Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    That's how I understood it (& good clarification)...that's why I also thought HELIUM's color shift was silly at only ISO 6400.

In today's day, that's low. Cameras should be spotless with perfect colors at 6400.
    Which ones not applying noise reduction are spotless at iso6400?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Just to clarify, the 12,800/6400 ISO "split" statement was meaning that the left portion of the frame where it's lighter was processed at 12,800 to show the CMOS smear. The rest of the frame (which is the Xyla chart) is processed at 6400 ISO.
    Thanks! Updated my post

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Or 2 Komodos if you don't need HFR - then you're REALLY lowering the cost of a 2-cam RED setup
    Yeah, and in a way, i personally don’t use hfr. But directors and producers love it, so, i have to have it.

Unrelated: I realized today that Komodo takes the cheaper Canon BP batteries and not the BP-A, as some sources had reported. Savings!
    That is interesting. Was actually liking the idea of 12v BPA’s. Since most “cine” accessories have a 12v input option or requirement. However, like you say, that looks like a much cheaper up front cost for a basic system. That should be a popular decision. I hope that means it is a power sipper and not something that requires swapping batts every 30mins. The DSMC2 camera seem safe from direct competition with the Komodo each new detail.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Which ones not applying noise reduction are spotless at iso6400?
    Yeah the Alexa has a much cleaner ISO 6400...oh wait, it doesn't go that high

Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I hope that means it is a power sipper and not something that requires swapping batts every 30mins. The DSMC2 camera seem safe from direct competition with the Komodo each new detail.
    I remember Jarred Land saying somewhere that 2 batteries (955s maybe?) would combined run it for 3 hours. (And it has a dual battery slot that's hot swappable)

No lie - I'm getting very excited for Komodo. I dont know if it would be a money maker for me but it would most likely improve my IQ for a very reasonable price

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah the Alexa has a much cleaner ISO 6400...oh wait, it doesn't go that high

I remember Jarred Land saying somewhere that 2 batteries (955s maybe?) would combined run it for 3 hours. (And it has a dual battery slot that's hot swappable)

No lie - I'm getting very excited for Komodo. I dont know if it would be a money maker for me but it would most likely improve my IQ for a very reasonable price
    Luckily you are in NY, so you should be able to get hands on one of those before buying, which is always nice. Especially with Reds. But yeah, i am excited at the possibility of having a camera i can tote around everywhere that matches the other Reds. I dislike learning new camera systems these days.

6. Collapse Details
    Never owned a RED, never used a RED and never really wanted to buy a RED. Until I started following the Komodo development last year. It may be my next real cam purchase.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Never owned a RED, never used a RED and never really wanted to buy a RED. Until I started following the Komodo development last year. It may be my next real cam purchase.
    Back in RED early days I had per-ordered serial number 411, but chose not to follow through because it was a work in progress, the RED culture bothered me, I knew the accessories would kill me (since I don't shoot weekly or rent out) and I didn't want to spend 17K for a sloppy CMOS when I could spend 6 grand for a Sony EX1 with the same amount of CMOS sensor slop. You can still find my evolving thoughts and concerns during those early days on Red User and sort of see the exact moment I chose to jump ship after doing some tests with a friend's early RED.

I was/am doing things where a global shutter in a box shaped, small inexpensive camera with good dynamic range would help a bunch. Now there's a 6 grand RED (the same cost as that EX1 I loved for five years!) with a global shutter and suddenly I'm interested for the first time since 2007 or so. Between the non RED memory and those common Canon batteries I'm really getting excited. I don't want to be excited, but I am. Looking forward to samples and user reports...
    Jim Arthurs

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Red's sensors make lovely pictures. If the price is right, and the feature-set works for you. Go for it.

9. Collapse Details
    That is great for 7.2v BP batteries.

10. Collapse Details
    With the new mini v-mount that are readily available, I wish manufacturers would stop dicking around with the small-fry consumer-style batteries for these things, and just put a proper v-mount on them. All the LED lights, and monitors on set run off them - just stick to the known standard.

Small batteries are just painful. You need a bunch of them, you need additional chargers. It just makes things messier than they need to be.

At least make the rear battery plate swappable. So you give people a choice.

Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast