Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Olympics aren't happening as scheduled, impossible in the current world situation.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    I guess the Olympic Committee is going through the same pains that NAB and every other event went through. How do you cancel something you've worked so hard for? From the New York Times:

"Calls to postpone the Tokyo Olympics are growing, with sports organizations opposing Olympic officials’ insistence that the Games go on this summer."

On top of that, they threw away $7 billion tax dollars. In December AP News reported they are spending $12.6 billion of which $7 billion is taxpayer money. I don't know why cities sponsor the Olympics. Studies indicate it is always a big financial loss.
    Last edited by Paul F; 03-22-2020 at 04:59 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry to sound cranky, but I think part of the issue with the NAB wasn't just that they'd worked hard on the show... More that they count on the $25-million (or so) net profit to fund their lobbying efforts in Washington DC and state capitals. Same with the IOC; they make a lot of money off the Olympics...Sure it's an event that lots of people appreciate, but for them, the lost revenue will hurt both their ability to book superfancy hotels and to pursue their philanthropic efforts.

Anyway, I hope the IOC does what's right for the athletes and for the general public.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Japan has noted that their contact with the IOC requires them to stage the Olympics in 2020, but it doesn't set any fixed date. They could hold them the last 2 weeks of December and still be compliant, so ... We will see what happens, but I would be extremely surprised if they occurred on schedule.
    Well, in the state of the world right now, that contract is worth about as much as the paper it's printed on. With a lot of countries and governments recent about face in regards to the IOC and the "prestige" of hosting the Olympics, including the US, I don't think the IOC is in any position to strong-arm a sovereign nation into doing anything. Several US Olympic sports/athletes (I believe swimming and track & field) are lobbying to postpone it. If you get several major countries like the US saying they're not going to participate, it's not going to happen, at least not as and when originally planned.

5. Collapse Details
    I agree from a practical standpoint, and personally I can't imagine how they will take place as scheduled.

6. Collapse Details
    This affects me directly. I already had my flight and hotel itinerary for July. The word is that Japan and the IOC are adamant about getting it done in the summer, but with the actual athletes and teams saying they won’t go, its hard to imagine they will happen in the summer. Initially they said that they would re assess in May. Now they’ve changed it to April. What they are saying is that by no means will they be full on cancelled and a worst case scenario would be postponement.

7. Collapse Details
    Canada is the first country stating they are not going.

It looks like a postpone message from Japan and IOC is only days away....
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 03-22-2020 at 08:57 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I knew it was toast when they said "we will assess in May". May? With the whole world showing up you were going to make a decision 2 months before the open ceremonies? Kind of out of touch imho.

9. Collapse Details
    Australia is out of as well.

10. Collapse Details
    I understand the aspect of “the show must go on” as it provides distraction and entertainment that can help boost morale and spirits in tough times(although I don’t believe that’s necessarily the IOC’s complete motivation, though), but this is on a completely different plane on so many different levels.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast