Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. Collapse Details
    4k Upscaling, and ProResRaw
    #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    20
    Default
    Hi everyone,

    Tried searching for this but, couldn't find much on the subject.

    I am currently planning to invest in a F35 for personal projects mainly because of the shutter, the color, and just prefer Sony cameras. I have seen upscaling to 4k in post and it looks really great IMO. However I was wondering if there is a way to upscale in real time, using something like this https://cvp.com/product/blackmagic_bmd-convmsdimux4k And of course only applied to the ProRes 444 / 422 stream


    My second question is, if anyone of you have tried the F35 out with the most recent Shogun 7?

    I contacted Atomos to figure out if it could record ProRes RAW from the F35 (since it has dual SDI input). They answer was that if the camera can output RAW, they should be able to read, and record, it for sure.

    //C


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member Hunter Hampton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    2,883
    Default
    Sony would have to update the camera to output raw- unlikely to happen. (or someone would need to hack it andromeda style, likely not going to happen.)

    Regarding upscaling however, there have been some amazing developments recently. Resolve has built in smart scaling and denoising in its studio version that actually does a pretty decent job. The best upscaling though is probably AI/ machine learning based- this cloud based service produces some amazing results. Id feed it master file after edit/color until they can output master quality files but give it a look:

    https://videoai.topazlabs.com/
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    20
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Hampton View Post
    Sony would have to update the camera to output raw- unlikely to happen. (or someone would need to hack it andromeda style, likely not going to happen.)
    So the DPX files are not RAW, but uncompressed? Well technically I guess the ProRes Raw could still record it, since it is a capturing format? (I mean I can still record 444XQ from a 8-bit stream, I just won't get the data, right?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Hampton View Post
    Regarding upscaling however, there have been some amazing developments recently. Resolve has built in smart scaling and denoising in its studio version that actually does a pretty decent job. The best upscaling though is probably AI/ machine learning based- this cloud based service produces some amazing results. Id feed it master file after edit/color until they can output master quality files but give it a look:

    https://videoai.topazlabs.com/
    I agree, but in terms of actual shooting, I was wondering if it is possible. I would try avoid doing it in post, just getting a 4k file straight.

    //C


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    847
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Archduk3 View Post
    I agree, but in terms of actual shooting, I was wondering if it is possible. I would try avoid doing it in post, just getting a 4k file straight.//C
    Not 100% sure but I think the very recently released new Decimator 12G-CROSS can go from 3G SDI to 4K for real time upscaling. Maybe worth checking out.

    http://decimator.com/brochures/12G-CROSS_brochure.pdf

    Chris Young


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    706
    Default
    The PSF Sony uses over the dual single link has always been the trouble for recorders. Convergent Design 7Q is going to be the best proven option you can get to get the most out of the camera. Using multiplexer to combine the two signals into one works and opens up other recorder options and complexity. It would be best to get F35 and 7Q and learn the system, you are enthusiastic but still looking into options that have been gone over in length.

    How do you record the highest quality 12-bit and 50p out of the F35? With a 7Q. If you have another recorder you would like to use, 10-bit 422 is still incredible and really cheap to record. I personally do not think the multiplexer is worth the hassle of added cables, to each his own.

    Trying to record the F35 signal live 4k is certainly possible, but it's not how you want to start out learning this camera.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member Hunter Hampton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    2,883
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Archduk3 View Post
    So the DPX files are not RAW, but uncompressed? Well technically I guess the ProRes Raw could still record it, since it is a capturing format? (I mean I can still record 444XQ from a 8-bit stream, I just won't get the data, right?)



    I agree, but in terms of actual shooting, I was wondering if it is possible. I would try avoid doing it in post, just getting a 4k file straight.

    //C
    yeah straight to 4k would be nice esp raw, but 12-bit rgb to 8k upscale is pretty nuts. Ill prob do a test thread soon with it.
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    20
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    The PSF Sony uses over the dual single link has always been the trouble for recorders. Convergent Design 7Q is going to be the best proven option you can get to get the most out of the camera. Using multiplexer to combine the two signals into one works and opens up other recorder options and complexity. It would be best to get F35 and 7Q and learn the system, you are enthusiastic but still looking into options that have been gone over in length.

    How do you record the highest quality 12-bit and 50p out of the F35? With a 7Q. If you have another recorder you would like to use, 10-bit 422 is still incredible and really cheap to record. I personally do not think the multiplexer is worth the hassle of added cables, to each his own.

    Trying to record the F35 signal live 4k is certainly possible, but it's not how you want to start out learning this camera.
    True I need to learn a bit about F35 / F65. I have countless hours on F5 / 55 and a few shoots on the Venice, but I hear the F35 is a tricky.

    However, the new Shogun 7 has dual link in, and I have been trying to find out everywhere and it seems no one has tried it out. From what I noticed the FS7 needs the RAW module to output RAW, but Shogun can still record ProRes RAW from the “ordinary” SDI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Hampton View Post
    yeah straight to 4k would be nice esp raw, but 12-bit rgb to 8k upscale is pretty nuts. Ill prob do a test thread soon with it.
    Well I was just hoping for a 4k Image in ProRes 444 / 422, if you do this test, please let me know.

    C


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,530
    Default
    There is no advantage to converting uncompressed fully sampled RGB to Bayer raw other than reduction in file size. What would be the purpose? It won’t improve either IQ or grading flexibility since grading is done in RGB anyway.
    Scaling is a separate issue.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    20
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    There is no advantage to converting uncompressed fully sampled RGB to Bayer raw other than reduction in file size. What would be the purpose? It won’t improve either IQ or grading flexibility since grading is done in RGB anyway.
    Scaling is a separate issue.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I was mixing modern ideas with tech it can't work with.

    But the idea of upscaling is still possible, no?

    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    It would be best to get F35 and 7Q and learn the system, you are enthusiastic but still looking into options that have been gone over in length.
    Is there a thread bringing up basics that you could suggest (such as power solutions, how to max out the IQ and so on...)?

    C


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,477
    Default
    Matt at NewsShooter actually just posted an article on the F35(he has one). And while he is apparently doing it in post, he says the images do upscale to 4K very nicely.

    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/...l-use-in-2020/


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •