Thread: The New Display

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    oh cool! Welcome! your experience is invaluable!

I find as video pros, we have to at some point go home, and work off the clock looking at our footage and figuring out whatever the hell new camera that just came out. To complicate things, we now have HDR on the horizon to keep an eye on.

So, the game has really gone up for video pros. we have to have something that does us some good in our quest to master the camera. Obviously, for work, we leave colouring and mastering to the pros. And when it comes to HDR, we don't even really have a choice.

We end up flying blind into these monitor setups for our own use. We get the idea that a 10bit system is not as simple as buying a 10bit monitor. But something as simple as contrast ratio might get us. For example, the BenQ SW270C has a high contrast ratio listed.... but they also mention uniformity technology. BOTH great things, right? Nope. Well, sort of. The uniformity tech has to lower the contrast ratio in order to improve screen uniformity. So, the contrast ratio numbers on the BenQ are rather theoretical. In use, they are just ok. And trying to find how accurate a monitor is with gamma curves...

Needless to say, the display chain is a video pros next "dark room in the bathroom/closet/basement" to be able to make sense of all these cameras, and aid in developing our own style, or just keeping up with standards.

I see so many video guys/gals excited to share some footage on social, and the levels are off, and it is no wonder some just broadbrush some lifted shadows and orange/teal the whole thing.
    Last edited by James0b57; 04-28-2020 at 04:51 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    the simple answer is to get a 55" LG c9, or the upcoming cx in 48" or 55" + callibration
    larger = increased linearity issues
    really no cheaper or better answer untill serious coin gets dropped
    but not production / set friendly (understatment) and useless for HDR as the "w" in woled is white and a bit past 100nit there's no saturation to be had, as only the woled is in play
    i know of a number of DP's who have this set at home for screening dalies, they present images that are pretty close to the hero in my suite
    Last edited by Dermot; 04-28-2020 at 09:06 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
    the simple answer is to get a 55" LG c9, or the upcoming cx in 48" or 55" + callibration
    larger = increased linearity issues
    really no cheaper or better answer untill serious coin gets dropped
    but not production / set friendly (understatment) and useless for HDR as the "w" in woled is white and a bit past 100nit there's no saturation to be had, as only the woled is in play
    i know of a number of DP's who have this set at home for screening dalies, they present images that are pretty close to the hero in my suite
    The 48" OLED sounds pretty great.

I've been keeping an HD plasma as my "viewer" for the last several years. Though beginning to want a 4K version of that. Trying to hold out and see how ABL performs. I love these OLED's but after my experience with plasma, I was a little thrown off by the brightness limiter. Doesn't bother me when watching something, but when evaluating footage or building LUT's, etc, is nice to have something that doesn't make me second guess. But they are gorgeous. Was about to pick up one of those 55" when they were on sale below a grand.

4. Collapse Details
    yea, better reliable HD than dodgy UHD.. the last gen PanaPlasma can callibrate well, no way around ABL tho, but the c8 has the same issue, have not worked in a room with a c9, reports say they are much the same..

5. Collapse Details
    I’ll keep an eye on the LG 48”. Seems like the perfect home “studio” viewer for dailies, etc.

Oh boy, i shipped the SW270C back a while ago, but fedex has been swamped and it took them a few days before even taking the package from the drop off location. I acctually went back to the drop off location to see why it hadn’t gone out yet, and turned out the box was still there! (Apprently the fedex pickup driver didn’t want to lift a big box) The kind person there put a note on the package and it went out the next day with a 5/04 ETD. Now the ETD is 5/06. So, i was hoping to have the Eizo here by now, but i also can’t complain with USA based companies’ return policies. Really takes the risk out of buying. Which... encourages more buying. Anyway, i can tell you, having a BenQ is better than not having anything, that’s for sure. Haha.

6. Collapse Details
    While waiting for this return...

Looked into the Eizo line up a bit more, and trying not to get pulled into spending more, because after this lock down, I'll be able to work with a colorist again, and will regret not putting my money towards more specifically camera related expenses.

But here is what I noticed about the Eizo ColorEdge line up.

HDR reference is still new, so, they have one but is fantastically expensive, so will ignore that for us camera shooters and DP's.

CGX series seems to be the flagship line up. 3Dluts, good contrast ratios, HDR input (not reference), all the things. Eizo only seems to recommend the top two monitors in the ColorEdge line up for colour grading. The 31" DCI 4K CGX models. One of which is the new HDR reference monitor called "Prominence"

CG is the mid tier ColorEdge. 1Dluts, but good contrast, comes with a hood and built in probe. (the extra contrast is sought buy photographers that intend to print)

CS is the budget minded model. 1Dlut, lower contrast, no hood, probe optional.

Screen sizes 24" 27" and 31"
    Resolution options:
    WXGA 1900x1200, 16:10 (24")
    QHD 2560x1440, 16:9 (27")
    UHD, 16:9 (27")
    4K(on select models) 17:9 (31")

Seeing the CS2420 at approximately $900 and the CG2420 at roughly $1500, it would seem that is a lot to pay for a little extra contrast or deeper blacks. However, the CG series includes the $200 hood and a built in probe, so, it really is only about $300 more, but you are forced to get the hood and probe. Additionally, the matte finish on the CG is said to be better than the CS series. Something to do with details. The CS matte finish may slightly dither the pixels.

EIZO recently announced UHD and QHD 27" models in the CS series, but I cannot find them for sale anywhere. It might actually be a great option for some. I'm trying to stick with simplicity, and the lowest price of entry.

Side note, the CS2420 is smaller and more portable, so I can possibly use it for DIT at some point. And it has an aspect ratio of 16:10 that better fits my wacom pan tablet. AND, I am still using a Black Magic mini monitor, so if I ever send signal, it would only be HD anyway. AND, 1920x1200 seems good for GUI text, should I just keep it as a GUI. The extra screen height may be good for editing timelines with a few audio tracks. IDK really how I am going to end up using it after the pandemic lock down is over.

I really have no new practical experience the last two weeks because of the delayed return shipping.
    Last edited by James0b57; 05-11-2020 at 02:06 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    LG CX series OLED also suffer from ABL. Maybe next year.

One would think, that is not at peak brightness it could chill on the ABL? Ah well. Still an incredible image. And the prices are actually lower than OLED’s used to be, it seems? 48” OLED looking like a June release, at least in the US.
    Last edited by James0b57; 05-11-2020 at 03:29 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Looks like the Eizo CS2731(QHD) and CS2740(UHD) are available for preorder now, for ~$1,250 and ~$1,800 respectively. Interesting choices. They are the only “2K+” and UHD options under $2,000 in the Color Edge series.

LG OLED C9 still dims when a static image is displayed. No way to turn that off. But is a gorgeous low cost display.
    Last edited by James0b57; 05-28-2020 at 10:51 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    yea, the dimming is true PITA when gradeing and stopping on a bright frame, it takes half of forever to un-dim once playing again

30k is still the entry price for a low compromise solution

cross fingers for LG to sort it sooner than later, apperanlty LG know about it, and are working on a fix, slowly working on a fix it seems....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    One would assume at 100nits that auto dimming might not be needed? Or maybe would require a cooling system? Haha, i am totally just speculating here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast