Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62
  1. Collapse Details
    #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    1,193
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Thanks for the quick review. I too can in no way justify the cost, size, and weight of these for the frequency and need in terms of splashes of color.

    I'm really looking forward to the RGB trend to recalibrate so that other priorities can take the lead when creating new fixtures. I'd like lots of power, bicolor, WITH very fine green/magenta control for matching to the ambient (not just other lights, but also how light is bouncing around the colored surfaces). No one seems to be working on that particular combo of attributes in a fixture.
    I'm with you on this. Most of my work doesn't call for lots of RGB capabilities in LEDs. In fact, one of my go to fixtures for a quick key light, is the original Fiilex Matrix with a 3 x 4 soft box. It has green / magenta dial and works nicely matching what the background ambient LEDs (or still occasionally flourescents) are doing. They of course quickly replaced that unit with one with full color - so wish now I'd have bought two.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #52
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,232
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Thanks for the quick review. I too can in no way justify the cost, size, and weight of these for the frequency and need in terms of splashes of color.

    I'm really looking forward to the RGB trend to recalibrate so that other priorities can take the lead when creating new fixtures. I'd like lots of power, bicolor, WITH very fine green/magenta control for matching to the ambient (not just other lights, but also how light is bouncing around the colored surfaces). No one seems to be working on that particular combo of attributes in a fixture.
    I FINALLY used the +/- green on my Gemini's a few weeks ago. We were shooting some stand-ups outside at night and there were architectural LED's prominently in the shot and of course, they had a green push. So I balanced to their light and then dialed the Gemini's in by eye to the cameras color VF.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #53
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I FINALLY used the +/- green on my Gemini's a few weeks ago. We were shooting some stand-ups outside at night and there were architectural LED's prominently in the shot and of course, they had a green push. So I balanced to their light and then dialed the Gemini's in by eye to the cameras color VF.
    Right! How about situations where the wall behind talent is an atrocious beige/green color and also a bit too similar to skin tones? Have you ever adjusted color on a fixture to shift the background color to create a more desirable color contrast between subject and background? Obviously, we've all done this through CCT temp and also by using qualifiers in post, but I'm interested in doing this in camera and not just on the kelvin spectrum, but also tint. You can really muck things up if not handled well, but that level of control is what I really want out of lights: detailed manipulation of white light. Not a super saturated fuchsia. Lol.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,710
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I also hate how hard cases take up two to three times as much space as a soft case does and waste so much space by filling that space with foam. I bought a Dana Dolly not too long ago with the hard case in the kit and immediately regretted it upon seeing the size of the hard case which barely fit in the shelving setup in my van. So, I returned it and bought the Dana Dolly on its own and am now looking for a soft case for it. I've found a couple good options so far from light-panel bags which have interior dimensions that look perfectly suited for the Dana Dolly's size, and are actually probably around a third the size of the Dana dolly hard case. It's always nice when a piece of equipment is small enough that you don't have to debate whether or not to pack it as you can just leave it in your vehicle all the time.
    It depends on the cases. A while ago I crunched some numbers to find the ratios of interior/exterior volume of storm/semi rigid padded products (e.g. porta brace, cinebags etc.).

    I found the storm cases provide more interior space compared to the exterior size. This is mostly because the hard cases have thinner walls.

    Softer cases probably feel like they're smaller because they can get jammed in tighter spaces, which means they actually can become smaller.

    I'm the same as you though and prefer soft padded options. I've got a cinebags stryker with shoulder strap which is sort of like you're carrying nothing vs. storms etc you lose a hand to carry one.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #55
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,232
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Right! How about situations where the wall behind talent is an atrocious beige/green color and also a bit too similar to skin tones? Have you ever adjusted color on a fixture to shift the background color to create a more desirable color contrast between subject and background? Obviously, we've all done this through CCT temp and also by using qualifiers in post, but I'm interested in doing this in camera and not just on the kelvin spectrum, but also tint. You can really muck things up if not handled well, but that level of control is what I really want out of lights: detailed manipulation of white light. Not a super saturated fuchsia. Lol.
    I haven't done exactly what I think you're asking, but of course I've adjusted CCT warmer/cooler on slashes/pops and the like to give some separation and contrast. In certain situations, I have also used appropriate color pops/slashes. I think for the most part, we're only limited by our imaginations(and maybe client acceptance/want) with the current crop of "RBGW"* lights that we have now(outside of absolute best skin tones).

    *generically referring to all the different variations of single fixtures capable of producing both white/CCT light and colored light.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,710
    Default
    600d with f10 starting to look pretty convincing. The entire set up looks like a pretty manageable size.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #58
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,232
    Default
    Matt posted his review and testing* of them on NewsShooter, as well. I received an email from B&H this morning saying the F10 and barn doors are "still on backorder", but hopefully they will start shipping to customers soon, since the reviewers and YouTubers are receiving copies.

    Guess I'm gonna have to get a bigger case to fit it all in. And get some black spray paint to cover up the unnecessary and overly obvious branding on the barn-doors.



    *What's up with everyone testing/quoting photometrics at 1m? Matt is ridiculously thorough and deep and one of the best at this, but who is using a fixture like this at ~three feet?
    Last edited by Run&Gun; 02-16-2021 at 07:01 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,710
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Matt posted his review and testing* of them on NewsShooter, as well. I received an email from B&H this morning saying the F10 and barn doors are "still on backorder", but hopefully they will start shipping to customers soon, since the reviewers and YouTubers are receiving copies.

    Guess I'm gonna have to get a bigger case to fit it all in. And get some black spray paint to cover up the unnecessary and overly obvious branding on the barn-doors.



    *What's up with everyone testing/quoting photometrics at 1m? Matt is ridiculously thorough and deep and one of the best at this, but who is using a fixture like this at ~three feet?
    Yeah I don't get why reviewers bend the knee to the manufacturer's "loophole" marketing - the people should have the power!

    It'd also be good to start learning about which COBs are being used like how we all know about Apple's latest M1 chips. Then after a while you'd be in the system and know that chip x is better than chip y and could plan potential upgrades like an adult. A welcome step away from the wild west and more into the future.

    Let us know what case you use. Do you trust the bowens mount for an f10 to live on the light? I'll have to test but maybe keeping them separate is the way to go but it'd be good to just pull out of a crate and that's it.

    Yeah I'm not a fan of the A, mostly because they've ruined the opportunity for your own stencil etc.

    Hopefully the f10 remains stiff enough over time, it would be a shame if after a while it can't hold its position because of gravity but I guess you'd just buy a new (discontinued) one.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #60
    Senior Member Grug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,197
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    600d with f10 starting to look pretty convincing. The entire set up looks like a pretty manageable size.
    It does look great. You can get two Forza 500s for just a little more than a single 600D at the moment though. I think I'd probably be willing to tolerate the Forza's comparative compromises at that price point.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •