Thread: To UV or not UV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Never had a filter in front of my primes, except extra ND, but all of my zooms have them on by default. Maybe because by the very nature of the work generally being done with the zooms, it’s a lot less controlled than the work being done when I’m using primes. Now, do the filters come off, if need be? Yes. But I’d say 9/10 times you’re never going to notice the filter on there in the first place.
    10/10 times. With barely anyone ever, ever noticing any differences (especially if you use a high-quality UV or clear filter) and online compression in general, it would be very foolish not to have a filter over an expensive lens.

Hollywood has stacked 2-3-4 filters in front of their $50K lenses on their 2K-ish resolution cameras for a decade and no one blinked.

A UV filter on your modern 4K-6K-8K camera in front of a photography lens will be OKAY.

2. Collapse Details
    Pretty much the only time one will need to come off for me is if it's gotten dirty and I'm shooting into something bright and stopped down for some purposeful flare, like the sun for scenics or the like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12