Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Most games today have to be downloaded/copied to and played from the internal memory of the console, because the data transfer rates aren't fast enough to play off of anything else, currently.

I still buy games on physical discs, if available, just in-case.

2. Collapse Details
    Top video games approach 200 GB in size. A 4K Blu Ray film is about 25 GB. A "home made" CGI film can probably be 5-10, given the lower res and duration of the narrative.

The newest video games are getting pretty close to photo-realism, which is no small feat on home PC's, even with "gaming" level hardware installed.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Top video games approach 200 GB in size. A 4K Blu Ray film is about 25 GB. A "home made" CGI film can probably be 5-10, given the lower res and duration of the narrative.

The newest video games are getting pretty close to photo-realism, which is no small feat on home PC's, even with "gaming" level hardware installed.
    Which kind of amazes me that the hard drives in consoles have not gotten a lot bigger. Back in the day, you had a stack of games, be it cartridges or discs, and when you wanted to play one you popped it in and played. I remember, I had probably 40-50 games for my NES. Now, games have to be copied to a drive to be played. You can easily fill up a consoles internal drive with only a handful of games and if you're out of space and want to play something new or not already loaded, you have to delete something. Definitely couldn't fit 50 games on my XBOX today...

The new XBOX has add-on SSD/flash memory cards that will just plug-in and I'm guessing you could store games on them and just swap them in and out, but I'm wondering how expensive they'll be. I remember how much they used to jack-up the cost of Seagate externa "expansion" drives that were branded for XBOX. And those were just regular spinning drives. These are solid state and supposedly every bit as fast as the fast internal memory. I'm guessing $$$.

4. Collapse Details
    I've never been into video games - except Jezzball and pinball - but I recall looking at a PC video game magazine in the late 90's that advertised a WWII aircraft shooter, that was lauded for requiring 4 MB of RAM.

I also remember a friend/Luftwaffe fanatic off old WWII forums, who told me that, once you figure out the particular game schemes, you can really run up the score. He said he got over thirty B-17's in a FW-190 F8, which is much higher than even an actual ace could produce in the same plane.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I've never been into video games - except Jezzball and pinball -....
    Achhhh. You've never player Ghost Recon 2 on sniper mode with me then. I was #1 for 2 weeks. lol. Nor a full Talladega race, fuel pits and the whole deal, "with" mics and head sets on the whole time. It does suck to watch but I guarantee you, once in the drivers seat, that will change. Your missing out on some great childhood fun DLD. C'mon man, we're big kids now. (Over 21 anyways....braces self for the fallout). Havin' beers and as Pammy used to say "oh no...you get so stupid". Granted. -insert a Donald Trump sigh here.//Oh yeah, it's only morning. (I'm still going from last night. Night time in S.Korea now.) All in fun. -Later.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 06-05-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

6. Collapse Details
    I think, if I were to try something, it'd be WWII aircraft based.

Of course, my own hometown is now world famous for its "World of Tanks" franchise. I visit their forums occasionally and the the developers really know their WWII gear. They even try to develop weapons that didn't really exist but were on the various planning boards. Now, they also have "World of Warplanes" and "World of Warships". That's how you become a billionaire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123