Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Red tested Cfast. They run much hotter at high constant data rates currently. DSLRS have much larger bodies.

2. Collapse Details
    Not much larger. The R5 will use CFexpress and looks to be on par with the 5D - a couple inches wider than Komodo but about the same height and an inch shallower. Maybe the width makes all the difference. Or maybe the R5 will not record high bitrates for extended periods of time.

3. Collapse Details
    My last two cameras, a 3ccd Canon camcorder and my current Bolex are both global shutter cameras. I much prefer the time coherent images from a global shutter. In its price range I would pick Komodo for that reason alone over other current offerings.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Sure that's fair, I was just talking about media choice which is not that important. Let's see how the Komodo performs

5. Collapse Details
    I’d imagine the larger cards would dissipate heat more evenly. Given the DSMC reputation, ANYTHING to reduce heat output would be nice.

I still use CF cards from the video dslr days for things. Some older gear is still worth using. I always preferred the size over SD and CFexpress for glove work. Like being in a cold environment with gloves on and dropping a hot CFexpress boi in the snow... unlikely to happen, but murphey’s law.

One of the things i prefered about flagship dslr’s over mid to entry level ones, was the size of the media. CF vs SD. After holding and operating a camera all day, my hands are not as deft as normal hands, and i dropped the SD card often enough to not like them.

Not upset about CFe though. With how small cameras are getting, the smaller size makes a lot of sense. And the pins in CF slots are possible to bend when forced. I had a AJA product that made it possible to insert the CF card either way and nearly bent some pins. And i have seen other’s cameras with bent pins.

But i get the feeling that i won’t enjoy CFexpress prices for an “outdated” media format. I briefly looked at prices and it appears to be more expensive than CFe. Is that right?
    Last edited by James0b57; 05-21-2020 at 10:00 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    RED has posted their dynamic range test for the Komodo with a comparison to Helium. There is short write up on it over on Reduser from Jarred and Phil Holland:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...56#post1899556

Picture courtesy of Phil:
    phfx_RED_KomodoHeliumXyla_JarredLoren.jpg

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks for posting - this is an interesting chart and the comparison to Helium looks really promising.

I'm still a bit skeptical as they state that this is not the official chart but a throwaway lens flare showing how smear is not present on the Komodo. Indeed, looking at the smear on the Helium spilling out to the left of the chart, it's clear that the Komodo is not doing the same thing.

But I wonder how closely we should read into the DR performance if it's a misfired test?

"Loren and I have been doing some deep deep deep diving the last few days and this chart between Komodo and Helium was a throw away as we had a bit of lens flare from a bad angle of the setup... but that mistake reveals a lot. We have talked about the dreaded sensor smear over the years and it’s a really hard one to solve... almost all CMOS cameras experience it. The super bright spilling over into adjacent columns of super black. This fugly chart really shows this anomaly off on the Helium, and shows how the new design of the Komodo all but eliminates it."

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, two things.

Yes to reducing overflow...I've found RED are pretty susceptible to it in the past (but all CMOS are)

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/20...n-blind-trick/

Awesome if they've licked it.

and RED have a bit of history with amazing DR charts...

check out the 20 stop dragon chart they posted....

https://www.cinema5d.com/red-dragon-...arlet-upgrade/

from

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ter-the-Dragon

JB
    Last edited by John Brawley; 05-28-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Agreed re: amazing DR charts.

That being said, if they use the same methodology to test Komodo and Helium, and we already know something about Helium's performance, then the chart is useful in relative terms if not in absolute.

I'm pretty excited if it compares to Helium as seen. And with a global shutter, no less!

Now all that's left is to hear the specs, lol. And see more footage

10. Collapse Details
    The charts are a bit visually deceiving, but pull them into Resolve and look at the waveform and you instantly get a clearer picture. 14 stops on Helium and 14 and a bit (maybe 0.3-0.5 stops) on Komodo. Which is great and plenty flexible.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast