Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    As Puredrifting stated, "the MKH-50 is a great mic" but that doesn't matter if you cannot get it close to the source, especially in a 'live' room.

2. Collapse Details
    It all depends on the framing of the video, though. If it's a wide angle or medium shot, then the lav mic will be closer to the talent. But if it's a close up, a property placed boom mic should sound better, and because most of the environment is out of view of the camera, you can place blankets everywhere.

Your first decision is to determine what you want the shot to look like, and then figure out how to mic it properly.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Furnis are just padded moving blankets. They're pretty cheap and really can help take the edge off reflection. I always lav and boom which gives me the option to mix tracks and provides a backup. But my boom track almost always sounds better than my lavs unless it's a really wide shot and the boom mic can't be placed at a reasonable distance. That Tascam stand is too short to be useful. If you're looking for something simple and easy to set up for a boom, try an Avenger or Manfrotto combi stand. I think the Manfrotto one is called the 420. I have the Baby Combi Avenger version and it's convenient to use. The boom arm is built in and collapses inside. You'll also need a shock mount and a spigot adapter. The only negatives is that combi stands have a pretty wide stance so can be tricky in small spaces. Also, the arm is only around 7 feet long and may not be long enough for some shots.

Avenger stand.jpg
    Last edited by DNN; 04-06-2020 at 02:34 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    How would you go about hanging up sound blankets if there isn't any walls nearby to attach it to? I've seen videos where people have used C-stands with a rod going across the top to then hang the blanket over. Seems like i'd need a lot of c-stands if I do that. Two main areas of concern will be behind the camera (where there are a row of windows) and directly behind the talent (there's a small wall and a bigger space behind and to the right that I want to 'seal' off as much as possible with blankets).

5. Collapse Details
    FWIW I purchased moving blankets along with a tarp Grommet kit from Harborfreight.
    That way you can hang then using Trick Line or similar as long as there is something to tie them to.
    Of course I also have a couple dozen C-Stands in my Sprinter van.
    David W. Jones

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, use a c-stand with an arm and background clamps, which you can get cheaply at Home Depot. For interviews, I'll seldom use more than three or four c-stands with furni's on the floor. Probably nothing behind the interviewee if that's in frame. You can get used c-stands pretty cheaply with arms and grip heads. I use Matthews and Avenger grip gear but also have a few beat to hell Norms and American c-stands that I inherited from a friend when starting out. Kupo and Impact are cheaper, though I've not had much luck with Kupo stuff. Impact actually make their own combi boom stand but that thing is really flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by seanadl View Post
    How would you go about hanging up sound blankets if there isn't any walls nearby to attach it to? I've seen videos where people have used C-stands with a rod going across the top to then hang the blanket over. Seems like i'd need a lot of c-stands if I do that. Two main areas of concern will be behind the camera (where there are a row of windows) and directly behind the talent (there's a small wall and a bigger space behind and to the right that I want to 'seal' off as much as possible with blankets).

7. Collapse Details
    I love to read and write and when my mind is filled I speak about my views with my students and people at large. Oral communication is the best way to communicate your knowledge and when you are addressing the large gathering, you need a good quality mic. Even doing essay writing from last five years, I cannot consider written communication effective.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    A properly placed overhead Sennheiser MKH50 on a boom should sound miles better than pretty much any lav mic, and there's no issues with clothes rustling against the mic.

As for placing sound blankets, I would set up the video shot the way you like it and then put blankets everywhere else that's not in the shot (including the floor).
    100% agree with this. Ignore the suggestions about using a cardioid instead. A well placed MKH50 is a solid choice here.

And just put up the "sound blankets" (moving blankets) in places that are out of view and don't obstruct the lighting

Quote Originally Posted by seanadl View Post

Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I generally use an MKH50 for indoors. But in cases where you're dealing with low ceilings with high reflectivity, a cardioid on a boom is a better choice if you have access to one. Far less rearward pickup. Also, on a fixed boom, cardioids have a wider pattern so has a better chance of keeping speakers on axis if the speaker moves around a lot in his or her chair. Even better if you've got the mic in closer because of how small the room is. Or if you need to capture two people and only have a single mic, a cardioid would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    100% agree with this. Ignore the suggestions about using a cardioid instead. A well placed MKH50 is a solid choice here.

And just put up the "sound blankets" (moving blankets) in places that are out of view and don't obstruct the lighting

Last edited by DNN; 05-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Hi guys,
    Just a quick update - I've made a couple of test videos to see how the mic sounds. Posted in this thread here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...mic-test-MKH50

Would be great to get some feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12