Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Broadcasting from home during Coronavirus
    Hi, These days a lot of the networks are having their hosts broadcast from home. How are they doing that in the hosts home? Are they using a crew? If not what equipment? I have several clients that would like to start broadcasting from home with a professional look.

Thanks for any insights! James
    All the best, James

Dynamic Videos, Inc.

2. Collapse Details
    Most that I have seen appear to be “FaceTime” level. At least for “news”. I haven’t seen Conan or Ellen, who both are supposed to be doing the same, now.

3. Collapse Details
    Facetime, Skype, Zoom etc. A long way from professional-looking or sounding.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Facetime, Skype, Zoom etc. A long way from professional-looking or sounding.
    So a quick story; My wife is an LPC and is now forced to do tele-medicine using one of the HIPPA certified streaming services. I went to great effort last week to put together a "set" for her to "broadcast" from, with a good camera, nice professional lighting, a boom mike and all the trimmings for her to use. As I went to get her, I discovered she had locked away in a back bedroom and had already started a session using NOTHING I had arranged. After the session finished, I rushed in to see what she had done... of course, worse case! Laptop on the bed, the camera looking up her nose into a corner of the room, blinding bright window filling half the frame and reducing her face to a dark smear. "Why didn't you use my stuff?" I asked. "Too hard to use, and what I did looks okay... good as the Tonight Show."

I'm somewhat concerned that this webcam "look" will survive long after the current crisis passes and be yet another tool to reduce crew and lower the general skill set on a production. Now who knows how many sacrificial techs are standing behind Jimmy on the Tonight Show to make the "casual webcam" look happen, but I see it as a way for future producers to cut all sorts of corners. How quickly the rules are changing... a month ago the 15fps standard def webcam was reserved for a battlefield remote, or extreme conditions, now every talking head is from their home, the major shows are using it either for real or faking the look to drive home that they care and are trying to be socially responsible.
    Jim Arthurs

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
    I'm somewhat concerned that this webcam "look" will survive long after the current crisis passes and be yet another tool to reduce crew and lower the general skill set on a production.
    Too likely. And too scary.

I haven't seen many of the shows, but Colbert looks pretty good (much better and sharper on air and online than the grab) and great connection. Shot by his (college age?) son, with his younger son on the phone with the director. And I'm sure lit by his crew.

Colbert.jpg

Naso, FTW!!!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    Too likely. And too scary.

I haven't seen many of the shows, but Colbert looks pretty good (much better and sharper on air and online than the grab) and great connection. Shot by his (college age?) son, with his younger son on the phone with the director. And I'm sure lit by his crew.

Colbert.jpg

Naso, FTW!!!
    That's a weird framing on Colbert. And it looks like they may have tried to perfectly center his head. Could be worse though.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    That's a weird framing on Colbert. And it looks like they may have tried to perfectly center his head. Could be worse though.
    Probably for center frame vertical for IGTV, etc.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Cobert's signal looks good because there's a Sat Truck in his front yard (he said yesterday, unless it's a joke).

Yes, the framing is horrific. I think the problem starts with framing for the monitor, but then trying to include the desk, too. They had a handheld profile shot a few days ago, and Colbert was sitting in what appeared to be a low steel chair or stool. He should be higher, most definitely.

Colbert, Colvid, Colpay...

9. Collapse Details
    I saw Bill Maher’s show the other night, shot by an iPhone. It looked even worse than you think.

10. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by mothmachine View Post
    I saw Bill Maher’s show the other night, shot by an iPhone. It looked even worse than you think.
    I saw the same thing. But what I don't get is why it was as bad as it was - I've seen similar stuff done on the iPhone that was leagues better (heck, Soderbergh shot full on features on iPhones years ago!). I can only conclude that somehow it was Bill Maher himself that operated the iPhone and he's just abysmal at it - either there was nobody to help him, or if someone technical was helping him remotely, it didn't work out too well. I don't get it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast