Page 67 of 89 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I can say I've rarely, if ever, been so happy to be sweating my @$$ off in Florida as now, and the upcoming 65-70 degree January...
    Last edited by groveChuck; 10-16-2020 at 12:29 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    As the Coronavirus Surges, a New Culprit Emerges: Pandemic Fatigue

Exhaustion and impatience are creating new risks as cases soar in parts of the world. “They have had enough,” one U.S. mayor said of her residents.

When the coronavirus began sweeping around the globe this spring, people from Seattle to Rome to London canceled weddings and vacations, cut off visits with grandparents and hunkered down in their homes for what they thought would be a brief but essential period of isolation.

But summer did not extinguish the virus. And with fall has come another dangerous, uncontrolled surge of infections that in parts of the world is the worst of the pandemic so far.

The United States surpassed eight million known cases this past week, and reported more than 70,000 new infections on Friday, the most in a single day since July.
    Eighteen states added more new coronavirus infections during the seven-day stretch ending on Friday than in any other week of the pandemic.

In Europe, cases are rising and hospitalizations are up. Britain is imposing new restrictions, and France has placed cities on “maximum alert,” ordering many to close all bars, gyms and sports centers. Germany and Italy set records for the most new daily cases. And leaders in the Czech Republic described their health care system as “in danger of collapsing,” as hospitals are overwhelmed and more deaths are occurring than at any time in the pandemic.

The virus has taken different paths through these countries as leaders have tried to tamp down the spread with a range of restrictions.
    Shared, though, is a public weariness and a growing tendency to risk the dangers of the coronavirus, out of desire or necessity:

With no end in sight, many people are flocking to bars, family parties, bowling alleys and sporting events much as they did before the virus hit, and others must return to school or work as communities seek to resuscitate economies.

And in sharp contrast to the spring, the rituals of hope and unity that helped people endure the first surge of the virus have given way to exhaustion and frustration.

“People are done putting hearts on their windows and teddy bears out for scavenger hunts,” said Katie Rosenberg, the mayor of Wausau, Wis., a city of 38,000 where a hospital has opened an extra unit to treat Covid-19 patients. “They have had enough.”

Ann Vossen, a medical microbiologist in the Netherlands, where daily cases doubled this past week, said people across Europe “let go too much.” She added, “This is the result.”

In parts of the world where the virus is resurging, the outbreaks and a rising sense of apathy are colliding, making for a dangerous combination.

Health officials say the growing impatience is a new challenge as they try to slow the latest outbreaks, and it threatens to exacerbate what they fear is turning into a devastating autumn...

Medical treatments for the virus have vastly improved since the spring, and deaths remain lower than the worst peak, but the latest growth in coronavirus infections has left public health officials worried. More than 218,000 people have died in the United States since the start of the pandemic, and daily reports of deaths have stayed relatively consistent in recent weeks with about 700 a day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/17/u...gtype=Homepage

Fasten your seat belts, ladies and gentlemen, and put on your masks... we're flying into fall fatigue, and it's going to get bumpy...
    Last edited by groveChuck; 10-17-2020 at 09:56 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    This is what a lot of people, myself included, said would happen: Eventually people will just say F**K IT, life must go on and whatever happens, happens.

I'm not going to stop wearing a mask in the environments that warrant it, but damnit, I'm tired of wearing one for extended periods of time(work). If I'm shooting, the mask I like physically gets in my way(hits the VF) and if I switch to a low-profile mask, my VF fogs if my nose is covered(fogs with the other mask some, too). If I have sunglasses on, they fog. Every time I have to use my cellphone I have to punch in the passcode AFTER the face detection fails. And EVERYONE is yelling, but still can't understand each other. Not to mention they are really no fun when you are physically exerting yourself(like when pushing a cart full of gear from a parking deck across the street from an NFL stadium, then around the outside of the stadium to the opposite side where the media entrance is, then once inside, back around to the side you started out on outside, because that's where you're live location is. And then do it all in reverse when you leave. After doing the equivalent on ~15 flights of stairs to set and strike gear[my audio guy did almost 30]).

Wearing a mask to run into Target for 10 minutes is no problem, but for a large portion of 10 hours or more, it wears on you.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, wearing masks sucks. But we don't do it for comfort, right? I pull my mask down at work every time I'm not around other people and I try to get a break intermittently to step outside and breathe freely.

I feel like we just need to hold on until the vaccine. There may be one applying for emergency use authorization in late November. There could be lots of doses available by the beginning of next year. We're getting close.

Some of these states are getting overwhelmed at the hospitals right now. Wisconsin is setting up field hospitals. And it could get so much worse in terms of caseloads. That's what you really dont want - for hospitals to get so overwhelmed that people die for lack of treatment.

But yeah, I hate wearing a mask, too.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm with Run & Gun. For a few hours, it's bearable but on some 15 hour days lately, that damn elastic ear things are rubbing the backs of my ears raw.
    I'm really trying to comply with the mask and am wearing it pretty much everywhere but on those long days, it can get pretty damn uncomfortable and distracting.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Yeah, wearing masks sucks. But we don't do it for comfort, right? I pull my mask down at work every time I'm not around other people and I try to get a break intermittently to step outside and breathe freely.

I feel like we just need to hold on until the vaccine. There may be one applying for emergency use authorization in late November. There could be lots of doses available by the beginning of next year. We're getting close.

Some of these states are getting overwhelmed at the hospitals right now. Wisconsin is setting up field hospitals. And it could get so much worse in terms of caseloads. That's what you really dont want - for hospitals to get so overwhelmed that people die for lack of treatment.

But yeah, I hate wearing a mask, too.
    Has anyone seen this video? Thoughts?:

"A likely vaccine will only be able to be shipped through a subset of a subset of a subset of an already strained logistics network to a subset of sites and it’ll need to happen many billions of times."

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I'm with Run & Gun. For a few hours, it's bearable but on some 15 hour days lately, that damn elastic ear things are rubbing the backs of my ears raw...
    What you want to do in this case is to mix the bandana style covering with the surgical mask, so a point of contact isn't constant. When the mask wearing became mandatory in supermarkets, I used to pull on a cloth, that I then wrapped around my head and slid through an opening of the back strap of my baseball cap. It looked a bit like a pony tail but was fairly secure.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I'm with Run & Gun. For a few hours, it's bearable but on some 15 hour days lately, that damn elastic ear things are rubbing the backs of my ears raw.
    I'm really trying to comply with the mask and am wearing it pretty much everywhere but on those long days, it can get pretty damn uncomfortable and distracting.
    Dan you need to bypass the ears!:

9. Collapse Details
    I can't stand masks with ear straps not just because I want to save the ears, but also because it's much easier to pull down a mask with neck/head straps and then quickly pull it back up. With ear straps you have to actually take the mask off and put it somewhere or hold if you want to take break for a quick breather.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Dan you need to bypass the ears!:

And for those who are a bit less crafty there are lots of options on Amazon including at least one genuine VELCRO.

Mask.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-...45&sr=1-4&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mask+exte...f=sr_nr_p_72_1

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 67 of 89 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast