Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Not sure who the "you" is there - if it's me, I haven't used the hybrid. Of course, I know of the Trinity.

This is the first I've heard of the Volt - is it the smartphone gimbal? Looks a lot like my old Merlin. That design makes sense. I remember reading a few years back that steadicam ops were considering putting 1-axis gimbals from Letus on top of their steadicam just to stabilize their horizon while leaving the rest of the movement to them.

By tiffen/Ronin-S do you mean the Steadimate-S? (I know you can rig the ronin-s up to whatever arm/vest you have, too.) The issue I see with that is that all your pan/tilt moves are still mediated by the Ronin, so I'm not convinced you can make the footage more organic. Maybe you can turn off pan-axis motors, not sure. I don't think turning off the tilt would help you, though, because the camera would stay level while you tilted the handle. I assume that the Trinity has more complex modes of operation and can transfer more pan/tilt control to the user's hands/fingers.

The reasons to get the Steadimate IMO are to transfer the weight to your body and to steady your z-axis bounce. I could use the z-axis steadying (although I get by with the ninja walk), but the weight of my rig is manageable even for a long shoot day. I just have to be careful to keep my wrist straight and not overuse the locking trigger because either way I strain myself over time.

Floor-to-ceiling moves are probably rare, depending on what you're shooting. But don't knock a vertical gimbal move! I shoot them and it looks just like a jib move. Very handy for doing a reveal past a foreground object. Or I was shooting a doc a few months ago and they wanted b-roll of some AIDS quilts hanging from the balcony in a church. Putting the Ronin-S on a light stand let me get footage from the level of the quilts, and also to move upward into that position or keep going and float past them by lowering/raising the stand with my arms. I actually had a fair bit of vertical movement available that way. Doing the same thing with a fluid head instead of a gimbal would have been completely unusable because there was plenty of wavering in my light stand.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    Oh, and Komodo - that would be awesome on a gimbal. I don't think it will make sense for me a business move, though. I don't think corporate/eng/doc clients would be drawn to it (maybe doc?) And I don't think narrative/MV jobs would be either (maybe if they were gimbal heavy?) If it were $2-3k, I could justify it for the sake of improving my footage. (But even then, it's nice for a gimbal cam to have continuous AF and IBIS.) For me, I think the money is in pairing a Sony or Canon ENG camera with a mirrorless. Komodo makes great sense as a B cam for your Helium or as an A cam for an indy producer buying their own camera IMO.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    Hybrids are way to go.

I really like my Steadicam Volt.
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I got to put on the Trinity twice. Has a great feel.

The Volt is amazing. And for me, it is the most natural transition. I don’t tend to shoot in ways that i don’t naturally move, so floor to ceiling moves are a pretty rare choice for me.

But goodness, the Trinity is cool rig. The Tiffen Steadicam/DJI Ronin S combo Sort of operates similarly maybe once the Komodo is out in the wild, there will be an incredible tool in that setup.

You use hybrids much?
    May get to use the Volt soon. I text one of my buddies that is a Steadicam op and instructor about a week ago to see if this would be a good time to get some practice in. He said sure, as soon as he gets the rest of the stuff in from Tiffen. I didn’t know he had sold his Ultra 2 and switched to the M2. He already had a Volt on his Ultra, but the last time I flew it was before he had the Volt.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Not sure who the "you" is there - if it's me, I haven't used the hybrid. Of course, I know of the Trinity.

This is the first I've heard of the Volt - is it the smartphone gimbal? Looks a lot like my old Merlin. That design makes sense. I remember reading a few years back that steadicam ops were considering putting 1-axis gimbals from Letus on top of their steadicam just to stabilize their horizon while leaving the rest of the movement to them.

By tiffen/Ronin-S do you mean the Steadimate-S? (I know you can rig the ronin-s up to whatever arm/vest you have, too.) The issue I see with that is that all your pan/tilt moves are still mediated by the Ronin, so I'm not convinced you can make the footage more organic. Maybe you can turn off pan-axis motors, not sure. I don't think turning off the tilt would help you, though, because the camera would stay level while you tilted the handle. I assume that the Trinity has more complex modes of operation and can transfer more pan/tilt control to the user's hands/fingers.

The reasons to get the Steadimate IMO are to transfer the weight to your body and to steady your z-axis bounce. I could use the z-axis steadying (although I get by with the ninja walk), but the weight of my rig is manageable even for a long shoot day. I just have to be careful to keep my wrist straight and not overuse the locking trigger because either way I strain myself over time.

Floor-to-ceiling moves are probably rare, depending on what you're shooting. But don't knock a vertical gimbal move! I shoot them and it looks just like a jib move. Very handy for doing a reveal past a foreground object. Or I was shooting a doc a few months ago and they wanted b-roll of some AIDS quilts hanging from the balcony in a church. Putting the Ronin-S on a light stand let me get footage from the level of the quilts, and also to move upward into that position or keep going and float past them by lowering/raising the stand with my arms. I actually had a fair bit of vertical movement available that way. Doing the same thing with a fluid head instead of a gimbal would have been completely unusable because there was plenty of wavering in my light stand.
    Granted I still need LOTS of practice, because I’m not good with a gimbal, either, but I’m trying to make the Ronin S behave as close to a sled as possible, so I put it in Sport Mode, which minimizes the amount of lag between movement from the operator and reaction from the gimbal. I’ve also been experimenting with FPV Mode combined with Sport Mode, which removes roll compensation/horizon leveling. I do wish there was a way to “hard lock” the pan axis on the Ronin S like on the big Ronin 2, without it fighting you. But one thing on panning, the Steadimate gimbal does not pan as freely as a normal Steadicam gimbal. There is a decent amount of friction/resistance there when it’s under load.

So far, for me, the biggest thing the Steadimate/arm/vest is doing is just taking the weight of of your arms. But it’s doing it well. You can carry it around forever, but you’re not gonna get some of the crazy shots that you can get just hand holding it.

5. Collapse Details
    Oh wow I was totally looking at the wrong volt. Yes the steadicam volt is the horizon leveler people were talking about a few years back and it's come to life. Brilliant.

I typically use the Ronin-S in the opposite way, only employing Sport mode for fast pans. My default setting is low acceleration and a relatively high deadband so I can pan gradually rotating the handle or using the joystick. But now I'm interested in trying it your way, except I don't have a steadimate.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Oh wow I was totally looking at the wrong volt. Yes the steadicam volt is the horizon leveler people were talking about a few years back and it's come to life. Brilliant.

I typically use the Ronin-S in the opposite way, only employing Sport mode for fast pans. My default setting is low acceleration and a relatively high deadband so I can pan gradually rotating the handle or using the joystick. But now I'm interested in trying it your way, except I don't have a steadimate.
    Even though I grew up playing video games, and still play now, I do not like operating that way. I'm just so used to being in direct control, either with the camera on my shoulder/in my hand or on a tripod. I'm just so much more comfortable with my eye in the VF and my hand on the camera. I mean I'm trying to learn and adapt, but you know what they say about old dogs... Lol And something else that has crossed my mind, as we get older our reaction time/reflexes slow and so many monitors now have perceptible lag, couple that with removing the direct physical connection to the camera and there's a lot of disconnect.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I think a lot of my gimbal moves are pretty much prefigured dolly moves, so I know what I'm going to do in advance. Of course, you still need to adjust your framing in the monitor and keep the image composed. And yes, when I'm tracking pesky humans, I have to be more on my toes because they might make a quick move or the groom could dip the bride, etc. Of course, you can quickly activate Sports mode by pushing the M button. Sometimes I build that into the middle of my shot when I need to do a quick pan to reframe and my normal settings are way too slow.

Operating a gimbal is DEFINITELY not the most naturalistic.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Even though I grew up playing video games, and still play now, I do not like operating that way. I'm just so used to being in direct control, either with the camera on my shoulder/in my hand or on a tripod. I'm just so much more comfortable with my eye in the VF and my hand on the camera. I mean I'm trying to learn and adapt, but you know what they say about old dogs... Lol And something else that has crossed my mind, as we get older our reaction time/reflexes slow and so many monitors now have perceptible lag, couple that with removing the direct physical connection to the camera and there's a lot of disconnect.
    Agreed. Tech is opening up possibilities that are exciting, but best if we don’t forget the obvious benefits of having a connection to the tools we use.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112