Thread: The New Display

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    $1,175 if you know someone who works for Apple....
    The insider! Haha.

Any news yet? Whenever I have to wake up a third party monitor on a Mac, the sometimes several seconds lag gets me, and I start thinking about this monitor.

2. Collapse Details
    Early report on the LG 5K:

Ran it through DisplayCal with my X-Rite i1 Display Pro and it was VERY similar to when I calibrated my 5K iMac - did almost the same thing. Lowered the contrast and got rid of the blue/magenta shift that seems to come standard with all Mac displays. The main difference is that the monitor itself scored better out of the box than my previous iMac's display. (I've attached a bunch of screen grabs below for anyone that's interested)

However, I am running into a very weird quirk where when I'm inside Premiere it's almost like the display profile disappears....my footage is VERY saturated inside Premiere, but once I export out a file and play it back in Quicktime or Preview it looks totally fine. If I click back to Premiere that same clips looks way saturated again.... Haven't opened Resolve yet to see if it has the same problem

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.23.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.24.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.24.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.24.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.46.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.46.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.47.53 PM.jpg
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Ran into colour difference issues when jumping between FCPX, Davinci, and Premiere, and then QuickTime player. Same footage looked very different in each application. And not just colours, but the contrast and/or sharpness was effected too.

that is an issue with the apps and system all processing the images differently. Hence why so many try to bypass the system and the GUI.

4. Collapse Details
    The DELTA E average in the last screenshot says 1.5? is that correct? That is pretty good. According to more critical reviewers, that is just on the cusp of "noticeable". Anything over tends to skew towards bad, and anything lower tends to be really good. BUT, I am not an expert in these things, and I am just going by what I have read and noticed from personal experience so far.

The first screen shot is saying that the colour gamut is completely covered, which is great! Apple's DCI-P3 colour gamut is pretty big, and I had issues with it on the BenQ.

How is colour uniformity and black uniformity? I just take a photo of a white screen, and then a photo of a black screen. Not the most accurate test, but if you can't see any issues by eye, then there really isn't any issue. right? I've never seen a perfect monitor that was affordable.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Ran into colour difference issues when jumping between FCPX, Davinci, and Premiere, and then QuickTime player. Same footage looked very different in each application. And not just colours, but the contrast and/or sharpness was effected too.

that is an issue with the apps and system all processing the images differently. Hence why so many try to bypass the system and the GUI.
    Interesting....I never noticed a difference (well ok Quicktime always does something, especially with ProRes files...) on my iMac between programs. I'm also wondering if something is getting lost in the handshake between my MacBook Pro and the Monitor/Software, because the difference is insane. For my film I actually plugged my old iMac back in to do final color correction, ejected the external drive, and then plugged it back in to my new computer to render. The grade looked crazy inside premiere, but after exporting it looked exactly as it should on all my devices.

The DELTA E average in the last screenshot says 1.5? is that correct? That is pretty good. According to more critical reviewers, that is just on the cusp of "noticeable". Anything over tends to skew towards bad, and anything lower tends to be really good. BUT, I am not an expert in these things, and I am just going by what I have read and noticed from personal experience so far.

The first screen shot is saying that the colour gamut is completely covered, which is great! Apple's DCI-P3 colour gamut is pretty big, and I had issues with it on the BenQ.

How is colour uniformity and black uniformity? I just take a photo of a white screen, and then a photo of a black screen. Not the most accurate test, but if you can't see any issues by eye, then there really isn't any issue. right? I've never seen a perfect monitor that was affordable.
    The DELTA E average is actually .39 on the last screen shot (to the left it says that equal to less than 1.5 is nominal and less than 1 is recommended (I know DVXUSER squashes those images, so hard to read on here)

DisplayCal has a good uniformity test where you move the i1 Display Pro all around the screen, but I haven't ran it on this monitor yet. (I remember my iMac being all over the places, especially at the edges).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    The grade looked crazy inside premiere, but after exporting it looked exactly as it should on all my devices.
    Not sure why that is. I haven't worked in premiere for colour grading.
    The DELTA E average is actually .39 on the last screen shot (to the left it says that equal to less than 1.5 is nominal and less than 1 is recommended (I know DVXUSER squashes those images, so hard to read on here)
    Yes, most of the text was not clear enough for me to read. And perhaps I don't understand these charts as well as I thought. I just saw the AVERAGE said 1.5, but I was zoomed in to see the text and cropped out the "actual" column. 0.39 is better than EIZO, yeah? At least for Apple's colour space DCI-P3.

DisplayCal has a good uniformity test where you move the i1 Display Pro all around the screen, but I haven't ran it on this monitor yet. (I remember my iMac being all over the places, especially at the edges).
    I haven't run one yet, as most of the monitors I've used are visibly non-uniform.
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-30-2020 at 09:18 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Here's a link to download all of those screen grabs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...HV?usp=sharing

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks! I'll do something similar this week, and try to post screenshots. In the meantime, here one of the more thorough reviews of the CG2420 that I have found:
    https://www.color-management-guide.c...or-review.html

How is the LG uniformity by eye for you?

9. Collapse Details
    Just replaced the CS2420 with the CG2420.

First impression is that the difference is not quite as big as I might have hoped. Black level and contrast are improved (brighter brights with darker black point). Improved viewing for darker rooms.

Still doesn't compete with OLED. Nothing really does.

Like the CS2420, the white screen is where is shows some colour drift and dips in brightness. Black uniformity seems good.

Made the jump to the CG from the CS because the pandemic has gone on longer than I or anyone anticipated and so I find myself needing a slightly better screen to do grades and build luts at home. The CS2420 felt good, and gave some confidence, but it became less than ideal in a dark room. So, giving the CG2420 a go.

10. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Thanks for the thread James!
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast