Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    S-Gamut in Custom Mode on Sony FS7
    Hey fellas. I was wondering if when you shoot in Custom mode with S-Log2 or S-Log3 and have the Matrix turned off, does the camera default to S-Gamut? I've read conflicting posts where some say that it is S-Gamut and some say that it isn't. I don't shoot in Custom mode very often, but every now and then I have to. I wanted to know what the camera was working with when selecting S-Log in Custom.

Thanks and Happy Easter!

2. Collapse Details
    S-gamut in custom mode is just a 709 style.

3. Collapse Details
    Josh, I'm pretty sure that all Custom uses in S-Gamut in the FS7 .
    It is strange that the A7iii or A7Sii give you a choice of a bunch of different Gamuts and you don't have that in the FS7 but that's the way it is. Sony departments often don't talk to each other.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your responses! I figured it was just S-Gamut, but I wasn't sure if it was a rec 709 style like Tom said or not. I wish it was just S-Gamut so you could at the very least use it in conjunction with the CINE EI Slog2 when necessary. I couldn't find any info on this online.

So if it is rec 709, how does that work? It seems odd that you can select Slog2 or Slog3 in custom mode without the Matrix turned on, but have no idea what color space you're really in.

5. Collapse Details
    S Gamut is just a color space not a gamma so it is gamma independent. Slog2, Slog3, 709, hypergamma, Std gamma - doesn't matter. The Matrix is within that color space. You are right that Slog2 is designed for S Gamma so its a good match even in Custom if you can make that work for you even though you can't use a LUT.
    On the other hand there are some people ( not me) who use SLog3 in Custom also using S Gamut. It won't be the end of the world. In the A7 you can match any gamma with any gamut .

6. Collapse Details
    How do you go about setting up Slog2 or Slog3 with S Gamut in Custom mode? I guess that’s what I don’t understand.

7. Collapse Details
    I don't have the camera in front of me but as I recall its pretty straightforward. They are choices in the gamma menu along with Hyper gammas and Standard gammas. etc. However there are no LUTS fro them, so you will have a very flat desaturated image. Someone on this forum liked to shoot with Custom SLog2 and crank up the saturation but its certainly not a standard way to use Log. Generally just not done. You might find his settings if you do search here. A few other people have used Slog3 in Custom so they can white balance or use more gain and they've been happy with the results in post. You are free to experiment but there's no roadmap.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    How do you go about setting up Slog2 or Slog3 with S Gamut in Custom mode? I guess thatís what I donít understand.
    Yes I've used Custom SLOG2. To do so I found I have had to develop my own Matrix to suit. The pluses are you can now white balance and you have the wider dynamic range of SLOG2. It handles the highlights better but you still have to be mindful of protecting them while you shoot. The other side of the coin is that you are running at the base ISO of 2000. But should you need higher gain than 2000 then it is available. This is the matrix I ended up with. Generally pretty well accepted by clients. No objections so far. This was originally developed to mix FS7s with Panasonic LTs shooting in V-LOG 709 mode.

Chris Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRs...ature=youtu.be

9. Collapse Details
    Only EI Mode has Sgamut/Sgamut3/Sgamut3Cine. In Custom Mode there are subset styles of 709 available to F55 only. They use naming convention of "like."

- Sgamut3.like
    - Sgamut3cine.like

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Only EI Mode has Sgamut/Sgamut3/Sgamut3Cine. In Custom Mode there are subset styles of 709 available to F55 only. They use naming convention of "like."

- Sgamut3.like
    - Sgamut3cine.like
    Yeah that's kinda what I thought. I was under the impression that Custom mode, even when in log, doesn't record in a true S-Gamut, but rather in a Rec 709 file that may stem from S-Gamut, but is already baked into a Rec 709 file type. I wasn't sure though if that was the case when Matrix was turned off rather than selecting one of the Rec 709 options, but it looks like even when off it's still in a Rec 709 space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast