1. Collapse Details
    CX350: Do you own one or are thinking of buying one? If so read this
    The reason I titled the post this way is that I have some items for sale specific to the CX350 and I wanted to offer them to you rather than the entire forum or put them on Ebay and Craigslist. As some of you know I bought a CX350 in December but even though it is a great camera, due to a B&H major screw up, I am now cameraless and I have decided to fully retire. To read about the issue with B&H so it won’t happen to you some day the explanation is below.

• LARGE BATTERY: Brand New Panasonic AG-VBR89G MAH Battery, NEVER USED, just charged once. Bought new in 12/20 for $249, selling firm at $200.

• ON CAMERA MIC: Panasonic Super Directional Phantom Powered mic PAAGMC200G with windscreen, bought new 12/2 for $325 + $35 windscreen, selling both at firm price for $290. NEVER USED.

• SANDISK Extreme Pro UHS-LL 128 GB SD-300R Bought new 12/20 for $200, selling firm at $150. NEVER USED. I formatted it once. I have no need for such a large fast card.

• ZACUTO'S CX350 Z-FINDER, bought used, has several diopter lenses with it for adjusting to your eye. I found it necessary if I was to shoot outdoors in bright sun while handheld.

New it would be $450, selling firm at $250.

https://store.zacuto.com/panasonic-cx350-z-finder/

• LIBEC ZOOM CONTROLLER: the ZC-LP, bought new, NEVER USED, bought for $80, selling for $45 firm. Despite the controversy in some threads here, I found this to be perfectly smooth with the two CX350s I had.

• CLEAR FILTER: B&W XS PRO 67mm: This optically pure filter was to be used to protect my front element from blowing sand, filming welding, etc. Bought $45, sell firm at $30. NEVER USED.

Well, that’s it. If you want to buy anything please email me at: ned (AT) nedmiller.com. Postage is extra but most everything is around $10 I guess.

HERE’S HOW B&H REALLY SCREWED ME. KEEP THIS IN MIND FOR FUTURE: I was looking for a new camera that would have a really wide fixed zoom, shoot 4K, be under $5000 and after a lot of research I settled on this fantastic little camera. In December B&H was running a special of two years financing at no interest plus NO TAXES ($400 savings) so I bought one. After a lot of testing around the house I discovered the audio channel switch was defective and after many calls to Panasonic’s tech support they confirmed my diagnosis and said I could send it into them (I had bought the extended 3 year warranty from B&H called SquareTrade). However, Panasonic couldn’t do a fast turn around and suggested I return it for an even swap with a new one at B&H.

B&H said to send it in and they will send me a new one immediately, which I did. They sent the replacement and as I reset the menus I was very happy and practicing around the house with it, learning its nuances. Quite impressed. Had my editor test the two codecs I planned to use. And then…I got a statement from their credit card company called PayBoo, not Synchrony which the 1st camera was on, and I was to pay my first payment at 29% interest! PLUS THEY CHARGED ME THE $422 OF TAXES!!! So I blew a gasket, ended up talking to the head of customer service after he listened to the recorded conversations I had with the salesmen, and he said although the salesman made a mistake by closing out my account and starting a new one with the 29% high interest credit card, there was nothing he could do, his hands are tied. It’s between the bank and me or I could return the camera, which I did.

Just remember, even though they tape the conversations it doesn’t mean anything. And that’s why I no longer have a CX350 and need to sell all accessories related to it.

Thanks,

Ned
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedcam; 03-26-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com

2. Collapse Details
    Seems strange they would change the terms on a return-replacement. If they got jammed up with the bank, they could have taken #2 back and then sold you yet another one at the right price. But sometimes it is hard to move the monolith. Like most everyone, I have purchased a lot of gear at BH and for mail-order, they have done well overall for me with the exception of how their shipment get packed. They worked with me pretty well on a couple of used gear purchases which were not quite as advertised and or offered a full refund including shipping.

As far as PayBoo, those kind of deals are always scams. It sounds great when you first hear it; hey I live in WA state where we have a stiff sales tax. Or whatever promo du jour they are pedling at the moment, high interest ensues unless you can complete your deal in 30 days. That is what they are betting on and some actuarial in a rubber room figured out how to make money on that bet. It isn't so much different than gambling or insurance odds. The house always wins. Sorry you got lassoed into that badness.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Grantly,

It was explained to me like this: The salesman told me to return the 1st camera and he would "swap it out" for a brand new one and I would get it in a matter of a couple of days. What he DIDN'T tell me was that he would have to close out the account it was on, the one with the great deal of 2 years same as cash and no charge for $422 of taxes, and then he would put it on an old PayBoo credit card account I have there which is at 29% nowadays. This was all recorded and the sales manager listened to it. Had I known he would have to close out the great deal and send the 2nd camera back on this horrible deal, I would have sent it into Panasonic and waited the extra couple of weeks. The sales manager said there was no way they could get me back on the first deal which expired at New Years so if I didn't want to pay the $422 in taxes and reach into my pocket and immediately pay the $3600 I should return the camera for a total refund since the bank wasn't going to change anything.

I have bought a lot of gear over the years from B&H, their annual catalog was always a fixture in my bathroom for the last 30 years. The main problem I have had with them is that when I have a rep on the phone they'll tell me something is in stock, I pull the trigger, and then it needs to be on back order, I call to complain and the explanation is always the same: "It showed it was in stock when I looked at inventory." Heard that too many times to believe it.

After all the above, I decided to get an estimate from Abel, I have bought cameras from them before, they don't have the same great deals as B&H, and I held onto the accessories listed for sale above, thinking I might get another CX350 in later January when this virus problem came up and I predicted (correctly) that everything would get cancelled. I'm 90% retired, wanted to shoot a couple days a month for pocket money but I will limp along doing mainly charity videos with my HPX300 & C100.

So my loss is your gain if anyone wants to buy those items. If I don't sell them in a couple of weeks I'll sell them online elsewhere.

Best regards,

Ned
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com