Page 79 of 112 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    Info on why both vaccines need to be kept cold: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...han-antarctica
    Moderna definitely has the edge here. Their vaccine doesn't need as low a temperature and can be stored in any hospital or pharmacy freezer, and lasts longer in refrigeration.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    A little OT, but the crux of Western individuality, is in order to fit in and be valued, one needs a certain degree of "individuality", yet truly being individualistic is actually frowned upon. back to the thread.

(it could also be said that many North Americans too easily, and perhaps wrongly, conflate much of their own culture with Western culture and thought as a whole. but again, thoroughly going off topic)
    Or maybe you dont need to fit in as much because you've got your own homestead, your own vehicle, and your own gun?

I, for one, appreciate the degree to which a person can thrive in the US without relying on or conforming to the collective.

But it's a mistake to paint any system as an extreme. Every society strikes a balance between individual freedom and compulsory conformity. Typically in the US, it's the boundary where my choices affect other people. Like I can't go shopping naked. And I need to carry car insurance in order to drive.

And the magic happens when we have a robust social debate to determine exactly where those boundaries should be and what the appropriate trade-off is of benefiting society at large at the expense of inhibiting our personal liberties. It's a beautiful thing when it works well.

3. Collapse Details
    yowza, the pfizer vaccine is actually 95% effective, they claim, having actually completed their trial now.

*humming* we're in the money, we're in the money....

4. Collapse Details
    And equally importantly safe! More data will come but with so many vaccines in the pipeline it does seem at least possible that this disease could be eradicated if the world works together.

As exciting as these vaccines are I am even more excited about what these mRNA vaccines will mean for the future of treating of other diseases like cancer. Imagine a near future where there are widely available vaccines for breast, lung and colon cancer.

Investments by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is one of the reasons it was possible to bring the Moderna vaccine to market so quickly. As recently as earlier this year much of the scientific world was skeptical this concept would even work. The world owes Bill and Melinda a great debt of gratitude.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/18/bill...a-vaccine.html

5. Collapse Details
    Informative article about how terribly the west has handled the virus compared to the east--

https://eand.co/the-wests-failure-on...k-77332f0cc5c2
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    An interesting development going on down here. Adelaide, South Australia, our fifth largest city and state just just had an outbreak of 23 cases of Covid. A new strain not seen here before. Apparently very virulent. To such a degree that once a person contacts it and becomes an asymptomatic carrier this variant with its very short incubation period can deliver a large viral load to others within 24 hours. This short retransmission time has not been seen before with Covid-19. So what happened next? The State government just locked down the entire state of SA. A state that's 1/3rd larger in area than Texas. Every man woman and dog is confined to home base 24/7. Only one person per household is allowed out once a day for food and health necessities. This is a six day solid lockdown. The States' reasoning? In the last 24 hours they have through tracking and tracing been able to chase down six generations of ongoing contacts made by these 23 individuals. The government says coming down super hard blocking everyone's movement for a week will allow them to track and trace all in the chain of contacts these 23 individuals have had and isolate and quarantine them. I don't yet know what the penalties will be in SA for breaking the lockdown but in the state of Victoria, our second most populous state they were hard to savage. From a few hundred $$s to $10,000 for repeat offenders who failed to comply with the state emergency directives. All interstate travellers now have to quarantine for fourteen days at a cost to themselves of $3,000 per head. Everything, and I mean everything bar food stores and medical facilities are closed 24/7. All social, wedding, entertainment religious and sporting events cancelled until further notiice. Will be interesting to see if they nail this new outbreak. It took Victoria 112 days with 100% masking and distancing to get to zero cases in the community. Victoria unlocking now after three weeks with zero new cases. Always a new twist with this thing. Stay well all!

Chris Young.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Informative article about how terribly the west has handled the virus compared to the east--

https://eand.co/the-wests-failure-on...k-77332f0cc5c2
    That's one depressing read Batutta.

Mind you I tend to agree with its broad brush conclusions. Our western beliefs in the sanctity of our individualism and freedom of choices makes us poor candidates for collective mass obedience and conformity in pulling together for the common good of society. Sad times.

Chris Young.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    An interesting development going on down here. Adelaide, South Australia, our fifth largest city and state just just had an outbreak of 23 cases of Covid. A new strain not seen here before. Apparently very virulent. To such a degree that once a person contacts it and becomes an asymptomatic carrier this variant with its very short incubation period can deliver a large viral load to others within 24 hours.
    Holy crap! This is alarming. Hopefully this new strain doesn't show up elsewhere, although if I were a betting man, I'd say it most likely will, either through spread or another spontaneous mutation. If it gets to the US its going to be even more catastrophic.

EDIT: Just read more about it, seems its been around since September and many think its responsible for the newest spikes. But they think they mutation makes it more susceptible to a vaccine.

9. Collapse Details
    https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/sensi...-GZKMX8QIrGbqo

Maybe Sweden had it right after all.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    This document says EXACTLY what I was trying to get across, but infinitely better.

I can't believe I had never read the Barrington Declaration before. But this is the only way forward, it is the only rational way to live, and it works in harmony with nature and human nature.

Page 79 of 112 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast