Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Flowtech 100 Legs - Any Long Term Owner Experiences Out There?
    I've been eyeing the Flowtech 100 legs for a while, but after reading a single review on BH's product page, it has me second guessing them. In it the user writes:

"Had one for the last week. The legs do not drop free when you release the red clamps, and must be physically pulled down and extended manually. The leg lock hinges also constantly unlock, causing the legs not to be able to spread out when tripod is opened. The leg hinge lock buttons are too easy to push, and will unlock from simply laying in the trunk of a vehicle. For ENG quick deployment, I am finding this to tripod takes a lot of setup time. After it is setup, a full minute later, the tripod is extremely stable, especially torsionally, meaning it doesnt twist when a lot of force is applied, and the built in handle is really nice. When the legs actually dropped freely the first few days of ownership, that handle made it easy to hold the tripod in the air while the legs fell to the ground. Spreader seems built like a tank, and the feet are a big improvement over past Sachtler feet that would tend to roll over 90 degrees."

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these when I read that. I currently own a used pair of Miller Sprinter sticks, which are supposed to act in a similar fashion. You can adjust the extension of the legs from a single point on the tripod. But the Miller legs I have are old, heavily used, and a bit janky, even after being serviced by Miller. They don't extend with gravity and I am forced to manually pull them down, which is endlessly frustrating. I was hoping the Sachtler Flowtech could achieve what Miller originally set out to do. But perhaps after a bit of ownership, the Flowtechs will end up sticking just like my Miller does.

Has anyone owned the Flowtech sticks for a while? Are they still working the way they are intended to? Do the legs still extend smoothly without effort?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I've had the Flowtech 100's since a few weeks to maybe month after initial release(my sales rep managed to get me a pair of legs away from a head/leg combo early on before the legs themselves were supposed to be available- Vitech wanted to sell packages first[$$$]). I've used Sachtler Speedlocks since late 2007(2x regular 100 Speedlocks and a 100 HD pair) and these are my GO-TO legs. I use them paired with a Vinten 100, as my 'A' set-up and have used them with a Vinten 250, too. My only real complaint is that sometimes the legs don't deploy as easily as I'd like for taller set-ups, but it may just be that I need to clean them more. Otherwise, they are pretty much superior in every way to Speedlocks and every other ENG type legs that I've ever had or used in ~23 years of shooting.

Buy them and don't look back or have a second thought. And they're less expensive than the excellent Speedlocks.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    The complaint of legs sticking could be any set of tripod legs with a little too much dust or gunk on them. RnG would know if they weren’t good.

All tripods need to be maintained and occasional work, like making sure there are no loose screws or cracks in the carbon fiber, etc. they carry precious cargo.

4. Collapse Details
    Great feedback all around. Thanks. I think I’ll go for it. Now I just have to decide if I should get the mid-level spreader or not. My Miller Solo sticks don’t have a spreader and I love those things. It seems like the mid-level spreader on the Flowtech might actually hinder their functionality by preventing the ability to move quickly into low mode.

5. Collapse Details
    You need the spreader. While you can use them without the spreader, and it does attach/detach quickly, the leg joints are not heavily tensioned like Gizo's, Millers, etc. and they can flop around on you at extreme angles. I do wish they were tensioned more, so that I could pull the spreader when there are times that I know that I'm going to be doing some down on the deck hi-hat like shooting. That actually reminds me, because I've been meaning to reach out to Vitec and ask if it's possible for them to find a way to make them behave like that.

6. Collapse Details
    I’m happy with mine. No issues with it getting stuck coming out. Just don’t lose a foot like I did. I called Sachtler to get a foot replacement and they said they only sell them in a set of three and not individually. Who do they think I am, Quentin Tarentino?

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Just don’t lose a foot like I did. I called Sachtler to get a foot replacement and they said they only sell them in a set of three and not individually. Who do they think I am, Quentin Tarentino?
    I hear ya. I just had to replace a single, custom screw on my C200. $75! If there's one number I don't ever want to know, it's how much I've spent on ancillary replacement parts over the years.

8. Collapse Details
    I've been using flowtech legs for a couple of years now and really like them. I'm hard on them and they've held up. They're fast to get up and little things like the magnets are appreciated. Like any carbon fibre legs they could stick if they're really dirty. Maybe the reviewer had a pair that was over tightened?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markoconnell View Post
    I've been using flowtech legs for a couple of years now and really like them. I'm hard on them and they've held up. They're fast to get up and little things like the magnets are appreciated. Like any carbon fibre legs they could stick if they're really dirty. Maybe the reviewer had a pair that was over tightened?
    Same here, love mine, and agree about the reviewer.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

10. Collapse Details
    I don't own the Flowtech legs but have used and rented them a few times. A DP friend of mine bought them and he loves them too.
    They seem to be the best legs on the market for most uses (other than the biggest, heaviest duty O'Connor or Ronford heads for 1,000mm nature shooters).
    I will eventually buy a set but my Miller Solos (I have a Carbon and an Alumminum set) work and are paid for so I am stuck with them for a while.

Vitec hit a home run with these
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast