Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Informative and beautifully written article by Arundhati Roy about coronavirus in India: https://www.ft.com/content/10d8f5e8-...e-fcd274e920ca

The takeaways are that India was unprepared because they were distracted by domestic politics before the virus. Then they instituted a sudden lockdown without regard for welfare or how it would impact the working poor and homeless who don't live in gated communities. The result was chaos and mass exodus. The virus hasn't spread widely yet but they fear the worst. She thinks this pandemic will be a break from the past and we may be able to build a better future.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Informative and beautifully written article by Arundhati Roy about coronavirus in India: https://www.ft.com/content/10d8f5e8-...e-fcd274e920ca

The takeaways are that India was unprepared because they were distracted by domestic politics before the virus. Then they instituted a sudden lockdown without regard for welfare or how it would impact the working poor and homeless who don't live in gated communities. The result was chaos and mass exodus. The virus hasn't spread widely yet but they fear the worst. She thinks this pandemic will be a break from the past and we may be able to build a better future.
    Exactly the same excuse being given here, by some.

*NOT A POLITICAL POST. Just ironic that that exact excuse is being used in more than one country.*

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post

*NOT A POLITICAL POST. Just ironic that that exact excuse is being used in more than one country.*
    Right - obviously they should have been better prepared. The author is definitely not defending her government. I think she's just remarking that there was a lot of Muslim-Hindu sectarian violence in the lead-up to the pandemic but not a lot of pandemic response strategizing.

4. Collapse Details
    Holy crap - check out this radical editorial in the Financial Times: https://amp.ft.com/content/7eff769a-...mpression=true

"Radical reforms — reversing the prevailing policy direction of the last four decades — will need to be put on the table. Governments will have to accept a more active role in the economy. They must see public services as investments rather than liabilities, and look for ways to make labour markets less insecure. Redistribution will again be on the agenda; the privileges of the elderly and wealthy in question. Policies until recently considered eccentric, such as basic income and wealth taxes, will have to be in the mix."

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Holy crap - check out this radical editorial in the Financial Times: https://amp.ft.com/content/7eff769a-...mpression=true

"Radical reforms — reversing the prevailing policy direction of the last four decades — will need to be put on the table. Governments will have to accept a more active role in the economy. They must see public services as investments rather than liabilities, and look for ways to make labour markets less insecure. Redistribution will again be on the agenda; the privileges of the elderly and wealthy in question. Policies until recently considered eccentric, such as basic income and wealth taxes, will have to be in the mix."
    This is getting close to "politics". No doubt society will look different after this epidemic. But to get away - somewhat - from politics and somewhat back to what this thread was supposed to be about: how will work for film/video people look in the future as a result of this experience?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    How will work for film/video people look in the future as a result of this experience?
    It looks like Blackmagic is positioning itself for post-covid video workflows.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/04/...atem-mini-pro/

I imagine that large gatherings may be cancelled for the next year or so. Live streaming events will become more popular. Might be time to transition into live streaming production.
    Benjamin Bettenhausen
    Mahalo Video
    www.mahalovideo.com

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post

That's societal default... "normalcy bias," some call it. We bop around day after day, embroiled in routine and immediacy, to the extent that we willfully shut out obvious, distant signs of extreme danger. Of course, I question why anyone was surprised at one of the most carelessness and pathologically dishonest nations responsible for the most murders in world history being careless, dishonest, and possibly murderous, but hey... above my pay grade.

This was a giant telegraphed punch that most of us were too busy or too poor to do anything about (except Taiwan, that knows the evil better than anyone).
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjobe View Post
    It looks like Blackmagic is positioning itself for post-covid video workflows.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/04/...atem-mini-pro/

I imagine that large gatherings may be cancelled for the next year or so. Live streaming events will become more popular. Might be time to transition into live streaming production.
    I think you're right, and it's interesting that their sample shots depict a wedding. I haven't seen any increase in job requests for livestreams yet, but everything is still locked down... I don't think this will be a permanent trend after the vaccine is developed, though.

It's lame that the Atem Mini requires an HDMI connection. I live streamed a 3-camera concert last year with the Sling Studio Hub and it was a dream! Plug and play, HDMI to wifi boxes on the cameras so you get a wireless signal going into the hub. And from there the hub connected to ethernet. In that particular situation, it would have been awful to run long HDMI cables.

Although I suppose you could buy your own HDMI wireless video transmitters to connect to the switcher...
    Last edited by ahalpert; 04-04-2020 at 03:04 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    This is getting close to "politics". No doubt society will look different after this epidemic. But to get away - somewhat - from politics and somewhat back to what this thread was supposed to be about: how will work for film/video people look in the future as a result of this experience?
    I suspect that Ben is right and livestreams will be very popular until the vaccine. After that, I expect things to return to business as usual (and hopefully government will be better prepared for the next novel virus.)

I've read predictions, though, that Hollywood and the TV industry will shift to more decentralized production - both in terms of spreading production to more regions as well as rolling TV production throughout the year instead of having a concentrated season - to protect themselves from a future shock.

10. Collapse Details
    This from Scott Gottlieb MD (former FDA chief): "1/2 Absent major technological breakthrough before fall (effective drugs) American life won’t normalize, economic activity won’t snap back. Which makes it frustrating why policy makers seem oddly unfocused about getting the kinds of therapeutics that should be obtainable.

2/2 If we can’t get a very effective medicine cabinet by Summer, and sharply reduce the threat from #COVID19, then the alternative will be to start considering what Fall looks like when we can only operate at a 75% economy — and take more steps now to mitigate ensuing hardships."

Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast