Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    They can say no - but it's rare unless you want to use the music of a vegan in an advert for burgers. Sometimes it's cheap, sometimes mega expensive - you just need to ask.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by theillestmc12 View Post
    Am i allowed to write XYZ was drinking coke or eating Chex Mix?
    Quote Originally Posted by theillestmc12 View Post
    I was hoping to use "Piano Man" in the scrip by Billy Joel
    Since this is just the script, I don't think merely writing the names down infringes anything. If it gets made, then they can decide what to do.

This thread took a turn. At first I thought it was about photographing name-brand products. But then it was about music. Do you mean playing the music (as is the usual question) or something else, like showing the CD or a character mentioning that they like Billy Joel? If your question was about music, what's with the Chex Mix?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Since this is just the script, I don't think merely writing the names down infringes anything. If it gets made, then they can decide what to do.
    I an not a lawyer etc... However I would agree. The chances of a script remaining unchanged and the film unedited are very slim to zero. The character may not drink a soft drink let alone any cola, if indeed that scene survives the re-write or the video editing.

Also I think Coca Cola would prefer your character drank "coke" to ordering a "pepsi" (or Fanta or....) or eating at a "well known restaurant chain" unless the character is so hideously unredeemable that they don't want to be associated.

Music seems to be different. Not least because Youtube will find almost any use of any music. That said there is a lot of royalty free/ film library music that is "close enough" you can use if you are on a shoestring. I am doing a video with a similar style introduction to a well known TV series of the 70's and I found a pice of royalty free music that is similar. So that when used with the similar titles people automatically think it is the original.

OTOH should a BIG Name pick up your script I am sure they could get the Big Name Music if they wanted... and a palate of free coke for the production.

4. Collapse Details
    Don't forget that product placement is pretty common - so you want coke, but go to Pepsi - you might get a few quid, BUT you also get permission! Some like Apple seem very tricky to enthuse - so most phones end up being android not iPhones.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    It's pointless to put things in that may have to be taken out or jeopardize your chances of being recognized. Sure, you can write that a Billy Joel song is playing. Then you win the award, and Billy Joel's agent hears about it and then he wants to make trouble.

From the SF Indie Fest Screenplay Competition rules:

BY ENTERING THE CONTEST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless the festival, its partners, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, screenplay readers, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry,

6. Collapse Details
    AGENT: "Billy, get this. Some kid named theillestmc12 won an indie script contest, and his script mentions your name."
    BILLY: "Activate lawyers! Sue the kid into oblivion."

Just shoot me now.

7. Collapse Details
    That's right. No one is going to sue someone that has no money (you don't have money do you?). The point is to save yourself from problems up front. There's two ways to do that; eliminate potential risk or better yet, instead of getting opinions from people you don't know, contact festival runners and find out what they have to say about it.

8. Collapse Details
    Hey guys thanks so much. I took everyones advise and took out names that i could be sued for. Especially nowadays, people sue over anything. Another question though. When submitting to film festivals do you all submit shooting scripts vs screen play?The film fest im looking at doesnt specify at all. I tried looking at previous winners but can't find a place to download. I know shooting scripts are different than screenplay in a way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12