1. Collapse Details
    Canon C100 Live Stream Audio Question
    Hi,

I'm setting up a live stream via YouTube, using a C100 Mk ii and two mics. For the video, I'm using a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder. It takes an HDMI signal from the camera and sends a Thunderbolt stream into an iMac.

Here's my Q: Is it better to run the audio through the C100/Blackmagic or through a separate audio interface like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b_c_audio.html

My question has to do with both the quality of the audio and also (more importantly) synching the video and audio streams.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gentaylor View Post
    Hi,

I'm setting up a live stream via YouTube, using a C100 Mk ii and two mics. For the video, I'm using a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder. It takes an HDMI signal from the camera and sends a Thunderbolt stream into an iMac.

Here's my Q: Is it better to run the audio through the C100/Blackmagic or through a separate audio interface like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b_c_audio.html

My question has to do with both the quality of the audio and also (more importantly) synching the video and audio streams.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    We always run a Mackie analog mixer output into Ch1 of the A camera, assuring sync. Camera is hooked up to Live Stream Studio via SDI.
    Latency is a huge factor with streaming and anything you can do to run your audio into your
    camera will make things easier as everything begins in sync. Setting up picture delays to match audio latency or vice versa is a PITA.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Love the Ultrastudio mini recorder; itís a fine piece of gear for HDMI/SDI capture on a Thunderbolt 2 Mac. Use it all the time, and will probably give it a workout as my college responds to the pandemic with remote instruction.

Puredrifting has it right; HDMI audio insertion at the camera is the only approach that makes sync easy and straightforward. The thing is, HDMI typically runs around 15 frames behind live. SDI, depending on the camera, should be running less than a frame behind. Getting the audio in pre-HDMI-encode is essential, and can make a meaningful difference for SDI as well.

PD mentions a Mackie analog mixer. You have options here, including most mixers, or, mics straight into the camera. A mixer typically gives you better monitoring, and may or may not improve quality in micro amounts. Depends on who is doing the mixing, among other things. Nothing wrong with either approach.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post

PD mentions a Mackie analog mixer. You have options here, including most mixers, or, mics straight into the camera. A mixer typically gives you better monitoring, and may or may not improve quality in micro amounts. Depends on who is doing the mixing, among other things. Nothing wrong with either approach.
    I wouldn't include a digital mixer anywhere in the chain if you can avoid it. We have an 18 channel Behriger with Smart Mixing that comes in handy for panel shoots with multiple mics open and it introduces at least a few frames of latency in comparison. Then we have to offset picture.
    Luckily our engineer knows all of this gear really well and can figure this stuff out but it's still a pain. I recommend mics into camera or analog mixer output into camera.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    I've done livestreaming both ways. I would suggest using the camera audio as your continuous audio stream rather than the usb interface. My reason is that some Macs and versions of MacOS have problems with usb audio interfaces due to clock interface problems. The USB interface might sound fine at the beginning, but you will hear more and more distortion in the audio and it can lead to a kernal panic. I would suggest feeding the audio into your camera through a powered mixer, though.