Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I hope you're watching TLD...amazing nostalgia with camera technology (pretty drastic jumps in resolution over those early modern years), and in general a great look at pop culture in the late 80s/90s...
    The US was a bit ahead of the rest of the world. First replay in 1963, regular color broadcasts in the mid-1960's, though the transition to HD was taking place earlier in Asia. The Soviet Union went to full color broadcasting only in 1977 (but the Soviet/French system was better than American - SECAM vs. NTSC).

Insofar as the main sporting events - WC 1962 from Chile was mostly on the radio, although many matches were filmed and subsequently transferred to tape and other storage media. The 1966 WC from England was televised in B&W but, once again, some matches were filmed. The 1970 WC from Mexico was live and in color and showed an occasional replay (all goals were replayed, many from a second camera angle). The quality (resolution/color) was up at the 1974 WC in West Germany but the replays were, once again, limited to goals from the second/goal cam. The quality improvements for 1978 WC in Argentina were marginal but there were more replays (of fouls, goal scoring chances, etc.). From what I recall, the studio video cameras were much higher res from 1978-1980 on and there were also more replays in 1982-1986-1990-1994-1998 but the picture quality stabilized post 1982 until 2002, when the Koreans and the Japanese broadcast some matches locally in HD and stored them likewise. The US was still in 4:3 SD. 2006 WC Germany was in HD on the ABC OTA broadcast but SD on most cable stations. Univision was still in SD. 2010-2014-2018 were all in HD, in the OTA and cable. Some of WC 2014 from Brazil was supposed to be recorded in 4K on F55 but I have never seen the footage.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Did you think you’d still see him walking the halls doing interviews? (Though TW now) I recall a reporter and i waiting for him to arrive. She was on her phone, so I saw him first. He looked at me, and nodded. The reporter shot up and ran over to him with a hug. Turned out we were interviewing him later. But that was the first time I saw him in person.
    So, I, and a lot of others that I work with, are of the age that we grew up watching him during most of our youth when MJ was(still is to us) THE MAN.

A few years ago we were there to cover the first game that the Hornet's were the Hornet's again(from the Bobcat's), for a well known network known for their sports coverage... ; ) My reporter is my age and we have known each other and been friends since the late 90's and been working directly with each other together for this network pretty much weekly since he came over there in 2007. We were standing in the tunnel/hall outside of the Hornet's locker room after the game waiting to go in and do post game. While standing there, we were joking around about how people would holler out to my reporter at this other sports in an almost universal, and funny to us, way(he's from the south, I'm from the south and the sport is very southern...). It seems like it couldn't have been more than 30 seconds after that, Jordan comes walking down the hall past the pack of all of us cameras, reporters and media and he looks at my reporter and almost word for word hollers at him with his name/greeting that these certain fans do. I thought my buddy/reporter was going to pass out. With all that we do, it was funny and unbelievably cool.

We are around and interview a lot of well known people, celebrities and athletes in this business, but being from our generation, it's still Michael F U C K I N G Jordan.

3. Collapse Details
    I used to subscribe to the SI at the time and had their McDonald's All American issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_M...ican_Boys_Game

The thing about Jordan that I recall was him being able to touch the top of the board off a jump. But bigger stars were Pat Ewing, Greg Dreiling, Stuart Gray and Walter Downing. Downing committed to De Paul, after flirting with Marquette. Then, he had a knee injury, that kept him from challenging Terry Cummings, so he decided to finally transfer to Marquette to hang out with his buddy Glenn Rivers. Downing didn't have much of a college career.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I used to subscribe to the SI at the time and had their McDonald's All American issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_M...ican_Boys_Game

The thing about Jordan that I recall was him being able to touch the top of the board off a jump. But bigger stars were Pat Ewing, Greg Dreiling, Stuart Gray and Walter Downing. Downing committed to De Paul, after flirting with Marquette. Then, he had a knee injury, that kept him from challenging Terry Cummings, so he decided to finally transfer to Marquette to hang out with his buddy Glenn Rivers. Downing didn't have much of a college career.
    You cannot mention stars of that era without mentioning the biggest one, figuratively and literally, Ralph Sampson.
    Last edited by Movies by Matt; 05-05-2020 at 10:22 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Movies by Matt View Post
    You cannot mention stars of that era without mentioning the biggest one, figuratively and literally, Ralph Sampson.
    Sampson was a McD All American two years earlier and joined Virginia Cavaliers of the ACC in 1979 and, after four years there, picked first in the 1983 NBA draft by the Houston Rockets. Jordan was an All-American in 1981 and went 3rd in the 1984th draft as a junior. Two other 1981 McDonald's All Americans came out as juniors in 1984 - Eric Turner and Stuart Gray, both picked in the 2nd round. Gray's spent seven backup years in the NBA, Turner's never made it.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Sampson was a McD All American two years earlier and joined Virginia Cavaliers of the ACC in 1979 and, after four years there, picked first in the 1983 NBA draft by the Houston Rockets. Jordan was an All-American in 1981 and went 3rd in the 1984th draft as a junior. Two other 1981 McDonald's All Americans came out as juniors in 1984 - Eric Turner and Stuart Gray, both picked in the 2nd round. Gray's spent seven backup years in the NBA, Turner's never made it.
    Thank you DLD. Carry on.

Last note on this, with your recent posts about soviet history, I would be negligent to not mention Arvydas Sabonis as well. Ok. That's it. As you were.
    Last edited by Movies by Matt; 05-06-2020 at 09:50 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Samsonite! I knew it started with an S.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    We are around and interview a lot of well known people, celebrities and athletes in this business, but being from our generation, it's still Michael F U C K I N G Jordan.
    hell yeah!

9. Collapse Details
    Thank you DLD. Carry on.

Last note on this, with your recent posts about soviet history, I would be negligent to not mention Arvydas Sabonis as well. Ok. That's it. As you were.
    Since we've drifted into basketball. Sabonis came up in the Žalgiris system, where he made his debut at 17. As a Lithuanian, the club had no love lost for their main rivals, CSKA Moscow (aka the Central Club of Red Army). CSKA players were drafted into the club. Literally. If their coach wanted a player, he'd be hard pressed to stay somewhere else. On a positive side, CSKA members got paid very well - double dipping as army officers and then as a shamateur. The Lithuanians, due to the national/ethnic considerations, were not as heavily recruited and the majority of prospects hated CSKA, winners of 16 out of 17 Soviet titles under Brezhnev, anyway. Sabonis's personal rival was 7'3" 260 lb Vladimir Tkachenko, originally from Kiev but from 1983 a CSKA star center and a 1979 European Player of the Year. Their club battles aside, they did play on the Soviet national teams together and ... let's just say, Tkachenko's body could apparently absorb a lot more alcohol.

sab1.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Hey Chuck- I was wondering if we could talk about your experience with Joe Dono? I would PM you but the permission here are hard to come by. It took me months just to get permission to post.

Thanks,
    Matt

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast