Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I think this is a situation where I'd rather have people err on the side of caution. It's one thing to engage in a risky behaviour when you are the only one it can impact, like, say, rock climbing, or jumping out of a plane. But here you could unwittingly put others at risk, people who might not even know they are in a risk group. I just read a story about a twenty year old who fell ill from the virus, was told by doctors not to worry, and died within a few days. Turned out, he had undiagnosed leukemia, which accelerated the effects of the virus. What's happening isn't just about you alone. People should heed the word of health officials until they give us the all clear.
    Sure, but in any case people should not use isolated statistics to falsely exaggerate risks that are not true. That's all I was saying.

2. Collapse Details
    In positive news, seems an old malaria drug and an anti-biotic shows promise as a treatment and is being fast tracked by the FDA--

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/fr...d-19-duration/

Of course, there are already idiots taking it off book, incorrectly dosing and making themselves sick from it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I have a few ebay searches, for products i may someday buy. One of which is “Leica R”. Typically, i’ll see 11-40 new entries. Today, new Leica R listings were 78. This is just anecdotal evidence of the flood of used gear, or unbought relisted gear. But i rarely, if ever, see such a high number.

In these times, it can be tempting to sell that prized tool, the one you use for making money, but be selective in what you sell. Find other things, even small things that might add up. Things that aren’t providing income or opportunity.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-19-2020 at 01:35 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    For anyone interested, this youtube channel has a lot of information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos/videos

This website offers insight into how doctors are treating patients.

https://emcrit.org/ibcc/COVID19/

5. Collapse Details
    Had to run by the vet earlier today to pick up medicine for one of the dogs, that I called in the other day. I pull up, get out and walk up to the entrance. Pull on the door, locked. Pull on the other door, locked. WTF, I just saw someone with a dog standing out here when I pulled up and they went inside. Look down and there's a sign saying to call them. They basically have the building on lock-down to any outside people. If you have an appointment, you have to call them when you arrive and they will send someone outside to get your animal, but owners/outside people are not allowed in and payments are made over the phone. Okay, that's fine. I get it. That wasn't the bad part. The annoying part was, when you called, you had to listen to a THREE MINUTE long pre-recorded message about just that BEFORE you could talk to a person.

6. Collapse Details
    The Cannes Film festival was just 'post-poned', and will likely be cancelled, which directly impacts me because a big chunk of my yearly trailer work comes from the festival. Hopefully things get back to somewhat normal before the American Film Market in November, my other busy period. It's possible there will be an uptick in jobs in the coming weeks as people frantically try to get their films up on streaming sites to take advantage of all the shut ins. With the markets crashing, there might be less cash flow, but I'm pretty cheap so people looking for a deal might come my way. I'm rather fortunate in that I have been doing my job at home for decades, my daughter was already pretty much home schooling, and my wife doesn't work so this situation has made almost no difference to my lifestyle. I'm sure this is going to be fun for some people at first, but they'll probably be going stir crazy in a couple weeks while it will be business as usual for me.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Does it typically, though? I thought it was much quicker than that because whenever we hear about an outbreak in an area (like Seattle), it seems it's just a couple or few days later that we hear deaths being reported. The virus just started in America exactly one month ago ago and we already have over a hundred deaths, many from much closer to the January 19 start point. I'm sure in some cases a person can survive for weeks with the virus and then die, but from what I've seen it kills much quicker than that when it does kill. I imagine it takes the old and unhealthy much quicker on average than a healthy person such as that doctor who had an abnormally high level of exposure to it but was as far as I know otherwise healthy.

And why do so many people use the fallacy of providing small statistics to back up a claim? It's really irritating. The most common is, "Young people can die from this. Check it out, this ONE young healthy person just died from it." So what. Young people can die from being struck by lightning even without a storm nearby, so now we can't ever go outside again? It would be cool if people would stick to overall broad statistics that actually matter rather than pointing out exceptions. Broad statics are worth taking note of and acting upon, rare exceptions, not so much. The people who bring up isolated statistics like that are probably the same ones who quoted "that one episode of House used a Canon 5D" to falsly imply that a 5D is a commonly worthy camera for high budget production.

I'm not saying young people can't die or get sick or be in the hospital for weeks or that they don't need to worry about it; I'm just saying bringing up isolated incidents is not helpful when one should be sticking to broad statistics that more accurately show what the actual risks are.
    The reason people die soon after you hear they were infected is that we aren't adequately testing. By the time their infection is tested, they're already at death's door.

I developed a fever on March 10. (I've had my flu shot.) I was told that I couldn't receive a test unless I was sick enough to be hospitalized because there is a shortage.

And I live not far from New Rochelle, NY, where the national guard was called in on March 12 to impose containment because of the uncontrolled outbreak there.

8. Collapse Details

9. Collapse Details
    No impact financially (poor) nor personally (introvert) for me. Retired and housed -Thank God. Shutdowns-> Liquor store now open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m
    formally 9:30 to 10 pm. We've been through the prohibition period before so...still got beers;).
    It took me 2 days to find toilet paper though.hehe.
    Probably not what you want to hear right now, or not???
    My reality (not so sober right now) non the less.
    Others ofcourse, I have empathy for.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

10. Collapse Details
    The state of Florida has activated their Disaster Loan program.
    https://floridadisasterloan.org/application/

Enacted after Hurricane Andrew leveled the southern third of Miami Dade County in 1992 (I lived and shot that one daily for months), it provides 0% one year loans of up to $50,000 for businesses of 2-100 people which can demonstrate economic impacts as a result of COVID-19 (me, again).

I don't need the cash, but I find it hard to turn down a 0% loan (even in this market), especially for a small enough amount that the payments aren't onerous.

I hate loans and debt (have nearly none, only 3.5yrs left on my home is it), paid cash for a 2016 van 3 months ago, and which will become a camper van vs production van much quicker than I originally envisioned, but 0% is 0%.
    Maybe pocket $5k-$10k cash? For camper van gas? Or the post-apocalypse?

Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast