1. Collapse Details
    4K Monitor recommendaion? basic points
    Hello, I am building a PC for 4k editing and basic colouring. I am using a rtx 2060 super video card, it supports 10 bit. I am looking for a monitor around 500 euros. I am looking at different and these questions are coming to mind

-10 bit vs 8 bit + FRC. Should I go for 10 bit? am I going to note the difference?

-Should I look for a monitor with DCI-P3 option? At this price, monitors with DCI-P3 only cover 75% of this gamut and are 8 bit + FRC

Most monitors at this price range are sRGB 100% and Abobe RGB 70%.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maltess2 View Post
    Hello, I am building a PC for 4k editing and basic colouring. I am using a rtx 2060 super video card, it supports 10 bit. I am looking for a monitor around 500 euros. I am looking at different and these questions are coming to mind

-10 bit vs 8 bit + FRC. Should I go for 10 bit? am I going to note the difference?

-Should I look for a monitor with DCI-P3 option? At this price, monitors with DCI-P3 only cover 75% of this gamut and are 8 bit + FRC

Most monitors at this price range are sRGB 100% and Abobe RGB 70%.
    Not sure there are any €500 10bit monitors.

8bit+FRC may be your only option in that price range.

Also, depends on how you are using it. If you are grading in Davinci, you may only have 8bit. Photoshop supports 10bit, but i am unaware of other programs that might.

We are inbetween right now. Even though companies are using the term “10bit” to make sales, very few affordable solutions are able to deliver a true 10bit pipeline.

In your price range, i almost say forget about it, and just find a nice 8bit+FRC monitor. A good 8bit monitor is still better than what most people are seeing these days. Then, make sure you can calibrate it.

3. Collapse Details
    Hello, thanks, I fond this one: Philips 272P7VPTKEB, its problably the only 10 bit monitor under 500.

Is the 10 bit alone more important than DCI P3 95% coverage with 8 bit + FRC?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maltess2 View Post
    Hello, thanks, I fond this one: Philips 272P7VPTKEB, its problably the only 10 bit monitor under 500.

Is the 10 bit alone more important than DCI P3 95% coverage with 8 bit + FRC?
    What research allows you to believe the Philips is truly 10bit?

Benq states they have "10bit panels", but are actually 8bit+FRC. That is pretty crazy, right? They aren't even just saying "monitor" or "display", which are tricky words, they are claiming that the PANEL itself is 10bit.

They write that because 8bit+FRC can adequately simulate 10bit, they claim it really is "10bit". You like that?

In truth, even if you get a 10bit monitor given to you, chances are something in your system or chain will prevent you from ever actually getting 10bit.

Judge the monitor by uniformity and color accuracy before choosing between 8bitFRC and 10bit. Bad uniformity in brightness and color with kill you daily. But you may never know if your monitor or signal is really giving you 10bit.
    Last edited by James0b57; 04-06-2020 at 03:21 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Also, unless you have a specific 10bit workflow, you might not even see 10bits.

For example, if you grade in Davinci Resolve, and you are just using the system, you are only getting 8bits, because the Davinci Resolve GUI only runs in 8bit. If you want 10bit, you have to send it through a module, like Ultrastudio.

However, I am using Ultrastudio, but my "10bit" monitor is not recognizing the signal from Ultrastudio. So, even if you get all the right pieces, the components may not handshake or be compatible.

Also, your "10bit monitor" may have HDMI2.0, but that doesn't mean the monitor will utilize 10bit, as it may reserve the 10bit process for only one of its inputs, such as DisplayPort.

Building 10bit on a budget is not straight forward.
    Last edited by James0b57; 04-06-2020 at 04:01 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    ok, thanks a lot. The Philips says 10 bit in the specs in comparison to other rmonitors at that price range, it says 8 bit + FRC for the Benq: https://www.displayspecifications.co...ison/480a93237

Thanks for your advice, I will look for test uniformity etc.

Best regards

7. Collapse Details
    But that website says the BenQ SW270C is 10bit, but it is really 8bit. That website doesn’t exactly research every monitor.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fee319a8