Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Amazon now delivering ridiculously late in evening
    So I have a package arriving tomorrow... by 11pm. ELEVEN PM! Is anyone else getting tired of the constant pushes later in the PM?

First it crept to delivery by 8pm, which is getting late in the day to have some dropping stuff at your door. Then 9pm, then 10pm, and now we are nearing midnight? How is this ok?

1. Many people go to bed between 9-11, and middle of the night package theft is becoming more of a thing, so that sucks.

2. When using frequent delivery service, especially during COVID, it's hard to always know when someone in the home is expecting a package. Hearing or seeing a person unexpectedly outside the door at 11pm will certainly be unsettling to the wife.

3. I often rely on delivery dates to know when a package will come so I can actually use the thing on that day (say a needed camera part or computer part or what have you). It feels disingenuous to claim 2 day delivery if something is arriving so late. Let's say order seeing a delivery on Wednesday - but now that could arrive anywhere from 8a to 11pm? Packages used to arrive during business hours 9am-5pm, so if something is coming at 11pm it really changes the pragmatic definition of "2 day delivery" (or 3, or 5 day - whatever it may be). How is one suppose to plan around using a package that day if it comes after you are in bed? Now if I see something is arriving Wednesday I need to assume I may not be able to use it until Thursday morning (assuming it doesn't get stolen overnight). In that sense, Amazon 2 day prime delivery is essentially now 3 day delivery.

I really do appreciate Amazon's incredible delivery network and the insane speed in which they get packages out. It's truly impressive.

But is there a way to stop Amazon from delivering after 6pm? I cannot find an option anywhere, and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of receiving deliveries so late at night, especially if they contain something expensive or valuable. I'd rather get the package a day later but be able to accurately project its arrival time during normal daytime hours. Especially post COVID when my schedule isn't so wonky (clearly I'm up late now!) and I'm not always home to grab something. There needs to be an option to opt out, I fear Amazon is going to slowly shift to 24-7 deliveries and I'll be seeing stuff show up at 3am.

2. Collapse Details
    If you want quick deliveries then without a time machine the working day has to expand, so amazon's only solution is to deliver earlier and later, but as they need to physically move the stuff, the later deliveries are the only option to next day? I doubt it's practical to ask everyone, so they just get notices on doors saying no deliveries after say 9pm and they don't ring the bell, but your slot could be end of run from depot, so your time will always be later. One of the delivery services here has me on their first out from the depot delivery, so I'm often got out of bed at 7.15 - I assume he starts at 7am. I don't think we can have it 9-5 any longer.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Easiest way to stop Amazon delivering too late is to stop ordering from Amazon.

Might cost a little more and may require some advanced planning, but it helps get some holiday funds in the pockets of other worthwhile companies that treat their employees slightly better.

And, wherever possible, order directly from the manufacturer. Every retailer takes their cut, so the manufacturers wind up getting less from the sale.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I'd be happy if all freight and delivery services in the age of the virus could just be more realistic with WHEN the stuff will arrive. We have had packages via UPS, FedEx and Amazon over the past few months with delays as long as 10 days.
    I can live with 11pm deliveries, it's when one of them says, "Your package is out for delivery" yet it never shows up. Then you check it the next day and it reverts to "unknown delivery date" and nothing happens for a week. That is driving us
    crazy. We ship out live streaming packages with a ton of gear in them and count on getting them back to go do other live streams. When your $15k worth of gear just doesn't show up and is in limbo for a week or two, that's maddening.

If stuff is going to be late, just tell us. But don't tell us "Your stuff is out for delivery", then it doesn't show up. That is driving us crazy this year. Late is understandable. Late but telling us it's coming, then it doesn't, then it get's "lost" for a week
    or two, is unacceptable.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    I liked it when all of my things arrived from two delivery services; UPS and USPS. I know both of my drivers well, we have regular chats. I know about when they will show up. I didn't feel like they were some random person casing my place. Living outside of town, we're a bit more paranoid about random people coming onto our property.

When Amazon first started their own deliveries, we and the neighbors would find deliveries in the ditch, hidden behind bushes, any random place. It has gotten better now with almost all deliveries on the porch.

I'd very much prefer to go back to two-day delivery. In fact, most of the time, the wife and I select scheduled Wednesday delivery and save a buck on each item, which equates to getting free ebooks. Overall, its a bunch of whining about nothing. We have it so good. I need to pinch myself and remind myself how good I have it, living in a terrific country. God bless one and all. Merry Christmas.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Back when I sold big screens in LA, delivery was free, mostly 9-5, and the basic setup and calibration were included.

Once, the truck arrived at a well known music songwriter/producer house at around 10 AM. He told the crew to get the F-mount out of his driveway. But to come back later, in the afternoon, when he was up. It was a large order and so they did.

Another time, the delivery was taking place at a built-from-scratch mansion on Broad Beach in Malibu. The customer was the head of a movie studio. The crew had to deliver the 60" rear projector to the second floor and the set was far too big to wheel out there. They proved it by dropping the beast and cracking/chipping the marble staircase. The head of the studio was too irate to even talk to us. It wasn't my sale but I ended talking several times to his secretary. "Tom is too mad right now". Eventually, Tom found a mobile crane and the set was lifted onto a second story balcony.

7. Collapse Details
    Between COVID and Christmas peak season shipping, be happy you get ANYTHING on or near on time.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    My UPS driver said he has been operating at Christmas-rush rate since March. He is completely exhausted. He wonders how much longer he can hold out.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    My UPS driver said he has been operating at Christmas-rush rate since March. He is completely exhausted. He wonders how much longer he can hold out.
    Yup, ALL of the carriers have been this way since March.

My neighbor is a Letter Carrier for USPS and he never gets home before 8-9pm these days.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

10. Collapse Details
    Interesting, I'm surprised more people aren't taken aback by such. Personally I'm concerned about the practical problems with late deliveries, not entitlement to fast deliveries. I'd happily take a later/slower delivery to not have packages popping on my porch close to midnight (especially when the time is all over the place like Dan said; I have had packages scheduled to arrive by 5pm that suddenly around 4pm to say "by 11pm".)

There has been a continual slow creep to later and later delivery times by Amazon, and it seems they are intentionally shifting the Overton window to the point where in a few years time we'll be receiving packages at 2-3am. Even as is now, deliveries at 11pm raise practical problems. It normalizes people coming to your door at late hours, which can let down peoples guard to having strangers outside their home late and thus embolden thieves as people get used to such. There are already problems with people tailing delivery trucks to snag packages, but it's largely been mitigated by daylight delivery hours. I imagine a rise in the problem of people tailing a route when people are asleep to snag packages. I have a Ring and live in a nice neighbor, and yet I see alerts all the time about package theft. Police don't seem empowered to do anything about it (and a hoodie with head down makes the footage useless anyhow).

Add to that the way Amazon's contractor network is structured and you have a lot of random people operating these deliveries with higher turn overs than companies setup in more traditional ways. I think it opens the door to someone popping in as a contractor, and then pinging a friend as to interesting deliveries on the route where they can snag a package off people's porches. I think if things keep sliding later and later, we are going to end up with a delivery driver being shot because someone is going to be spooked by someone at their home late, rising theft, etc.

Thanks for the perspectives here. Good to think about. Yet still, non-optional deliveries after 8pm seems off to me at this point in time. It's violating in some ways to not have a choice. Perhaps this is the wave of the future, but in that future I picture a homes where there are secure drop points - a digital card scan by the delivery person that puts it into the outdoor locker via security camera. Sure. But we're just not there yet, and it seems in the interim there ought to be some sort of Federal mandate that delivery networks need to allow consumers to opt out of delivery after 6pm or 8pm, with the penalty that the consumer may therefore see their package arrive a day or so later, but during normal hours. For those willing to have packages left late at night (and soon, likely into the wee hours of the morning) in exchange for a quicker delivery... cool... but I don't see that as being a problem free experience.

For companies as well resourced as Amazon, I don't think it is impractical to offer consumers an 8pm-8am blackout from delivery windows and run this through their automated algorithms that construct routes. I also think it is disingenuous to say it's the only option - the other option is more employees, more trucks, but this would cut into margins (or increase prices) as it is more expensive to manage a larger fleet vs work a smaller fleet harder.

But, maybe I'm overblowing the problem and turning into an Old Fogey early, lol. I actually like the idea of 24-7 deliveries in theory, but I'd want it setup in a way mentioned above - essentially a curbside personal package locker with digital authentication and a security camera.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast