Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Like the S1H form factor with a battery grip I wouldn't mind a D1X form factor kick out all photo capabilities so I can simply tell clients that it can't take stills, in exchange for electronic variable ND, improve viewfinder make the LCD a little bigger and a little brighter. Otherwise its pretty much the camera I always wanted since I began wrestling with the 5DII

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    ha ha someone downvoted me.. Bit of kindergarten but go on if it eases your mind.
    If i had done it, then yes, it would have been a kindergarten move. but when it is someone else, much more difficult to pass any meaningful judgement. Sometimes they are just a friend lending some support, and that is far from kindergarten. But perhapa upvotes would be more powerful. Seeing upvotes on another persons posts seem more diplomatic, not escalating or causing bad feelings, while still having the same or better outcome. But i really don’t know much about all of that, and just speculating.

i like you, and i agree with what you were saying about how discussing cameras doesn’t change anything. I’ve never seen any evidence that what i say directly influences design choices in cameras. But i do enjoy talking about camera aesthetics. And i like having a place to talk about it with other avid hobbyists and professionals. For some reason it is normal to talk about how some football team could improve, but it is abnormal to talk about cameras... the things that manufacturers are supposed to be making for us, the professionals, and yet, where else will we talk about it but here? It isn’t exactly dinner table conversation. No, for that we are supposed to talk about sports and how to fix the economy... you know, things we can actually change.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-25-2020 at 01:18 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    Like the S1H form factor with a battery grip I wouldn't mind a D1X form factor kick out all photo capabilities so I can simply tell clients that it can't take stills, in exchange for electronic variable ND, improve viewfinder make the LCD a little bigger and a little brighter. Otherwise its pretty much the camera I always wanted since I began wrestling with the 5DII
    +1

4. Collapse Details
    The way video cameras are made reflect a few different realities:

- Market segments and profit We talk about this to the point of nausea here. I was never a camera manufacturer, i don’t particularly want to empathize with bad design choices for maximum profit. Although it is good to understand where industries are going and being realistic with expectations, all too often these topics justify corporate practices. In any case, we understand companies have had video and stills in separate markets for a long time and that separation of departments and markets means they both get choices made differently

- Public Perception Designers often follow trends, because when they design a product, it typically has to look like the product it is to be. A long shape towards the lens is a video camera. A flat box perpendicular to the lens is a stills camera. Even when the camera is smaller than a DSLR, it has to be elongated to cue the buyer: this is a video camera.

- Manufacturing efficiencies Or the realities of them for profit. In a way this is part of the “market” of things, and in a way it is part of the design of things. But it goes further, it is the choices of making things more “makable”. The reason for a predominantly side facing controls on video cameras could be because some one says that it is easier and cheaper to produce having all the buttons and controls on one flat board. Controls at different angles or different places require slightly more complicated solutions.

there is a big hole in the small video camera segment, and zcam and red are jumping in. Black magic fumbled it, as they made a mirrorless stills camera that shoots video. Rather bad design choices. Still have the hdmi sticking into the operator. But people will buy bm pockets and fuji Xt3 because a pro video centric option doesn’t even exist!!! We are shooting on things not even really design for video centric controls, because the need for a small ergonomic video camera is so strong. But for whatever reason, there is still a huge disconnect with manufacturers.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    If i had done it, then yes, it would have been a kindergarten move. but when it is someone else, much more difficult to pass any meaningful judgement. Sometimes they are just a friend lending some support, and that is far from kindergarten. But perhapa upvotes would be more powerful. Seeing upvotes on another persons posts seem more diplomatic, not escalating or causing bad feelings, while still having the same or better outcome. But i really donít know much about all of that, and just speculating.

i like you, and i agree with what you were saying about how discussing cameras doesnít change anything. Iíve never seen any evidence that what i say directly influences design choices in cameras. But i do enjoy talking about camera aesthetics. And i like having a place to talk about it with other avid hobbyists and professionals. For some reason it is normal to talk about how some football team could improve, but it is abnormal to talk about cameras... the things that manufacturers are supposed to be making for us, the professionals, and yet, where else will we talk about it but here? It isnít exactly dinner table conversation. No, for that we are supposed to talk about sports and how to fix the economy... you know, things we can actually change.
    thanks James for this feedbacl (upvoted )
    and I totally agree. I never downvote I only upvote threads

6. Collapse Details
    For in the future I can see myself owning one of two types of cameras:
    A dslr with battery grip Body with full frame pro specs and body stabilization

Or

An amira/Vaticam LT shoulder mounted

What I am not going to buy is a box with a lens that needs rigging like an fs5, EVA1 or FS7

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    thanks James for this feedbacl (upvoted )
    and I totally agree. I never downvote I only upvote threads
    Thanks Clermond!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    For in the future I can see myself owning one of two types of cameras:
    A dslr with battery grip Body with full frame pro specs and body stabilization

Or

An amira/Vaticam LT shoulder mounted

What I am not going to buy is a box with a lens that needs rigging like an fs5, EVA1 or FS7
    Interesting. To me a Varicam LT and Amira are almost different types of cameras. The Amira is an actually well balanced machine whether prime lens or zoom is attached. The LT with a zoom has to sit further back on the shoulder to even out, which means the controls are behind the ear instead of by the chin. Short body cameras can still be nice. I like LT, Fx9, and Red Ranger bodies, but they are all too short to be well balanced with a mattebox and/zoom. They can still be better than a dslr sized camer, especially when doing a full studio rig and it is nice to have a place for everything. The Ranger body is especially nice because it has so many lemo power ports for power hungry accessories. But all those cameras require some rigging to become balanced shoulder work.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-26-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234