Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 596
  1. Collapse Details
    #91
    Senior Member Mike Krumlauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    OG from Chicago. Currently in Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,488
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    My wife is pregnant so her immune system may be compromised. Additionally, some young people are winding up in the ICU and dying or developing permanent lung damage.

    So either you're fine or there's a small but definite chance that didn't previously exist that you will suffer or die. And the odds of contracting the disease are quite high, especially if you live near a hotspot.
    Paul has a tendency to be the scrooge of DVXuser. Honestly Paul, you're coming off like because it most likely will not severely impact you or your wallet we all should calm down. While I most likely will not get the virus, the impact of how my country (like other countries) are handling it has cost me my paycheck temporarily... its not just about the fear of getting sick and dying, its a credible fear of what life financially for me and millions of people are going to be like once this BS is over... instead of being so blunt force negative about a lot of things people talk about on here, maybe share some empathy because we all are getting hit by this pandemic in different ways that will in some cases reshape how our lives go forward both in terms of health, safety and money. Please lighten up. To add, my fiance is a type 1 diabetic with pre hypertension so even if i get infected and am a symptomatic or a minor cold flu, it has a very high chance of killing him... and I really would not be able to live with myself if I was the one who spread the infection to make him vulnerable.
    Cameras
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HVR-Z1u HDV Camera

    LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

    Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

    Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #92
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Let's stop the fear mongering and engage brains here!
    I tend to think I have a brain, and I use it a lot, and I disagree with your conclusions. I used to think as you do. I no longer do. And I strongly suspect that a week from now, you will have changed your thinking quite a bit too.

    I have been around the block a few times. I have watched this story develop. And I have steadfastly avoided the "opinion commentators" on the news, instead focusing on those who, to the best of our knowledge, are the best experts in the world on situations like this.

    They do not agree with your assertion that 99% of us will, at worst, have a cold.

    Italy is the 8th largest economy in the world, with a thoroughly modern health care system. Reading first-hand reports from doctors and health workers there provides a rather sobering contrast to the grasshoppers currently fiddling away on the beaches for Spring Break and in the packed bars on St. Patrick's day.


    6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #93
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    1,563
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I tend to think I have a brain, and I use it a lot, and I disagree with your conclusions. I used to think as you do. I no longer do. And I strongly suspect that a week from now, you will have changed your thinking quite a bit too.

    I have been around the block a few times. I have watched this story develop. And I have steadfastly avoided the "opinion commentators" on the news, instead focusing on those who, to the best of our knowledge, are the best experts in the world on situations like this.

    They do not agree with your assertion that 99% of us will, at worst, have a cold.

    Italy is the 8th largest economy in the world, with a thoroughly modern health care system. Reading first-hand reports from doctors and health workers there provides a rather sobering contrast to the grasshoppers currently fiddling away on the beaches for Spring Break and in the packed bars on St. Patrick's day.
    Amen!


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    7,355
    Default
    Netflix and others urged to switch to SD streaming because of the increase in traffic.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/netflix-o...154145328.html


     

  5. Collapse Details
    #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West of the Pecos
    Posts
    2,441
    Default
    One thing I've learned is to be very skeptical about what's being said in the early days of any major event. 'They' just don't know. Reports come out with the information at hand. Over time, the information changes quite a bit from what is first reported. My tendency now is to think things are much worse than being reported. Chernobyl and Fukushima come to mind.

    With that in mind, here's interesting information about death rates - The death rate being reported was for all cases. But at this website, they are reporting the death rate for closed cases (meaning they are dead or are now over the virus). The death rate for closed cases is 10%. So now what are we to believe? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

    For those of you on Spring Break in Florida and insist on having a good time because you are young and Spring Break is important, or if you think people are being over dramatic, if you are in a town of 100,000 and you took part in infecting everyone, if the above statistic is correct, you helped kill 10,000 people.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #96
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    902
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    One thing I've learned is to be very skeptical about what's being said in the early days of any major event. 'They' just don't know. Reports come out with the information at hand. Over time, the information changes quite a bit from what is first reported. My tendency now is to think things are much worse than being reported. Chernobyl and Fukushima come to mind.

    With that in mind, here's interesting information about death rates - The death rate being reported was for all cases. But at this website, they are reporting the death rate for closed cases (meaning they are dead or are now over the virus). The death rate for closed cases is 10%. So now what are we to believe? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

    For those of you on Spring Break in Florida and insist on having a good time because you are young and Spring Break is important, if you are in a town of 100,000 and you took part in infecting everyone, if the above statistic is correct, you helped kill 10,000 people.
    I look at Italy and S. Korea and shudder because our approach and results thus far are much more like Italy


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #97
    Senior Member Eric Coughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,350
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    One thing I've learned is to be very skeptical about what's being said in the early days of any major event. 'They' just don't know. Reports come out with the information at hand. Over time, the information changes quite a bit from what is first reported. My tendency now is to think things are much worse than being reported. Chernobyl and Fukushima come to mind.

    With that in mind, here's interesting information about death rates - The death rate being reported was for all cases. But at this website, they are reporting the death rate for closed cases (meaning they are dead or are now over the virus). The death rate for closed cases is 10%. So now what are we to believe? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

    For those of you on Spring Break in Florida and insist on having a good time because you are young and Spring Break is important, if you are in a town of 100,000 and you took part in infecting everyone, if the above statistic is correct, you helped kill 10,000 people.
    That’s one way to skew statistics. Let’s imagine it takes four days to die or three weeks to recover. So in the first two weeks and six days of the virus, imagine if of 1000 reported cases 20 people died and zero recovered (because no one has gotten to three weeks yet). Oh snap, that’s a 100% death rate for closed cases. Let’s panic from skewed statistics.


    0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,595
    Default
    FWIW, the spring breakers are inadvertently correct. Exposure to the UV rays - aka sunlight - higher temperatures and alcohol make all flu group viruses weaker to the point of disappearing almost entirely during the summers.


    1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #99
    Default
    Easy, guys. If you're going to disagree on a forum, especially about a controversial subject, stick to evidence. Do not, under any circumstances, talk about the person you're disagreeing with. Do not answer sarcastically either. I love sarcasm, but I try not to use it online. It often doesn't translate, and I'm using it to kid people. If you use it in a serious disagreement, it will die in a fire.

    Samurai would commit seppuku rather than face shame. I've noticed that ordinary people, while not stabbing themselves in the gut, will do all sorts of acrobatics to avoid shame.

    If you contradict someone in a way that dumps shame on them, they will have a hard time accepting your argument, because it would embarrass them.

    Furthermore, if they disagree with you, they will have a hard time just silently ignoring you. Now they must answer, to defend themselves. Now it's no longer about whether the coronavirus does x, y, and z, but whether Bob is stupid, and Bob doesn't want to be seen as stupid.

    Bob will likely hurl some kind of response in kind back to you, and now you find yourself going through the same feelings Bob just went through. And so on, on and on.

    Then a moderator lands upon the thread and sees that people are fighting.

    LOCKED.

    EDIT: It hasn't gotten there yet, but I thought I saw bubbles surfacing.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 03-19-2020 at 11:11 AM.


     

  10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    7,355
    Default
    Most here probably don't follow WWE, but the company continues to run production on their weekly shows in their performance center with no audience (that's where they train upcoming potential talent and have small side shows), and this is a clip of a promo between two top stars (I started the link at the best part).

    If you didn't know, you'd think they were doing some kind of rehearsal here but this was live on television:

    https://youtu.be/-ruCcewe7IM?t=108


     

Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •