Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    Anyway, I'm still wondering what, if any switcher to check out more deeply. I'm borrowing a BMD ATEM Mini this week and perhaps not having any preview won't be a deal killer. And I may spend more time with OBS Studio....

Looking forward to what you all learn in the coming weeks!
    I do a ton of live streaming. I use Wirecast Pro a software based switcher/encoder/graphics etc solution. I also
    own an ATEM Mini. And for the record, the ATEM Mini DOES have preview. What it doesn't have is multi view.
    So you can 'preview' one camera other than the one that is live on air. You cannot see ALL cameras which are not on air
    at one time. So say cam 1 is going out live on air. You cannot see cam 2, cam 3 and cam 4 all at the same
    time. You can punch up one of them at a time to the preview monitor. Hope that makes sense.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    For the public meeting, we used a Sony Anycast (Sony AWS-G500E). It's a discontinued product, but a solid performer with a ton of options and configurations. I just saw one on eBay for $500.

3. Collapse Details
    Just for consideration, we are running a custom hardware version of Livestream Studio using several Blackmagic cards in a custom built PC case. I loathe PCs and was nervous about using it but so far,
    for several multi hour live streams with multiple switch cameras, both manned and robotic, external graphics sources, and several channels of audio, this product impresses the hell out of me, its been rock solid.
    I used to TD some live TV back in the days of the Grass Valley 110 and 200 and this Live Stream software mixed with the hardware is pretty impressive, it does pretty much everything a simple video switcher does,
    then a lot more, and takes care of multi channel audio, video roll ins, picture in picture and integrated graphics for L3s and title cards.

If you are handy at building or configuring PCs, (luckily my live stream partner is), this seems like a pretty good way to go. There are a lot of choices out there though and all have their pluses and minuses
    so it'a just like buying a camera or edit system, you have to really weigh all of your choices and what's important to you and your clients needs.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskacameradude View Post
    And for the record, the ATEM Mini DOES have preview. What it doesn't have is multi view.
    So you can 'preview' one camera other than the one that is live on air. You cannot see ALL cameras which are not on air
    at one time.
    Thanks for that. As I mentioned, I haven't done much live streaming, and when I do, I don't run the board. So the preview screens I've glanced at were all multiview, so I conflated the terms. D'oh. So just be sure I'm not extending my ignorance, you're saying with the ATEM Mini, you can have say, cam1 going out to air/net and then preview cam2 without disturbing the cam1 out... Is that right?

PureD writes:
    Just for consideration, we are running a custom hardware version of Livestream Studio using several Blackmagic cards in a custom built PC case. I loathe PCs and was nervous about using it but so far,
    for several multi hour live streams with multiple switch cameras, both manned and robotic, external graphics sources, and several channels of audio, this product impresses the hell out of me, its been rock solid.
    Interesting.

Oh, and about my Zoom Q&A ramble last night. Sorry it's so wordy. I think my main points are that the better webconferencing/meeting SaaS things can handle a few dozen people and have pretty good Q&A tools. And just as we sometimes need to persuade clients that perhaps the marketing director shouldn't conduct the interviews (since we have more experience at getting the responses that will work for what they want), we might want to help guide livecasting clients on how to use the tools to make their panels/events/etc a success. Unless, that is, they have that part of the gig under control.

Useful thread. Thanks everyone.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

5. Collapse Details

Useful thread. Thanks everyone.
    Agreed!

6. Collapse Details
    The ATEM Mini looks like a great little thing, but unavailable at most places and delivery seems unknown. Some resellers in Europe say end of April...

I’ve ordered the ATEM Television HD...

At $495 too much, the Roland V-8HD looks fantastic:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...dmi_video.html
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    Thanks for that. As I mentioned, I haven't done much live streaming, and when I do, I don't run the board. So the preview screens I've glanced at were all multiview, so I conflated the terms. D'oh. So just be sure I'm not extending my ignorance, you're saying with the ATEM Mini, you can have say, cam1 going out to air/net and then preview cam2 without disturbing the cam1 out... Is that right?
    Kinda. You can have preview if you are going to the net, but not if you are going to a local screen
    (which is what I am assuming you might mean when you say 'to air'.)

ATEM Mini has 2 outputs. One is an HDMI out. The other is a USB C out. The USB C can be connected to a
    computer (either via a USB C to USB C cable or for older computers via a USB C to USB A cable). The computer
    'sees' the ATEM Mini as a 'webcam' which allows you to use it to broadcast directly to Facebook, YouTube, Skype,
    Quicktime, or any app that can take a webcam input. It just so happens that this particular 'webcam' can switch
    between 4 different sources! You can then connect a monitor to the HDMI out. It comes configured in the 'cut'
    configuration so you must change that to 'preview/program' in the software. Once you do that, you will get a preview
    on the HDMI out. So as you say, you can have cam1 going to the net and preview cam 2 (or 3 or 4, just not all at once)
    on the HDMI monitor, without affecting the camera that is going out to the net. HOWEVER, if you want to use the HDMI
    out to go directly to a projector or screen (say for IMAG use) instead of to a 'preview' monitor, you have NO preview.
    You cannot 'preview' on the USB C output. Therefore, the only way I am aware of to have preview is when you are
    streaming to the internet. That allows you to use the USB C for your 'program feed' and the HDMI out as your 'preview'
    feed. Hope that makes sense.

However, good luck in finding one right now. I don't think there is a place in the world selling them
    right now and supply chain for making more of them seems to be down for the immediate future.
    I have had 4 or 5 different production companies from around the U.S. offer me 3 to 4 times what I
    bought it for as they want to try offering live-streaming services in the current climate.
    Last edited by alaskacameradude; 03-24-2020 at 12:07 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the details. Yes, I was thinking/hoping USB-C to Laptop-->Internent and HDMI-->Preview.

And I found a local ATEM Mini that's idle (owned by a semi-retired TV acquaintance who's in an at-risk group and won't be heading out for a while ), so I'll be good to go for a few weeks... Well, closer to good to go...

I have had 4 or 5 different production companies from around the U.S. offer me 3 to 4 times what I
    bought it
    Wow.
    Last edited by Jim Feeley; 03-24-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12