews RNR wheels look pretty good, I'd keep them off the stands for most things and only attach as needed.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    You guys are lucky to be so close to American Grip. Here it's only avenger, matthews and kupo.

I think the matthews RNR wheels look pretty good, I'd keep them off the stands for most things and only attach as needed.
    That's always an issue with buying new or used grip gear, it's freaking heavy and bulky and usually not worth shipping unless it's just a single stand or something.
    I've seen so many great deals on grip gear but it's located back east and would cost a fortune to ship or freight.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Wheels are handy but when

Yeah, they are, but I've got an old GMC 1500 AWD cargo van which I use for my equipment. So that's never been an issue really. I like the new Mathews style where the casters slide up on the inside of the legs so the legs can fold down. I know I want wheels since I'll have a big ass 5' octa box hanging off the panel. Picking the stand up and moving it into position every time I want to make a little adjustment can be annoying with that big of an attachment on it. It's so nice to be able to just roll it over a bit. Everytime I've shot with an ARRI S60 with a big ass chimera on it, I've wanted wheels. It's a little more gruntwork on the set up carrying the stand from the truck to the location, but I've found it makes shooting so much easier once we're up and going. I was thinking I'd just get a stand and then some removable casters and use them when I need them.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    Yeah, they are, but I've got an old GMC 1500 AWD cargo van which I use for my equipment. So that's never been an issue really. I like the new Mathews style where the casters slide up on the inside of the legs so the legs can fold down. I know I want wheels since I'll have a big ass 5' octa box hanging off the panel. Picking the stand up and moving it into position every time I want to make a little adjustment can be annoying with that big of an attachment on it. It's so nice to be able to just roll it over a bit. Everytime I've shot with an ARRI S60 with a big ass chimera on it, I've wanted wheels. It's a little more gruntwork on the set up carrying the stand from the truck to the location, but I've found it makes shooting so much easier once we're up and going. I was thinking I'd just get a stand and then some removable casters and use them when I need them.
    My friend has a pair of low boy combos for his Dana Dolly and they are really handy and make life easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12