Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Go ahead and buy the Shogun and find out rather than read what I’m trying to tell you. The Gemini and Sound Devices Pix also accept dual link input and don’t work with the F35. It’s not the dual link that is needed but programming to properly recognize the 12-bit dual link psf that Sony uses. Convergent Design did some work to make their recorder work for us. I highly doubt Atomos will do the same. You should buy it and find out for yourself, in the end you will have a nice 10-bit recorder.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    Go ahead and buy the Shogun and find out rather than read what I’m trying to tell you. The Gemini and Sound Devices Pix also accept dual link input and don’t work with the F35. It’s not the dual link that is needed but programming to properly recognize the 12-bit dual link psf that Sony uses. Convergent Design did some work to make their recorder work for us. I highly doubt Atomos will do the same. You should buy it and find out for yourself, in the end you will have a nice 10-bit recorder.
    Matt covered that in the article I linked to, as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    Go ahead and buy the Shogun and find out rather than read what Iím trying to tell you. The Gemini and Sound Devices Pix also accept dual link input and donít work with the F35. Itís not the dual link that is needed but programming to properly recognize the 12-bit dual link psf that Sony uses. Convergent Design did some work to make their recorder work for us. I highly doubt Atomos will do the same. You should buy it and find out for yourself, in the end you will have a nice 10-bit recorder.
    I'm sorry if I offended you, but I was just following up my post.

I clearly realized there are other issues right now, main being that ProRes RAW is for Bayer CMOS, not CCD. Which probably would be the main issue even if I could record the signal.

So I learned a lot in 24h, and I hope you can bare with me, or maybe point me in the right direction.

As for Atomos, you are probably right, especially since they can even give a true 444 recording either.

Personally, just want to make sure I have a budget for it all before I pull the trigger, rather than just buying half a kit for 6 grand.

C

4. Collapse Details
    What are the advantages to upscaling? Is it just to meet delivery criteria? It's not like you can add detail that wasn't there in the first place, so I don't really see the point.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    What are the advantages to upscaling? Is it just to meet delivery criteria? It's not like you can add detail that wasn't there in the first place, so I don't really see the point.
    That's what I would have thought. Although it seems that AI upscalers can paint in details based on understanding what the object is and how it would look in greater detail...

6. Collapse Details
    Just another level of control over your image. If you let someone's TV or device upscale your image automatically, you won't have a say in what scaling algorithm was used.

You could also potentially denoise and regrain the image for the higher resolution. Even if the actual image doesn't have any more fidelity, an increase in fidelity of grain can have a different experience.

But that's all post stuff. I can't really see the advantage of upscaling in real time during production outside of just convenience of not having to do it later.

7. Collapse Details
    Probably the only advantage of upscalling on the go is if you must hand off 4K at the end of the day after shooting. Besides that post will give you more control, which will mean better quality and will also save time, as you can upscale only what you will use.

But upscaled 4K F35 footage sounds interesting and has the potential to look great. I would say probably better or at least as good as Alexa upscaled footage since the F35 has more pixels.

8. Collapse Details
    I think the gigapixel ai *is* actually adding in detail that is not present in normal upscaling, but was present in the scene- probably a mix of temporal resolution with image/object training for the “ai”. Definitely try it for yourself, they have a free demo upload on the site.
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

9. Collapse Details
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

10. Collapse Details
    True. But 4k upscaled F35 so far looks a lot better than some true 4k cameras. And with the advantage of the CCD colours.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Just another level of control over your image. If you let someone's TV or device upscale your image automatically, you won't have a say in what scaling algorithm was used.

You could also potentially denoise and regrain the image for the higher resolution. Even if the actual image doesn't have any more fidelity, an increase in fidelity of grain can have a different experience.

But that's all post stuff. I can't really see the advantage of upscaling in real time during production outside of just convenience of not having to do it later.
    Probably not.

The thing is I would love to try it, and currently, it seems no one has tried it, so we do not know if it is a dud or not.

Hopefully this pandemic debacle ends soon and work picks up again, because if someone in the LA area would let me at least try to hook it up to their F35 / Odyssey 7q setup, we would know.

C

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast