Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Olympics 2020 Tokyo
    Will the Olympics happen?

Japan’s reaction to crisis

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...an-where-is-it

2. Collapse Details
    It may be unthinkable for Japan to cancel the games. On the other hand when they are confronted with the reality of 13,000 athletes and press corp coming from around a world that is awash with a pretty lethal virus they may change their ideas. The other question is will there be any viable airlines prepared to fly athletes, media and visitors to and from Japan. Will there be visitors prepared to risk and spend a few weeks in a cauldron of humanity from Lord knows where. Then will countries open their arms to all these returning visitors, athletes etc when their own health systems are recovering... if not still swamped that is! The risks of a new inrush of potential virus carriers would be massive. Good grief look at the difficulty of handling the risks involving just one cruise ship alone. This has been a dilemma for a number of countries when confronted with this situation. What if many countries around the world are still recovering from if not still swamped by this pandemic? Germany and the UK have just enacted controls that will stay in place for two years. If the picture Governor Andrew Cuomo is painting in NY State come to pass there is no way most of us will be ready to travel like we used to. Especially if any viable antivirus for distribution to the public is still as many health researchers suggest is still some 12-18 months away.

I may be wrong but I think anyone who is hoping against hope that the Olympics will proceed are extreme optimists. I'm all for optimism but this is bordering on wishful thinking of the desperately hopeful who aren't being realistic.

Chris Young

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Agreed. If I were placing bets, I would bet on no Olympics in 2020.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    The rest of World seems to be in lockdown while Japan is not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...an-where-is-it

5. Collapse Details
    One major hurdle is tryouts for Olympic teams have historically happened leading up to the games. So they have not taken place yet. I do not think any country is in a position right now to be hosting the series of events that encompass making an Olympic team. So the world needs to get real on this - the Olympics are not happening at their current date. Maybe later this year but it would be a better service to the athletes to decide early and decisively. I would say move the games to 2021 so everybody involved can plan accordingly.

6. Collapse Details
    In addition to conducting qualifying trials for events, many athletes are rapidly losing fitness. Long (long long) ago, I was a fulltime athlete. Training to peak for a specific event starts months, and even years, before the event. Even with social distancing, even athletes in non-team sports won't be able train optimally. And athletes in areas with stricter lockdowns will lose more fitness than those in areas with looser restrictions. It seems to me holding the Olympics in 2020 would be unfair and unsporting, as well as unhealthy.

Also, USA Swimming and USA Track & Field have both asked that the Olympics be postponed.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    As much as I want sports and TV to return to normal as quickly as possible, since the bulk of my work is sports related, I will be shocked if the 2020 Olympics happen as planned.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    Will the Olympics happen?
    Yes, in 2021.

9. Collapse Details
    Japan has noted that their contact with the IOC requires them to stage the Olympics in 2020, but it doesn't set any fixed date. They could hold them the last 2 weeks of December and still be compliant, so ... We will see what happens, but I would be extremely surprised if they occurred on schedule.

10. Collapse Details
    Hopefully the IOC would be flexible in this time of great chaos and let them move to 2021 if needed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast