Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I watched the virgin run of a 70mm print of the 1989 restoration of Lawrence of Arabia in a full-sized private theater. It was a marvelous experience. It was a pinch-me moment.
    Damn! Sounds amazing!

I’ll admit, i didn’t see that film until a couple years ago at the Egyptian. Dang it, made me fall in love with movies all over again.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Silent Light

Il Conformista was a visual revelation.

Visions of light, a documentary that cemented my decision to one day become a cinematographer.

Soy Cuba I knew nothing about this film and went on a whim to see it when it was restored and literally my jaw was on the floor for most of the film.

JB
    I’ve not seen these, they sound fantastic. Will try to find some copies, or maybe later on, after some months, get a group of friends to watch together on a big screen.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    ... Soy Cuba I knew nothing about this film and went on a whim to see it when it was restored and literally my jaw was on the floor for most of the film.

JB
    And it was filmed using the worst (Svema) stock ever.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    most walkers-by were just floored by the audio
    Even though VHS picture quality was limited, VHS Hi-Fi audio was a different animal. The old audio track is a thin line along the side of the tape. Hi-Fi audio, in contrast, is recorded in diagonal stripes across the full width of the tape, like the video.

"Hi-Fi delivered flat full-range frequency response (20 Hz to 20 kHz), excellent 70 dB signal-to-noise ratio (in consumer space, second only to the compact disc), dynamic range of 90 dB, and professional audio-grade channel separation (more than 70 dB). " --- Wikipedia

Because of this, some microbudget music studios recorded to VHS (no picture, just sound), and I have read that it is actually better quality than two-track reel-to-reel audiotape.

---

My father set up our living room like that: a Hi-Fi VCR into his receiver and speakers. Raiders of the Lost Ark sounded great! But with our 27" TV, surround sound was too incongruous and actually pulled us out of the movie. Surround sound only works for me in a theater where it's dark and the screen takes up enough of my angle of view. Otherwise I prefer the sound only in front of me, to match the picture.

But this discussion reminds me that sound is at least as important as picture, and I still have a little soundbar underneath my 50" TV.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Even though VHS picture quality was limited, VHS Hi-Fi audio was a different animal. The old audio track is a thin line along the side of the tape. Hi-Fi audio, in contrast, is recorded in diagonal stripes across the full width of the tape, like the video.

"Hi-Fi delivered flat full-range frequency response (20 Hz to 20 kHz), excellent 70 dB signal-to-noise ratio (in consumer space, second only to the compact disc), dynamic range of 90 dB, and professional audio-grade channel separation (more than 70 dB). " --- Wikipedia

Because of this, some microbudget music studios recorded to VHS (no picture, just sound), and I have read that it is actually better quality than two-track reel-to-reel audiotape...
    Yes, some well heeled buyers used HiFi VCR's as a pseudo reel-to-reel. The problem was in the video tape quality vs. the reel-to-reel and the quality of the build of VCR's vs. reel decks.

The third variable was that a upper-middle cassette deck - not talking about Nakamichi or the nAD - was cheaper than a HiFi VCR and more ubiquitous.

And the fourth, by the time the HiFi prices came down, so did the CD players, which provided superior sound and convenience. Plus, you could play discs in your car or in a portable boombox/player.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    He is so disconnected.

Time has past for the 90ís era movie theater. It has to evolve.

And i for one will not be jumping to spend time in a closed room with a hundred or more people for 3hrs (because he only makes long movies now), just not going to do it.

If art is to be an essential part of society, then it has to have some relevance.... movie theaters do not hold that value at this time, pandemic or no.

I remember going to the theater prior to the internet, and before HD. Definitely was an important part of society back then.

Now? I like it, but i donít see it as essential in its current form. The model for theaters and the content is far too commercial to be worth saving. Like newspapers, if we all carry a reading device, why waste the resources to make giant paper sunday papers?

Movie theaters should not be trying to hold onto the glimmer of cultural relevance it once had. And the insult is that the business model has not changed, but doubled down on 90ís theater experience.

In the 90ís, it was the pinnacle of technology and a way for the masses to share in a cultural experience and ideals. But the business aspect was lazy because it knew we had no other option, and prices began to go up, while experiences didnít. Shortly after the internet and cellphones altered the way we shared information, and that made the theater experience just a preference, and no longer essential.

Now here we are in a pandemic aware society and theaters are still trying to get hundreds of people to hot box in a closed room together.

Consider this, if a movie theater experience with popcorn and a drink can cost roughly $25, and one could buy a sound system for $500, and get 90% of the theater experience from their home on the 60Ē tv they already own, then what exactly is a film shot a year or two ago going to help us feel when we have so many other ways of experiencing shared experiences? $25 in 20 times will afford some one a fairly good sound system. And you donít even have to worry about bedbugs or some stranger talking over the movie.
    Whole heartedly agree with this.

I also think moving away from these big conglomerates bridges the gap for Indi filmmakers producing non commercial content and takes away the monopoly power of these big major studios. This pandemic has certainly allowed us to see we can function with watching movies online while eating our cheap bag of popcorn at home. So no sir I will not be showing love to these theaters that only priced gauged me and my family when they knew we had no other options.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by reem12 View Post
    Whole heartedly agree with this.

I also think moving away from these big conglomerates bridges the gap for Indi filmmakers producing non commercial content and takes away the monopoly power of these big major studios. This pandemic has certainly allowed us to see we can function with watching movies online while eating our cheap bag of popcorn at home. So no sir I will not be showing love to these theaters that only priced gauged me and my family when they knew we had no other options.
    Woah, fantastic thoughts!

Yeah, i am really excited for the future of media, story telling, art, and the community surrounding it!

8. Collapse Details
    I guess Chris Nolan will have a hard time saving AMC.

https://nofilmschool.com/trolls-streaming

There's more at the provided CNBC link but it's kicking me out due to the ad-blocker.

9. Collapse Details
    From that article " AMC refused to show any more Universal movies when cinemas reopen. ". People say the stupidest things. Universal has the movies and AMC has the popcorn. Gee, I wonder how that will work out.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    From that article " AMC refused to show any more Universal movies when cinemas reopen. ". People say the stupidest things. Universal has the movies and AMC has the popcorn. Gee, I wonder how that will work out.
    well now

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast