1. Collapse Details
    An ad agency wants to license a clip from my film
    Hi! Back in 2007-2008 I made a short film which is now on Youtube. Now, in 2020, an ad agency in New York is asking me to sell them a license of a 20-30s clip from my film to use in a worldwide advertising campaign for a mid-sized multinational financial company. (during a year with possible extension one more year, globally in all media except broadcast)
    I have no idea how much to charge though. How much would you say would be a fair price? We are talking SD resolution! Two actors appear.

2. Collapse Details
    do you have written authorization releases from the two actors?

if not, i would get that before thinking about selling footage that someone appears in that you don't have a release from.

i'm just saying.

oh, congrats!

the footage must be great.

good for you.

stay well.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
    do you have written authorization releases from the two actors?

if not, i would get that before thinking about selling footage that someone appears in that you don't have a release from.
    I'm working on getting them. Thanks.

4. Collapse Details
    Actor wise - on UK TV for an actor who people instantly know their name, £500 is a typical fee to appear on morning TV show. The rights release includes the words "any territory, in perpetuity" - so not perhaps as much money as people think. I've done a few of these for actors in my control, as in they're under contract to me, but TV want them - and one managed to get 750 - but it was a close go/no go thing. £500 seems a figure they production companies its can live with.

5. Collapse Details
    Back in 2015 Samsung bought three seconds of my Duct Tape Surfing film to use in their larger TVC for USD $1500 per second plus USD $1000 per talent. Each year they renew for about the same, not sure why it changes throughout the years but it’s in the same ballpark. Worldwide license, unlimited uses - online/broadcast/pos/etc.

In 2014 through an agency the same content sold to a US based health care company for USD $36,000 which we split, they only used my footage to create their TVC so the agency settled on a one year buyout fee, which was a nice payday for doing nothing.

If they’re asking for 30 seconds of your film that’s similar to a buyout fee, but would be worth asking exactly what scenes/elements they’re looking at and seeing how many seconds that equates to and see if a buyout or per second rate is where you sit.