Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    LiteMat4 VS Aperture 120d: advice needed
    Hello group:

So I currently own a LITEMAT 4 s2 and I am very happy with the light. My only gripe with it is that its not as powerful as I would like. *I hear the new version is 40 percent brighter then the one I own, however it is also double the price. *A DP friend recommended to me the*Aputure Light Storm LED COB 120D. *In doing research I was impressed with the videos I saw of it. My only issue with it is that is 6000k daylight and I prefer to light 3200k. * So I have a few questions I hope some of you might provide me answers.

1) Can you gel the APUTURE 120D to get it to tungsten light easily? *

2) Can you mix the two lights in a filming? The litermat *and the aputure even though they have different CRI?

3) Should I just get another used LITEMAT 4?*

Any advice would be appreciated

O

2. Collapse Details
    If you like 3200 why not get arri 650 fresnel or 800 redheads for little money?

3. Collapse Details
    Aputure's 120D/300D are fantastic lights. Incredibly versatile with modifiers, and generally much easier to work with than panel lights (as you can control them much more easily). But only their new 300X offers bi-colour/tungsten capabilities.

If you want to light with tungsten, AVOID daylight balanced lights.

I'm with Sam's suggestion above. Grab some tungsten fresnels for cheap.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I have daylight only lupos and they convert from daylight to Tungsten via physical filters really badly.

If you look at the colour vs intensity graphs (see newsshooter) you will see most LED are very weak in the lower red spectrum. Once you have filtered out the blue with an orange gel you are left with virtuall nothing.

UvbV1.jpg
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 05-14-2020 at 01:45 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Trying to correct discontinuous spectrum lights with gels is fraught with danger.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    At least in LA, people are having a hard time even almost giving away tungsten lights. I'm not sure why anyone would only want to shoot Tungsten these days but in looking at some of my beauty and starlet EPKs that I lit
    solely with Tungsten a few years ago, they really do make skin tones look better than any LEDs can. I still have my Arri kit although it's collecting dust. My open face 1K sort of fell apart after 20 years of use, the screw hole
    that attaches the body to the yolk kind of self destructed. I could probably find a replacement for $50.00 if I wanted another.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    At least in LA, people are having a hard time even almost giving away tungsten lights. I'm not sure why anyone would only want to shoot Tungsten these days but in looking at some of my beauty and starlet EPKs that I lit
    solely with Tungsten a few years ago, they really do make skin tones look better than any LEDs can. I still have my Arri kit although it's collecting dust. My open face 1K sort of fell apart after 20 years of use, the screw hole
    that attaches the body to the yolk kind of self destructed. I could probably find a replacement for $50.00 if I wanted another.
    $40 gets you similar brightness as 120D but with 100% color accuracy which 120D does not give.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-El...0401/300374664

I've still got three of these from my first lighting kit. Was really stretching the budget at the time to get them. That's like, six hours of work at the sandwich shop to pay for them.

8. Collapse Details
    You'd have to be crazy to sell tungsten lights so cheaply.

Here they get used constantly on low budget music videos, short films then funnily enough by ultra high end DPs who have used tungsten for 30+ years and are familiar with the tools.

It definitely helps being in countries where you can have more lights on a circuit.

I still want to pick up some Arri T1/T2s..
    Last edited by rob norton; 05-14-2020 at 06:04 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    $40 gets you similar brightness as 120D but with 100% color accuracy which 120D does not give.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-El...0401/300374664

I've still got three of these from my first lighting kit. Was really stretching the budget at the time to get them. That's like, six hours of work at the sandwich shop to pay for them.
    I've still got my halogen work light as well. I liked using halogen in the winter here in the midwest, but not so much in the summer. They were a good investment though, as now I'm finally using them for their intended purpose, to illuminate remodeling projects.

10. Collapse Details
    I still use tungsten all the time. If the heat and power aren't an issue - why would you give up the control and colour quality?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast