Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Of course, the screen would be impossibly expensive. And it would be in danger of getting busted by tires constantly.
    If you think Boaty McBoatFace was something, just wait until you get every hacker in the world trying to get "inappropriate images" on that screen...

2. Collapse Details
    I am surprised they are not letting in some fans to the races. It is an outside event and a large venue. Do a lottery and let 15,000 people in and space them out a bit. Same for any other sport outside.

3. Collapse Details
    SoFla quarantine laws are on the restrictive side.

4. Collapse Details
    I don't think it will matter all that much for Nascar. It's not a sport where the participants feed on the energy of the crowd during the event (I doubt they can even hear them), and it's probably a better, more comprehensive experience on television for the most part.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    Since when are fans such an important part of a televised sport? I haven't followed sports since I was a kid and followed football and baseball, but what I recall was there'd be occasional cutaways to fans but 95%+ of the focus was on the game. And I could hardly say that as a sports fan that those 5% of fan cutaways is what kept me interested.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    SoFla quarantine laws are on the restrictive side.
    Don't forget that things are opening up another level Monday, the Dolphins are trying hard to get the OK for live crowds, and most importantly, that Publix will be open til 9 (and your wrong way walkers will probably come out at night)...

Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    it's probably a better, more comprehensive experience on television for the most part.
    Aren't most, if not all, sports experiences of the actual competition "better"- in terms of seeing what's going on, what you may have missed and getting the micro/macro level- on TV, with a dozen-plus cameras, slo-mo, reaction shots, etc?

The "fan experience" is probably as much about the psychology of being with 50-80,000 others- all united, or mixed rivalries- and drunk, as much as the event.

Can you think of a sport where the sport is absolutely better in person than on your big screen at home?

Don't say chess, DLD...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Since when are fans such an important part of a televised sport? I haven't followed sports since I was a kid and followed football and baseball, but what I recall was there'd be occasional cutaways to fans but 95%+ of the focus was on the game. And I could hardly say that as a sports fan that those 5% of fan cutaways is what kept me interested.
    Try watching any sport played in an empty stadium, and then compare that to the same being played in front of 70,000 fans. If it makes no difference to you, then -- there is no difference.

It's basically the same as a comedy TV show being filmed in front of a live audience, vs. one with no audience and not even a laugh track.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    ... Don't say chess, DLD...
    Back in 1972, my dad often played along to the Fischer-Spassky match ... albeit a day later, in the papers. But, they did have a live audience.

Bobby-Fischer-and-Boris-Spassky.jpg

Though, I don't think you were allowed do the wave.

PS. I went to Publix today. Bought some food, including baked chicken. Left chicken there. It may have coughed.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    It makes it seem like an even more important event.

Kind of think of it like the way most modern restaurants are built, with tiny parking lots. So even when they're not that busy they LOOK busy. They're playing the psychology game. People see the parking lot packed all the time and "busy" all the time, so they'll think that the restaurant it THAT good and want to eat there. So, when you're looking at an event with packed stands, you "know" that you're watching something exciting and important and you want to be part of it, either in-person or watching on TV.
    Last edited by Run&Gun; 05-15-2020 at 07:13 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    I am surprised they are not letting in some fans to the races. It is an outside event and a large venue. Do a lottery and let 15,000 people in and space them out a bit. Same for any other sport outside.
    I'll be there this Sunday in Darlington. National media and we aren't allowed in. NASCAR, teams and broadcast only. And broadcast is cut way back. There will only be a handful of people/outlets allowed in the press box. All media availability this week has been via video conference calls. Post race will be similar via remote cam/call-in.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast