Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    In this case, aside from an arbitrarily unacceptable number of potential deaths that could be caused by not wearing a mask, you raise the likelihood of further lockdowns due to uncontrolled spread.
    Or just the opposite.

If more refused to mask and refused to follow mandates then governments would abandon the mandates and our livelihoods would no longer be impeded by mandates.

It was public opposition that caused San Francisco to finally drop the mask mandate for good. There was no increase in cases following the end of masking but instead a decline.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Or just the opposite.

If more refused to mask and refused to follow mandates then governments would abandon the mandates and our livelihoods would no longer be impeded by mandates.
    I believe that the outbreaks themselves are inhibiting business.

I can pull the charts on restaurant reservations - they took a nosedive in states with increasing outbreaks before any mandates forced closures.

My wife grills me on the safety precautions of every job I take - and this is in a state with a low daily case count and a positivity rate below 1%.

Look at the union demands for safety in auto plants or for teachers in schools.

Or at movie theaters. Or at the weddings I've shot recently where waiters have delivered food at the end of long-handled wooden platters. They're not doing that to conform to government mandates but to boost customer comfort.

Even in states with anti-mask sentiment and early reopenings, they've had to backtrack and increase restrictions.

It's for the same reason the chamber of commerce came out in favor of masks - because they understand that masks are good for tamping down spread, and spread is bad for the economy.

Even if it were "just the flu" - wouldn't that take a chunk out of the economy if we all got sick at once, some of us for months?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post

It was public opposition that caused San Francisco to finally drop the mask mandate for good. There was no increase in cases following the end of masking but instead a decline.
    Are you referencing the 1918 influenza pandemic?

4. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Latest CDC stats - looks like you guys doing good.

2020-09-01 06.50.50 pjmedia.com af1d98efaad2.jpg
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

5. Collapse Details
    We are doing better, but the way that chart drops off at the end seems wrong. Maybe it's because it's provisional.

This is the chart from the NYT, the black line is the 7-day rolling average of deaths in the US:

Screenshot_20200901-041317_Chrome.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    When you is ded you is ded!

I think of more interest to those who have contracted Covid-19 and who have now survived the ordeal is what are their future health prospects and ongoing prognosis. Covid Long Haulers being the term being used for may recoverees who are now experiencing ongoing health issues. Below is short list of some of the problems being encountered. It all adds cost to the ongoing health care and maintenance of the populace.

Chris Young

From the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20490351

Organ damage caused by COVID-19

Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:

Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.

Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.

Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

8. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    When you is ded you is ded!

I think of more interest to those who have contracted Covid-19 and who have now survived the ordeal is what are their future health prospects and ongoing prognosis. Covid Long Haulers being the term being used for may recoverees who are now experiencing ongoing health issues. Below is short list of some of the problems being encountered. It all adds cost to the ongoing health care and maintenance of the populace.

I had it in early March for 3 weeks - just like a really bad flu.
    In early May, it came back. Just couldn't get air in my lungs anymore, not a pleasant situation, to say the least - ambulance had to take me to the hospital - but it was just one night.
    After that it was gone, no issues since than. Looks like my immune system isn't that bad after all - at least I don't need any medications. Fingers crossed.
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

9. Collapse Details
    That is good to hear! Trust it keeps on trucking that way. Stay safe, distant and well.

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    Does anyone here read Lloyd Chambers of diglloyd? Landscape photographer. Apparently he's having some long-term issues, probably due to covid but never diagnosed. He took serious precautions to avoid contracting it although he also thought the situation was overhyped.

"Due to a continuing on/off health problem which has greatly impaired my energy level (apparently a continuing issue from my April situation), I am behind schedule on getting onto the Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM and the Sigma FE 85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art."

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2020/20200...1_4_DG_DN.html

Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast