Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    These guys are very pro-business.
    Frankly, I would hope everybody is very pro-business, how else would you want to have a healthy economy?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Frankly, I would hope everybody is very pro-business, how else would you want to have a healthy economy?
    Sure we are - but the idea that Trump and Johnson care less about the economy than anyone else and that's why they shut it down strains credulity.

Also, being "pro-busines" usually implies big business, which is different from being pro-economic growth.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 04-06-2020 at 01:14 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Also - the media is taking a huge hit from this, too. Ad revenues have plummeted and outlets and newspapers are in dire straits. They make their money from advertisers and not their audience, after all.

Plus, does anyone really think that Trump or Boris Johnson would shut down their economies if they didn't have to? These guys are very pro-business. Johnson's in the hospital with covid as we speak.
    And according to CNN, he is now in intensive care.

4. Collapse Details
    Twilight Zone - I love that thought. Are you thinking of the episode where he falls asleep reading in the bank vault? "But there was time now..." I'm pretty sure everyone else just got fed up with our obsessiveness...probably wise. But dammit I hate situations where I have no control.
    Absolutely! Burgess Meredith in the vault/reading/glasses episode! Well done, sir!

There are times we have no control, but can trust someone with expertise (my skydiving instructor).
    Yet in this ultimate case of trust, it seems so difficult to trust, and who do you trust?

Yes, it's a very complicated disease, with human behavior (a notoriously difficult thing to deal with), hundreds of governments of many types and many levels, rapid changes and conflicting interests. But are the best (possible) decisions being made, and what are they?

Those who lived through the Great Depression were changed for life. Hording, not trusting banks and saving money under the mattress, etc. How will those who survive this pandemic be changed? Compulsive hand washers, fear of crowds?
    How will we look back at 2020 in hindsight? (sorry, couldn't resist).

And will we go mad waiting? (on a more serious note- domestic abuse is rising. Globally. That's some ugly collateral damage).
    Personally, Dr groveChuck recommends everybody stay calm and have more (consensual) sex.
    Maybe there will be a mini baby boom in 9-15+ months?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    My favorite Twilight Zone is a post Rod Serling episode from the remake where a man comes to the door with a box that has a button on it. He tells a couple he will give them one million dollars if they press the button. He also tells them that someone they don't know will die.
    Yes! My other fave episode! Why the hell can't they write stuff like that these days??? (not literally like that, but original, tight stories).

Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    Fiscal and monetary stimulus by the government has limited damage to the aggregate demand. If the demand side is not too damaged, then a V-shaped recovery is still possible. That possibility however recedes the longer this lockdown continues. If this goes on longer you will be looking at a U-shape recovery or even worse.
    I've been seeing predictions of a W-shaped recovery, and I'm leaning toward that prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjobe View Post
    Speaking of Nyquist (sort of), I noticed in my Quest For Alcohol that Nyquil and Pepto Bismol had flown off the shelves, too..

What if the business kills people? I covered the 1996 ValuJet crash into The Everglades for weeks, and learned of the airlines/FAA value of a life vs cost of safety equipment formula. I forget the number, but ahalpert quotes today's number. Actuarials, gotta love 'em...
    And Boeing's 737 Max decisions? Very pro-business...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Attachment 138810 2018 Harley Fat Bob.
    Sweet. F-ing. Ride!!! Hope you're riding that baby daily, back and forth across the Extremely Socially Distanced Desert!!!

Random Thought #13
    Since I mentioned earlier it seemed like about 10 of us are participating in the thread (at this point), where is DVX ranking in your Time Spent On Site ranking? I think it's top 5 for me, NYT #1.

PS- where's DLD???

6. Collapse Details
    Lastly, speaking of the economy (and of course the market and the economy aren't the same thing), you see the market today?
    S&P +7%, AAPL +8.7%, MSFT +7.4%, PYPL +10% Badabing! Today. Tomorrow's another story.
    Did Wall Street take happy pills today? Did I miss some good news? (was out doing my mega shop before final 14 day lockdown).
    Seems like 2 down days, 1 up day on average recently? The tail of the Bull won't let go?

Personal prep-wise, I ordered a bottle of aloe to mix with alcohol to make sanitizer, but also came across this site.
    Haven't ordered from them before, but I got more gloves and sanitizer:
    https://www.homeandmart.com/collections/hot-sale
    Their Terms seem to have US legal language, FWIW...

Site.jpg

And why did I buy their sanitizer?
    Because this is the Prioritized state of Amazon and Purell these days (the second item is an off brand. And even more expensive).

San.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    Maybe there will be a mini baby boom in 9-15+ months?
    Yes there will be, and around 2033 those kids' generation will be known as the QuaranTeens.

8. Collapse Details
    Sweet. F-ing. Ride!!! Hope you're riding that baby daily, back and forth across the Extremely Socially Distanced Desert!!!
    Thanks! 30,500 miles so far... coast to coast once (sort of, the gulf coast to the shores of Lake Michigan) and (as said before) three Iron Butt qualifications. It's just out of warranty, so I'm thinking of getting a big bore 131 cubic inch kit installed (that would bring it up to over 2.1 liters, 2146 cc...) and around 140 horsepower... I think I've hit 1/3 of the states on it so far.

9. Collapse Details
    What if the business kills people? I covered the 1996 ValuJet crash into The Everglades for weeks, and learned of the airlines/FAA value of a life vs cost of safety equipment formula. I forget the number, but ahalpert quotes today's number. Actuarials, gotta love 'em...
    And Boeing's 737 Max decisions? Very pro-business...
    Airlines are a great industry! Do you fly and take advantage of this industry like almost everybody?

Yes, accidents happen but traveling by plane is generally very safe. The airline industry is a great thing, and essential to any nation.

I don't get it, would you like to go back to the stone age?

10. Collapse Details
    Airlines are a great industry! Do you fly and take advantage of this industry like almost everybody?

Yes, accidents happen but traveling by plane is generally very safe. The airline industry is a great thing, and essential to any nation.

I don't get it, would you like to go back to the stone age?
    You sound like a spokesman

Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 LastLast