Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    My guess is that they will be more often than before, but perhaps then every 50 years and not 100.
    SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV) – virus identified in 2003 https://www.who.int/ith/diseases/sars/en/

MERS occurred in Jordan in April 2012 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/mers/about/index.html

prior pandemics https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...pandemics.html

2009 H1N1 Pandemic (H1N1pdm09 virus)

1968 Pandemic (H3N2 virus)

1957-1958 Pandemic (H2N2 virus)

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Bills/Jets today...the broadcast is providing an absolute master class in pumping crowd noise into a game with an empty stadium
    Agreed. Dolphins/Pats on CBS at 1pm was really well done, well mixed, ebbs and flows (Dolphins lost, of course, even with no Brady).

So surreal to see the WS's of the empty stadium, then hear the "crowd" energy increase as the players line up.

But then the 4pm Fox broadcast of Bucs/Saints turned it up a notch- the rise and fall, "oohs" and "boos"- incredible.

A friend told me the NBA used crowd sound from video games. I don't know where the football nat is coming from, but the sources and live editing/mixing was excellent.

I'd love to know how it's done- samples, loops? Triggered by what?

Fox has always had more player hitting/crunching sound, and with control of "the crowd", this was assured.
    I was reading about parabolic mics, and found out the QB's cadence/audibles are picked up by a mic on the back of the center's pads, not the parabolic.

But Fox's sound was just superb, I'd love to watch it mixed live.

PS (to quote a wise one)- funny moment when they went to the booth and Aikmen's light was off and he was reaching out to turn it on, saw he was on-cam and stretched his arms wide in a "WTF?!?" moment...

murmur, murmur... YAY!!!

3. Collapse Details
    Dropped Howard and Breida from Fantasy this morning. Thought I might have picked up a pair of sleepers late (with one winning the job) as they are obviously both talented in the right system with opportunities, but just not waiting past week 1 to find out.

What is it with Miami and RBs in the last 4,5 years?

4. Collapse Details
    It's a Ricky Williams curse.

5. Collapse Details
    A new soccer formation - X-------------------------------------------------------X, very distant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54193770

6. Collapse Details
    Anyone else noticing the "crowd noise" completely dropping out every so often on the MNF game tonight? The booth will still be there, but the "crowd" will drop for like a second and then just come back.

7. Collapse Details
    This one isn't a great broadcast...not sure what's going on. (I'm watching it on ABC where the refs' mics were hot earlier in the night.)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    This one isn't a great broadcast...not sure what's going on. (I'm watching it on ABC where the refs' mics were hot earlier in the night.)
    Not one to hang their hat on, especially for the 50th anniversary game/broadcast. I watched on ESPN. Flipped over to ABC for just a second before kick-off when they said they were simulcasting tonight. Audio and picture coming through my local ABC affiliate was not as good compared to ESPN directly. Image was a little muddy, but the audio was sub-par and immediately noticeable and what caught my attention first.

And yes, I did notice the hot ref mic in the first half.

We're much more sensitive to audio issues or bad audio than we are bad video.

Also: Did anyone else catch the halftime report that said the league handed down over $1 million in fines for not wearing masks on the sidelines for Sunday's games. Three coaches fined $100K and their respective teams fined $250K.

9. Collapse Details
    As far as the fines, the enforcement behind the protocol is as ridiculous as other COVID guidelines, especially being able to take off your mask to eat or drink in public locations.

First of all, all of the head coaches from Week 1 had them off at some point or another, but the league only decided to make an example out of three whom I guess maybe made less of an effort to put them back on after calling a play.

Secondly, Gruden and Payton both barely had theirs on tonight so I am interested in hearing if they will be fined.

Lastly, the entire organization gets together for daily activities, practices and travels with each other every day/week. At some point at some time, someone doesn't have a mask on at all times. The players definitely don't and I'm assuming many of the coaches don't either on their own turf in their own buildings, Tuesday-Friday.

It makes no sense that it would all of a sudden make any difference when they step out on the field for the game.

10. Collapse Details
    You've left off that they are all tested and those who come up positive are quarantined even if they're not showing any symptoms.

So, it's all for show.

PS. I was watching the US Open with no fans and the Buffalo-Miami game with some fans in the stands. The Miami locals sat in a 100+ degree heat with the anti-Covid masks on. Additionally, the contest was suspended for 35 minutes due to a lightning storm in the area. And yet there were still folks at the stadium at the end. I hope the hot dogs were worth it.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast