Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hc-X1 is basically a UX180 in a UX90 body, so you lose things like the SDI port. I don't recall all the differences between them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I wish I had a bigger freezer. Mine is full. I hear freezers are low in stock and not sure I would want to spend on one either way.
    How long will you generator run when the power goes down?

I'd invest in solar panels and a wind generator. That will keep your Alexa running too :-)

3. Collapse Details
    But these are interesting times, stock market down, next step: a chance that interest on government bonds will go up. That will bankrupt a few countries, and the next step is a worldwide financial break-down.

Hope not.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    How long will you generator run when the power goes down?

I'd invest in solar panels and a wind generator. That will keep your Alexa running too :-)
    If the power goes down I will take my inflatable canoe and food to Antartica, the one continent that as far as I'm aware has been untouched by the virus, in addition to having a perpetual freezer so I would not need electricity.

Solar panels are expensive and not cost efficient in relation to electricity costs in Georgia. My family runs their house on solar out in California. By then I'll be broke while my dad's government job will keep him rich so if Antarctica doesn't work out there's always family.

Actually, my RV does have 250 watts of solar panels. That could keep the small fridge and freezer running for awhile. But the RV is in the shop now; hopefully they finish fixing it before declaring that the repair shop is closed until the virus is gone (in 18 months!).
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 03-20-2020 at 02:17 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    If you work together to help each other then don't add fuel to the fire by saying, "You might want to try that in the US."
    If your country was 40x bigger and added 250 million people then maybe you would be seeing things differently.
    Fair enough but China is bigger still and the EU is also 500 million.
    Also you do need to learn from the experience of those going through it.

China and the EU effectively sectioned off areas. China by closing off provinces and the EU by countries. Both then sub divided again. A bit like the US doing it state by state and then by county(?) rather than as a single entity. The US is smaller than China in size and population. Europe is smaller but a higher population density.
    China seems to be coming out of it and Italy they think has peaked. The UK is going for "flattening the curve" to lower the loading on the NHS so it doesn't break down, and try to deal with smaller waves for longer. So it is likely to be getting worse in the UK for the next month. These pattens will be watched by the US the contagion modelling people to try to work out the model for the US and how to deal with it. Good Luck.

6. Collapse Details
    I am co-owner of a large windmill a Vestas V80, 3324 MWh per year. I share the windmill with other people in a cooperation. And since then my electricity bills are zero. In a few years that might even turn in some profit.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Hc-X1 is basically a UX180 in a UX90 body, so you lose things like the SDI port. I don't recall all the differences between them.
    Thanks. So as I don't need SDI the HC-X1 is probably the best bet. The only other difference I can see is the UX-180 mentions IR capability the HC-X1 doesn't
    I can't work out the Panasonic strategy here with those three cameras. Other than one is "consumer" and one "pro"

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    Fair enough but China is bigger still and the EU is also 500 million.
    Also you do need to learn from the experience of those going through it.

China and the EU effectively sectioned off areas. China by closing off provinces and the EU by countries. Both then sub divided again. A bit like the US doing it state by state and then by county(?) rather than as a single entity. The US is smaller than China in size and population. Europe is smaller but a higher population density.
    China seems to be coming out of it and Italy they think has peaked. The UK is going for "flattening the curve" to lower the loading on the NHS so it doesn't break down, and try to deal with smaller waves for longer. So it is likely to be getting worse in the UK for the next month. These pattens will be watched by the US the contagion modelling people to try to work out the model for the US and how to deal with it. Good Luck.
    The US and China are physically around the same size but obviously China has way more people.

At the end of the day, this is difficult. Every country and its areas are dealing with it in their own way(s). We are all set in our ways and America is no exception. But a [random] country the size of New York with 10 million and certain views, and a country with 310 million and certain views, and a country with 1.4 billion and certain views may and do all deal with it differently.

People were not prepared for this. We are trying to learn as we move along and everyone (we hope) is doing the best they can (as a majority), but in hindsight only history (we hope) will tell.

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Back to the original topic…

I look at stocking a pantry the way some people look at stocking their clothes closet. What I want is a small number of versatile things that can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of dishes. And I want some basic staples that allow me to make things that other people have to go to the store to buy.

Here’s a sampling of what’s in my pantry…

- Canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
    - Chicken and beef stock. (And some chicken bone broth.)
    - Multiple varieties of rice.
    - A variety of shapes of pasta.
    - Flours (all-purpose, whole wheat, bread and cake).
    - Sugars (white, brown, powdered, molasses, honey and corn syrup).
    - Yeast (active dry).
    - Cereal and granola.
    - Shelf-stable soy and oat milk.
    - Tea and coffee.
    - Chocolate and chocolate chips.
    - Nuts (walnuts, pecans, and peanuts).
    - Dried beans, split peas, and lentils.
    - Herbs, spices, and dried chiles.

In my freezer (which isn’t that big, it’s one of those freezer-below-the-fridge ones), I have…

- Vacuum-sealed pork chops, chicken parts, ground beef patties, and tri-tip steak.
    - Frozen mixed vegetables.
    - Homemade soups (vacuum-sealed).
    - Frozen fruits for smoothies.

With this stuff around, the wife and I have eaten every meal at home for the last week or more. Last night I made homemade Detroit-style pizza, and this morning we had egg sandwiches on homemade bread with bacon and cheddar. I’ve got a batch of split-pea soup in the fridge, and tonight we’re having chicken piccata over whole wheat pasta. And there’s one last slice of carrot cake in the fridge, which I’ll polish off tonight.

Baking homemade bread and making pizza dough couldn’t be easier, and knowing how to do these things means I don’t have to fight crowds at the store. (Or at least not as often.) And since most of the restaurants in Austin are closed (or have gone to take-out or delivery only), being able to cook at home is probably the best gift I can give my family.

If you can operate a camera, you can put a pot of soup together. ;)
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

10. Collapse Details
    That's a lot of food.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast