Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Live Multicam Streaming
    Hey!

As a result of the Corona thing Iíve gotten some requests to do live streams for bands that have had their tours cancelled.
    Even though there wonít be much money in it at this point, I was already a bit interested in it. So this could be a good opportunity to dip my toes in it a bit.

Trying to figure out what hardware I would need.

The Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini seems to be almost perfect for my initial needs. And itís very affordable at Ä270. It is, however, back-ordered everywhere (if anyone know a reseller that has it in stock in Europe, let me know).
    Step up would be the Blackmagic Television Studio HD at Ä800. Which also would need some extra gizmo to get the video to my computer for streaming, which would mean at least Ä1000 total. So a bit of an investment.

Is there anything else on the market thatís affordable and decent? The Roland V-8HD looks great but only available for preorder at this time...

Thanks?
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

2. Collapse Details
    Getting the video from the switcher into the computer is trivial. Magewell SDI USB capture card, Elegato CamLink and HD60, AJA UTap, Blackmagic Mini Recorder and Decklink cards can all capture SDI or HDMI video into your computer. Once it's there, OBS can stream it to basically any platform you need.

3. Collapse Details
    The Blackmagic Television Studio HD will still be at least 3x more expensive than the ATEM Mini (which connects directly to the computer for streaming). Hmmm....
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

4. Collapse Details
    Consider any potential syncing issues/delays with some setups (if applicable).

[Not my field, but just a thought.]

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Consider any potential syncing issues/delays with some setups (if applicable).
    Been thinking of that... which is a point for going with a cheaper setup to test the waters without risking too much... but also because Corona a lot of things are being delayed so who knows when it’s gonna be available...

6. Collapse Details
    I don't know a ton about it, but I just directed and TD my first live stream for a University, two cameras, plus title cards from in house IT department.
    I used Live Stream Studio by Vimeo in a built out PC using Blackmagic cards, it worked great and I was impressed as hell by the software, the audio
    options were cool, the video options were amazingly full featured.

The thing you'll quickly learn about streaming is all that matters is the Ethernet or wireless connection. The video part of it is super easy if you have
    live TV experience as I do, it's the streaming providers, the uplink site, Ethernet config, there are a LOT of things that go wrong and guess who will
    get the blame even if it's totally out of your control?

Just beware. You can read a little about my experience here https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/ready-camera-1-take-1/
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    You can read a little about my experience here https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/ready-camera-1-take-1/
    nice article

8. Collapse Details
    I do a fair bit of live streaming. I just finished up a marathon 5 day basketball tournament
    (8 games per day/5 days long.) It will probably end up being the last big event held
    in our state for some time as everything is getting cancelled. Anyways, you don't
    need an ATEM Mini although it's certainly nice to have for the price. You can use
    a computer with a software switcher and a few capture cards, I use Wirecast but
    vMix, Livestream Studio, Mimo, Production Truck, OBS, Xsplit and many other software
    video switching programs are also good choices. And then there are the Live CG/Titling
    add on programs like NewBlue's Titler Live.

I'm working on a pretty long blog post about the big basketball tournament right now
    (because all of my jobs have cancelled for the month and what else do I have to do???)
    but I already have two past blog posts about doing this sort of thing:

http://alaskacameradude.blogspot.com...and-other.html

http://alaskacameradude.blogspot.com...2/the-300.html

9. Collapse Details
    The mini is a neat pice of kit - I've got mine networked so I can drag stuff into it from photoshop and the best thing is that the HDMI latency is much better than I expected - I'm not getting lip sync issues. I have added 4 HDMI splitters and a 4 input monitor device so I can use a single monitor for multi view - this was just the price ion a few splitters and £40 or so for the 4way combiner. It has a few oddities, but is a neat piece of kit.

10. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    The mini is a neat pice of kit.
    I got one to add into my cart along with the Television Studio HD and I agree. I don't use the switchers for live stuff, more as a clean input switcher for "single camera" shows (which almost never are) and the frame store is invaluable for me as a reference tool. Sometimes I pull temp chromakeys for visualization on set, and was pleased to see how much better the keyer is in the Mini vs the more expensive Studio HD. So I'm basically using the mini as an additional mix bus.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast