Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    You have the older Flowtechs or some other model of Sachtler?
    I have the Sachtler CF ENG legs, not Flowtech.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    But you still can't do the "ped-up" live.
    Interesting that you would bring that up because part of the allure is whether it's possible to do a smooth "ped-down" as a mini jib move. I rarely incorporate jib moves anymore because they take so much time. It would be nice to have the option.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Interesting that you would bring that up because part of the allure is whether it's possible to do a smooth "ped-down" as a mini jib move. I rarely incorporate jib moves anymore because they take so much time. It would be nice to have the option.
    Maybe some guys had a technique(or new ones were tighter), but with the one's I've used, whenever you release the column to move up or down, it had enough play that it would show up on-camera.

There are/were definitely things to like about the HotPod, but I think it just comes down to personal preferences and criteria for what you want in a tripod.

4. Collapse Details
    I figured as such. Maybe that's the next latest and greatest invention. Until then, it's good to have options. FlowTechs look good.

5. Collapse Details
    Flowtech legs slipping?
    Does anyone have issues with the Flowtech 75 legs slipping? I saw one YT video review where the reviewer showed his legs would slip if he pushed down on the top of the tripod.

I have a 3 year old Sachtler FSB-6 with their previous design speed lock CF legs. I really like the compact and light design of the legs BUT they slip a lot. Once my camera even fell over (luckily no damage). I found out you can open the square box at the bottom of the tension rod and give the internal screw a turn to add tension. It helped, but one of the legs still slips. Honestly, I'm quite disappointed that this tripod hasn't lasted longer. Sachtlter won't provide an estimate for the repair, but I'm not sure I want to put $200-300 into the legs as they haven't held up well already.

I need a new set of legs, but I'm a bit concerned about investing in the Flowtech if I will be faced with the same problem that I have to fix with my current legs.
    https://vimeo.com/davepatterson
    "preditor" (shooter/editor)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davidp158 View Post
    Does anyone have issues with the Flowtech 75 legs slipping? I saw one YT video review where the reviewer showed his legs would slip if he pushed down on the top of the tripod.

I have a 3 year old Sachtler FSB-6 with their previous design speed lock CF legs. I really like the compact and light design of the legs BUT they slip a lot. Once my camera even fell over (luckily no damage). I found out you can open the square box at the bottom of the tension rod and give the internal screw a turn to add tension. It helped, but one of the legs still slips. Honestly, I'm quite disappointed that this tripod hasn't lasted longer. Sachtlter won't provide an estimate for the repair, but I'm not sure I want to put $200-300 into the legs as they haven't held up well already.

I need a new set of legs, but I'm a bit concerned about investing in the Flowtech if I will be faced with the same problem that I have to fix with my current legs.
    I have the same problem with my Speedlock 75 legs. Also my FSB6 is leaking a bit of fluid. Dropped off the tripod and head at the Vitec/Sachtler headquarters in Shelton, CT. Was quoted a $640 repair price.
    Last edited by nutmegger; 08-25-2020 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Corrected location of Vitec/Sachtler facility.

7. Collapse Details
    I have no issues with the Flowtech 75 legs slipping. I haven't had that happen with any Sachtler legs, though I did just recently have my spreader break, a little connecting piece between the parts... Bummer. But in fairness I am pretty hard on the gear.

8. Collapse Details
    I have two sets of 100mm Sachtler CF Speedlocks, a 100mm HD set of Speedlocks and a 100mm set of Flowtechs. The only tripod that I've had an issue with leg tension/slipping is actually one of the legs on the 100mm HD set that has a 200lb+ payload capacity. It was usually taken care of by tightening up the tension in the lock/brake mechanism. Haven't had any slippage issues with the regular Speedlocks(oldest pair is ~13 years old) and no slippage problems with the 100mm Flowtechs. The Flowtechs also have a tension adjustment for the leg locks/brakes that is user adjustable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRTa-WXa2g

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    .Has anyone owned the Flowtech sticks for a while? Are they still working the way they are intended to? Do the legs still extend smoothly without effort?
    I've had a 100mm Flowtech and 75mm Flowtech for a couple of years. Both have been trouble-free and work perfectly. No complaints. In fact, I like them so much I added another 100mm Flowtech (this time from OConnor), so now I have three Flowtechs. There's no way I'd go back to an old-fashioned tripod. I do agree with the earlier suggestion that the mid-level spreader is absolutely necessary. As for losing feet, yeah, it will happen and I didn't mind having to buy a pack of three because I figured sooner or later I'll need the other two. On the 75mm the feet were a particular problem coming off so I cable-tied them on and they can't come off now. The black cable tie isn't even visible to a casual viewer.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    So, I was out of town this weekend shooting for a client with their gear(one of the few that I will). They use Sachtler heads and Gitzo tripods. I HATE Gitzo's. Yes, they're versatile, but such a pain to use. I'm also not a fan of Sachtler heads, either(and their tie-down knobs just add insult to injury and slow you down even more).

So after using their sticks all day on day-one, I decided to pack theirs back up and use one of my set's of Speedlocks/Vinten 100's that I had in my truck, for the other two days(one of my guys had my Flowtech 100's on another shoot). Using the Speedlocks was 100x times better than the Gitzo's, BUT compared to the Flowtech's, they were still a pain in the ass. I've gotten so use to the way that Flowtech's operate, that even the very good Speedlocks can't hold a candle to them, and I wished all weekend long that I had had my Flowtech's with me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast