Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Green and Blue Lines when shooting Wide Open
    Today I filmed some stuff on my recently purchased F35 and came across these weird blue and green lines while shooting with the lens wide open. The sun was hitting the lens while the lens was wide open causing these weird artifacts but on my previous F35 this never occurred. Once I stopped down the lens, the artifacts went away.
    Just got the camera from ebay a few days ago. Should I be returning this camera or is there something minor I can do to remove/fix this? Any suggestions?

Here are a couple clips showing the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrT7...ature=youtu.be

2. Collapse Details
    Looks like vertical smear, but Iíve never seen a normally functioning camera do that. But maybe someone with experience specifically with the 35 will weigh-in.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Looks like vertical smear, but I’ve never seen a normally functioning camera do that. But maybe someone with experience specifically with the 35 will weigh-in.
    Yea it’s weird because the camera functioned well when the lens was not wide open. Not sure what to do at this point but I’m most likely returning it since it could get worst potentially. It sucks because I really would love to keep it.

4. Collapse Details
    It almost looks like something might be wrong with the cabling that attaches the optical block to the rest of the camera but I honestly dont know. Something tells me its a bad ribbon cable maybe? You should see if you can talk with your seller and get a partial refund for repairs and then keep the camera, that way both parties win, you can keep it and have money to fix it and the guy still has somewhat of a sale.
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by torresfilms View Post
    Yea it’s weird because the camera functioned well when the lens was not wide open. Not sure what to do at this point but I’m most likely returning it since it could get worst potentially. It sucks because I really would love to keep it.
    I don't think the lens being wide open is in itself the problem. The chip is being "overloaded", because it looks like the anomaly is happening when the sun was directly down the barrel, but I've never seen that exact manifestation of that. Just for sh**s & giggles, try the same thing with the lens wide open, but with a couple of stops of ND(2-4) in place to drop exposure and see if it still happens. I'm wagering it won't(doesn't mean there isn't still a problem, but takes the wide open lens out).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    It almost looks like something might be wrong with the cabling that attaches the optical block to the rest of the camera but I honestly dont know. Something tells me its a bad ribbon cable maybe? You should see if you can talk with your seller and get a partial refund for repairs and then keep the camera, that way both parties win, you can keep it and have money to fix it and the guy still has somewhat of a sale.
    Why say this? Extremely Unlikely. I'm not saying it's certainly not damage in the camera, but this should be the last explanation not the first.

I'm with Run and Gun, it's not about being wide open, it's about massively overexposing the light to the sensor. I can't seem to replicate it exactly with my camera. I'm on terrible internet but I am uploading a clip to youtube I will share.

Can you post more of the effect with other lens, other light sources? Try a flashlight once you see my clip.

Firmware updated? Don't trust the previous owner to have done it right, there are 3 steps you have to do. Read the directions fully and check after it has run that the version display is correct.

Cine-ei mode? Custom mode has a lot of little settings that could cause strange clipping. Try turning extended on and off.

7. Collapse Details
    This is almost most definitely some strange anomaly with light hitting the sensor. Seen this in all kinds of forms throughout my life, but not quite as profound as in this case.

As mentioned above, using ND and other light sources like a flashlight would be great troubleshooting.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    Why say this? Extremely Unlikely. I'm not saying it's certainly not damage in the camera, but this should be the last explanation not the first.

I'm with Run and Gun, it's not about being wide open, it's about massively overexposing the light to the sensor. I can't seem to replicate it exactly with my camera. I'm on terrible internet but I am uploading a clip to youtube I will share.

Can you post more of the effect with other lens, other light sources? Try a flashlight once you see my clip.

Firmware updated? Don't trust the previous owner to have done it right, there are 3 steps you have to do. Read the directions fully and check after it has run that the version display is correct.

Cine-ei mode? Custom mode has a lot of little settings that could cause strange clipping. Try turning extended on and off.
    It was just my thought as ive had things look similar due to the ribbon cable not being secured or scratched... but that was in an F900 so what do i know...

..none the less, i stand firm on him trying to recover part of his money and not giving up on the camera...
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

9. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I have seen this before, not sure what it's called but it can happen with ccd chips. It looks almost like a vertical anamorphic streak. I have an old Sony point and shoot with a ccd that does this easily. Never saw it with my F35 or 9000PL but it would be relayed to overloading the sensor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast