Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Gloves and Masks the new normal?
    The last Production I worked on(an advertisement shot on super 16mm) we we’re wearing gloves, masks...now of course everything has shut down...till further notice

Will gloves, masks , sanitizer ..be the new normal for the future?

And what type of work... sports..weddings..etc.. how will it effect shooting?

Stay safe
    Last edited by niki; 03-25-2020 at 08:06 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    I think it is safe to assume that the wedding season and the spring and summer sports season is toast this year. Personally, I am hoping that everybody agrees to wear a mask in public so that we can go back to work. I'm not sure why we would wear gloves unless they were work gloves. As long as we wash our hands before touching our food or faces, we should be fine. Is there any indication that a glove isn't going to spread the disease to surfaces just as easily as a hand?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    Is there any indication that a glove isn't going to spread the disease to surfaces just as easily as a hand?
    Yes, same principle as wearing a condom.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post
    Yes, same principle as wearing a condom.
    Bad analogy. You don’t ejaculate anything from your hands that can carry the virus, and you can only ingest the virus through your mouth or nose. So as cpreston said, the gloves offer no greater protection than just washing your hands, and IMHO are potentially more risky than not, because of the false sense of security they may offer.

Jason
    ----------------
    Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
    Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
    Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
    Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    I think it is safe to assume that the wedding season and the spring and summer sports season is toast this year. Personally, I am hoping that everybody agrees to wear a mask in public so that we can go back to work. I'm not sure why we would wear gloves unless they were work gloves. As long as we wash our hands before touching our food or faces, we should be fine. Is there any indication that a glove isn't going to spread the disease to surfaces just as easily as a hand?
    I think you will find that it is toast until the end of the year.
    Masks are not that effective though better than noting.

Gloves do help a lot if used correctly. Mainly it simply means you have to use an alcohol wash on your hands less often.
    Repeated alcohol washed are not that good for skin.

However if you have any small cuts or abrasions that is a way for infection to get in if you are not wearing gloves.

I note paramedics wear gloves before they reach for a face mask.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrooks View Post
    Bad analogy. You don’t ejaculate anything from your hands that can carry the virus, and you can only ingest the virus through your mouth or nose. So as cpreston said, the gloves offer no greater protection than just washing your hands, and IMHO are potentially more risky than not, because of the false sense of security they may offer.

Jason
    A couple things:

1. Condoms do not just provide protection against ejaculate, they stop viral cells from transferring. Look up "viral shedding" / "asymptomatic viral shedding".

2. You absolutely cannot only get the virus through mouth or nose. Microbes do not differentiate between access points. Mouth and nose happen to be easy entry but eyes, cuts anywhere on the body, etc. are all fair game.

3. As of right now it isn't known that Covid's transmission vectors are limited to droplets from sneezes/coughs (in fact they're actively finding it in other fluids), so based on existing virus knowledge it's entirely possible someone can secrete from hands onto a surface. A glove will stop any of those cells on the hand from transmitting to a surface, just like a condom does.

4. Will also do the reverse -- if you pick up some cells with a glove, it can keep them from your skin (if you have an open cut/sore, can get into your bloodstream, etc.) It provides a physical barrier.

There's a reason every medical professional uses them... (If they have them.)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Regarding gloves, or even face masks, most of it is just theater. We aren't working in an operating room and at risk of infecting a patient. The mask and gloves are for protecting other people. and only work if you don't touch anything after putting them on. Opinions vary, but here is one saying that gloves aren't actually better than washing your hands. https://www.today.com/health/can-glo...lution-t175668

Basically, I don't really care what type of rules they put together to get us back to work. If they insist that we all have to remain six feet from each other, that is fine. That is my preferred working distance with a camera from a person, anyway. It also gives me a reason not to lav a person when handling audio. If we all have to get one of those temperature guns pointed at our heads when we enter a building, that's fine. I would even put up with one of those tracking apps. We are just going to have to accept to go through some hoops to get any gigs in the future.

8. Collapse Details
    My problem with the above article is the opinion is pretty much based on the assumption that the vast majority of people are so ignorant as to make wearing gloves more harmful than helpful, and not actual science. Maybe that is a valid assumption, sad if so. Purely speaking from a scientific "this is how viruses get inside your body" standpoint, though... barrier > no barrier, every time.

9. Collapse Details
    Well I think we can all agree that a hazmat suit with a dedicated oxygen tank would make one basically immune to the virus. And if the virus was as contagious and deadly as the bubonic plague, more people would more seriously consider that route whenever leaving home. As it is, even for people who can afford such measures, social norms and the amount of risk involved are not to that level of avoidance.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I did a couple of films for a hospital last year and they thought it would be a great idea to give me a few sets of operation kits for my kids to play with. It was clothes, masks and other protective equipment. I'm glad I've kept them but so far I don't see the need for it. Avoiding people in general and washing hands as often as I can is what I do.

The other day I saw an over weight woman smoking at a parking lot. A few minutes she went into a store wearing a mask. I thought it to be ironic that she was smoking bringing her health down and then trying to keep safe with a mask. Then again smokers are stupid to begin with and the fact that corona hit smokers harder makes it even more stupid to continue smoking.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast