1. Collapse Details
    Talent operated camera
    Looking to set up a kit that will be shipped to my talent overseas. Due to the present situation I am obviously not able to get to them.

I am looking for the simplest 4k camera to operate.

Am thinking a SonyA6600 with a 16-50mm lens to be tripod mounted with a Rode mic, a small autocue for questions and a ring light. The A6600 also has a flip out screen so the talent can look at themselves and set the shot.

I would set the kit up in a pelican case so that set up is just the tripod and logging on to the autocue through an iPhone/Android phone.

Autofocus will be necessary as well as some kind of auto audio levels. Then it is just a matter of the talent setting the shot and pressing record.

Any thoughts in regards to this set up or what may work better. Needs to be pre set so it can just be taken out of the case onto the tripod and press record.

2. Collapse Details
    Pretty good choice although I'd send the a6400. Exactly the same camera for video besides IBIS. Is IBIS needed?

Also, if the talent wants to see themselves on the screen then the ring light would have to be one where the camera sits in the middle of it unless you're planning on using a stand for it because anything on the shoe will block the LCD from flipping all the way up (you can rig it slightly higher with extra accessories).

I'd film in 4K, 100mbps (HD is not good). Any profile you think is best. Eye-tracking should be ON for video. Or at least face-tracking. You can program a button on the camera to switch between the left or right eye if he/she needed to for any reason. 'Auto' works fine most of the time if both eyes are in the shot, but I like to set it to one so it's not flipping back and forth by any chance.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Consider a 4k consumer camcorder. Those are as point and shoot as it gets. They are made for vloggers pointing at themselves and every other direction with autofocus. Plug a lav into it or use the built in mic, put it on a table with a tabletop tripod. Easy peasy. No need for a Pelican case. Just ship the camera in the original box.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/4k-camcor...ocdbym8j2z5czj

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Fuget.../dp/B01LY7HYWU

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Consider a 4k consumer camcorder. Those are as point and shoot as it gets. They are made for vloggers pointing at themselves and every other direction with autofocus. Plug a lav into it or use the built in mic, put it on a table with a tabletop tripod. Easy peasy. No need for a Pelican case. Just ship the camera in the original box.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/4k-camcor...ocdbym8j2z5czj

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Fuget.../dp/B01LY7HYWU
    I wouldn't risk AF with just any camcorder because most of them were made before AF systems were stable. There are only a few camcorders that can be used from the last two years if AF (especially face-tracking without hunting) needs to work well.

The a6400/a6600 is one of the world's best AF cameras.

5. Collapse Details
    No. Not interested in a camcorder. Good to hear thoughts on the a6400 and yes I'd have to work something around the ring light.

Let me know any other thoughts however good to hear others thinking the same thing.

Cheers.

6. Collapse Details
    That's pretty much it on my end. Maybe send a better lens if doable. And keep in mind possible overheating if planning on filming for several hours straight. (Good news is there is no recording limit. And one thing to add is the a6600 has the new bigger battery than the a6400.)

7. Collapse Details
    BTW...audio...camera preamps may sound fine for even built-in recording, but using a lav or shotgun microphone would of course be better.

If you end up using a 3.5mm battery-powered shotgun microphone that has built-in gain (like a Rode), you can drop the level pretty low in the camera (2, 5, 10 - whatever works, depends on voice/distance), and put the gain up on the microphone. A 3.5mm lav will most likely require you dropping the level regardless.

The internal default level is high 20s (I don't remember the exact number).

___

I think audio will be most challenging if talent doesn't know about monitoring levels or any unexpected peaks occur with different voices.

A 32-bit float point recorder would be your best friend. You'd have to sync/work on audio in post, but you'd have perfect audio if everything was on and running smoothly.

Or use one of these and record a safety track.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_compact.html

___

EDiT: P.S. Just realized you're most likely going to go with auto levels so the above doesn't really apply (and it's probably too complicated involving another piece of hardware) but I'll leave it up anyway if anyone else comes across it.
    Last edited by NorBro; 04-30-2020 at 12:40 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks NorBro. In a more normal situation I'd totally go with something like the Beachtek however this needs to be super simple and I think going with the auto audio is going to have to do.

In most situations shoots will be in controlled environments and inside studios and offices packed with books and textiles I feel reasonably comfortable that the sound should be good.

Good to know the setting on the Rodes though appreciate it.

Cheers.

9. Collapse Details
    How did this turn out? Any advice/experience after shooting this way?